Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: nervouse breakdown
Created On 3/8/05 4:36 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Vicki
Junior Supporter

3/8/05 4:36 PM

Hi, I am currently suffering from anxiety & panick attacks, Bh & thanks to the wonderful ppl on this site I took the step & got myself a phycologist.

Sometimes when I have a rough day or I have lots of stress I start feeling panicky & I feel like my nerves are sort of weak.

It scares me b/c a friend of mine had a nervouse breakdown & even though shes on meds she never got back to her old self.

My phycologist said that feeling that I have, for ex. feeling faint or having a heart attack or going insane is ONLY part of the anxiety & WONT actually happen.. So where is the line between anxiety/panick attacks & actually having a nervous breakdown?

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

3/10/05 1:15 PM

That is a good question. When I thought I was going "crazy" they told me it wasn't going to happen too. Why not ask your your psychologist.
Whatever it is, it is true that panic is an emotion. You are not really going crazy.

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

3/14/05 9:37 AM

Vicki,

Try not to worry so much! B"H you got yourself help and I'm sure that your pyschologist would inform you if you were in danger!

Kol hakavod for taking care of yourself!! I'm soo jealous! I never got up the courage (or money) to see anyone, and although B"H I am feeling much better since I'm so busy with school and life, I still worry that I made a mistake by not putting enough effort into helping myself...

Bottom

Vicki
Junior Supporter

3/15/05 5:02 PM

Thanks for replying. I spoke to my therapist about it. & also since I started therapy I learnt how to deal with those feelings , so I am not afraid of it anymore.

Lookingforhelp, Its not so hard to take the step. It does look alot harder than it really is! My therapist told me to read some books & I must say its helping me alot. How aboutyou start of by reading some books?

Peace from Nervouse Suffering by Dr Claire weekes
Hope & help for your Nerves by Dr Claire Weekes.

I never felt like soemone understands me soo well as this author.

Bottom

Vicki
Junior Supporter

3/15/05 5:04 PM

Forgot to write that theese books are for panick/anxiety.

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

3/16/05 7:41 PM

Thanks Vicki, but B"H I struggle more with depression than with anxiety and I have purchased a handfull of books (both Jewish and secular) which have helped me alot in the past. Maybe it's time to pull them out again!!

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

3/18/05 1:27 AM

For anxiety and depressions, I often recommend keeping a journal regularly. It helps to get cares, thoughts, concerns off the chest, it is interesting to watch the progression and patterns, and it helps people to find their "true voice"; the person inside who is calm, wise, etc. Just a thought.

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

3/18/05 7:38 AM

I started writing in the Memo section of my palm pilot and then on the margins of my notes during class because I felt overwhelmed by this feeling to express myself somehow! After over a year of random thoughts all over my notebooks, I tried writing in a journal, but to no avail! When I feel like it's a formal setting, and I MUST write in this book, the words just don't come. So I'm back to writing during classes again, and then I just have to make sure not to lend anyone my notes!!

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

3/27/05 11:25 PM

Lookin'
If writing in the margins helps, gezunta-he. The reason I like having the entries in one central place is that it is harder to lose and easier to track the progression of thought.
Adam Lynn

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

3/28/05 5:11 AM

Doc,
What you say totally makes sense, it's just when I try to write everything down in ONE central place... nothing comes out! I blank out and have nothing to say, even though it's all sitting on the edge my tounge dying to be expressed...

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

4/5/05 3:14 AM

Can you bring the journal to class and write in it instead of the margins?
A Lynn

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

4/5/05 2:22 PM

Thats a really good idea!! I never even thought of that!! IY"H I'm going to try that tomorrow and I'll see how it goes! Just one question, should it just start from where I am now, or should I leave blank pages that maybe, someday I will fill in stuff from before?

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

4/7/05 1:22 AM

Lookin'
How did it go?
A Lynn

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

4/7/05 1:24 AM

Is anyone else journaling? What are your experiences?
A Lynn

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

4/7/05 2:09 AM

It's really good Doc!!
I'm really excited about finally having all my thoughts down in one single place, where I can reflect back from time to time... my only thing is, I am now paranoid that someone is going to read it!! What can I do?

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

12/25/05 6:40 AM

Hey Doc! How are you?

I just wanted to let you know that I have currently been writing almost daily in my diary, for over 6 months!! And, not only that, but I have convinced a bunch of my friends who also needed to vent, to start journals as well- and they have!

Thanks Doc!! And a frielechen Chanukah!!

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

12/27/05 12:08 AM

LFH-
Yashar koach! Keep up the good work, and thanks for the update!
A Lynn

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

12/28/05 4:49 AM

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

1/4/06 6:11 PM

i keep a journal, it helps.

atara

-------------------------
what the hecka is a signiature?

Bottom

az
Supporter

10/29/06 1:36 AM

I have filled at least 40 notebooks so far, going back 7 years! I don't know what to do with all these journals........ I would like to throw out the old ones, but I am anxiuos about 'losing' a part of myself......
I find it so helpful to write, and I have a very hard time on Shabos and Yom tov.

Bottom

Debbi
Senior Supporter

10/29/06 11:57 AM

When I first began therapy, I could not talk.
I would sit down in my therapists office and literally become paralyzed.
My mind would suddenly become blank, and I was scared to move.
My therapist would say something and I would just sit and stare out of the window.
For some reason I had become entrapped in a frightening saga of the inability to be verbal on the most basic level.

This total freeze not only made me feel uncomfortable and inadequate, but it also made me feel trapped in my own emotions.
I would return home from these sessions, feeling as though my brain was exploding.
It was then that I would sit down at my computer and allow my fingers to say all that was left unsaid during the session.

It was an incredible experience, because often I would have no inkling about what I was writing, and the words would almost seem to "appear" on the screen on their accord.
Sometimes I would write, and then upon reading it the next day, I couldn't believe that these words came from inside my soul.

I did this for about 3 years.
I would go to my session, return home, write frantically, and then hand the paper to my therapist on my way out of the following session.
I couldnt even allow her to read my words in her presence.
My writing slowed down after a few years, and now B"H I am able to verbalize my thoughts and feelings quite clearly.

My ability to write actually saved my life.
And I truly mean that.

I have to say though, that there came a time when my therapist would insist that I try and read my writings together with her in the room.
I was very angry with her, and felt betrayed, but of course she was right, and her courage to enforce this, is what has helped me become my own "true" voice.

debbi

Bottom

SaraSmith
Supporter

10/31/06 2:33 PM

so interesting Debbi. I used to do that too. Hand my therapist things I wrote at the begining of the session and she would talk about them the next session. I also did a lot of freezing (still do, but bH for shorter and less often). I used to panic and freeze in the middle of a session, and that was it for the session, now I do it, ask her to help me get out of it and then continue the session... She too did not like when I would hand her things at the end of the session to read. SHe felt like I was hiding the real me from her. Now when she sees me come in with a paper, she asks me if I wrote s/th that i want to share with her and it ends up being the session. She does know better than to ask me to read it to her though... I really relate to the things you write/say Debbi. Hatzlacha Rabba! I hope you see your yeshua very soon!

Bottom

Debbi
Senior Supporter

10/31/06 7:47 PM

Good to hear from you Sarah,

I'm glad that your therapist offers to read your writings.
Mine would never do that.

Actually today is the first time in many many months (or is it years?) that I have come home from a session with the urge to write.
I feel odd though handing it to my therapist. I have been verbal for so long, I would find it disorienting to "communicate" through words on a paper.
I left my session today, feeling a little angry with her. I wonder if thats the reason I feel like writing. It could be another way of distancing myself from her, rather than be direct in my upset. mmmm something to ponder.

Hi Az,
I know what you mean about wanting to hold onto your writings. I do too, yet sometimes I feel that my documents would cause me to be too exposed should someone ever stumble upon them and read them.

I doubt though, that I could ever really destroy my papers.
Actually as i said earlier, I have always handed my writings to my therapist and as far as I know she has them in my file.
There were many times when I would ask for them back, usually when i was angry with her and felt that I didn't want any of my "self" to be in her posession.
I danced that jig many a time, back and forth with my package of papers, until one day I didnt need to do it any more, and I trusted her to keep my stuff, but more so, I didn't need to put so much importance on the written word, but rather what was inside me, and the part of me I was giving to my therapist in real life.

I could only get to that stage because of my wonderful T. She had (still has) the patience of an angel, she never backed out, never grew impatient with my testing her again and again.

Hopefully when I become a therapist myself, I will have learned from her how necessary it is to own endless patience and caring.

well anyway,
hope to hear from u all soon.

take good care,
Debi

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Panic Disorder < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.