Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Social Anxiety
Created On 11/24/11 11:35 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

S
Junior Supporter

11/24/11 11:35 AM

Does anyone else have Social Anxiety? Any helpfull advice?

I have a hard time with calling people, talking to people and making appointments and stuff. I get all nervous and have all diff thoughts like "she'll be upset if I ask" or "I dont want to bother her", and so on.
When I was in high school it was really bad - to the extent that I used to spend lunch and recess in the libreary or if I was really desparate, even in the bathroom, becasue I felt so self counsiouse sitting alone.
Now B'H I have gotten much better. I'm usally able to talk o.k. with people I'm fimilar with, although somtimes I close up. And although I dont have many friends, I have a few.
But it still effects me a whole lot and I have a long way to go. When it takes me a few days to work up the corage to call/ask/talk to somone, I feel so crazy, since I look around at everyone else and no one else seems to have this probblem.
I know group therpay is good for this, but its not practical for me now bec. I had a really hard time just getting able to go to my regular therpist. At first I had to hide it from my parents most of the time, now they finally accepted it, but I don't think I can get them to agree to this. And hiding it will just take up to much energy- I know bec. I had to do that when I went into therpay.

Anyways is there anyone here with the problem? Although I know I'm probably not alone with this, I feel like I'm alone.

Bottom

wishtobehappy
Senior Supporter

11/24/11 11:47 AM

I also suffered terribly from social anxiety in high school, if a teacher so much as looked in my direction, I'd blush crimson, public speaking was murder but I usually managed to get out of it, and there was one time I needed to deliver a two minute speech in eleventh grade and no amount of pleading could get me out of it, I'll never forget the way I felt, I was so lost and panicky, I literally couldn't eat and sleep the two weeks before.
and you're definitely not alone. from what I've heard and read, sounds like it's pretty common. It tends to get better with age, and the more you put yourself out there, the easier it gets. You're right about group therapy, I think that's one of the best ways to treat it, it's extremely hard and I literally turned colors every time I was forced to share, but it sure gets better. As for your parents, maybe you should just wait it out until you're no longer living with them. g'luck.

Bottom

S
Junior Supporter

11/26/11 7:03 PM

Thanx so much! I can really relate to your high school experience. Anyone else out here have this problem?

Bottom

Messed up
Supporter

1/2/12 7:16 PM

Edited: 2/7/12 at 7:41 PM by Messed up

Bottom

Teachright
Supporter

2/15/12 5:24 PM

i have social anxiety but i didnt tell anyone till today no one knows but u know the only one who suffers is me because im so lonely sometimes i can cry i have absolutly no social life save for one friend without her where will i be who know?!@

Bottom

Messed up
Supporter

2/16/12 10:27 PM

I know how that feels ((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Panic Disorder < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.