Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Panic Attacks w/ agorophobia
Created On 1/15/06 7:00 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

cid39
Junior Supporter

1/15/06 7:00 PM

Anyone have panic attacks develope into agorophobia? I do ok at work. I ride with a friend. Otherwise, I am literally homebound. Dr is no help. He only wants to discuss meds which terrify me. I have unfinished business regarding my Jewish heritage which was unknow to me until recently and it is vital I continue going to shul. I feel my future slipping away. Any suggestions or comments welcome. Thank you.

Bottom

phil
Junior Supporter

1/15/06 8:55 PM

I THINK PART OF THE PROB IS , THAT YOU ARE AFRAID THE DR IS GOING TO HELP YOU. AND THEN WHAT ELSE IS GOING TO TAKE ITS PLACE. I HAVE THIS PROB FOR 20 YEARS. THANK G-D I HAVE MEDS TO KEEP IT IN CHECK. I KNOW I COULD BE ALL BETTER BUT I HAVE THIS 'WHAT IF" ATTITUDE ... ONE DAY I WILL GET MY ACT TOGETHER. I FEEL BAD THAT MY WIFE AND KIDS HAVE TO PUT UP WITH IT WHEN IT GETS OUT OF CONTROL
GO GET HELP, DON'T BE AFRAID OF MEDS
FEEL BETTER

Bottom

frumtherapist
Supporter

1/16/06 7:42 AM

CID-
You should look for a therapist who does cognitive-behavioral work - they can help you within a relatively short period of time - You can call Relief at 718-431-9501, and ask for a therapist who works in this way.
Best of luck.

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

1/17/06 11:32 PM

CID-
Can you elaborate more about what happens to you (ie-syptoms)? And what triggers your panic attacks? Feel free to contact me privately or publically.
A Lynn

Bottom

Chaya Surie
Senior Supporter

2/20/06 9:48 PM
User is offline View users profile

When I used to have panic attacks with agoraphobia, I did not want to take meds b/c I was nursing. The therapist used what I believe is congnitive/behavioral method. I learned to stop my panic attacks by breathing into a paper bag. As long as I had my paper bag with me, (hidden in my pocket book), I was able to go outside. Whenever I started to feel panicky, I thought about my paper bag, and just by knowing it was there, the panic attac disappeared. I know this sounds like a crutch, but eventually my confidence grew and I threw away the paper bag.
There is also a combined medical-cognitive/behavioral method that some psychologists use. It is similar to the paper-bag method. First, a doctor prescribes a fast-acting medicine that can get rid of a panic attack immediateley. After the first few times you try it, you eventually start to feel confident just by having those little pills in your pocket book. You can go outside again, and whenever you start to feel panicky, all you do is think about those pills in your pocket and you start to feel better without taking them. And eventually, you stop needing to take those pills with you at all. Just so you know, taking medicine does not mean it's forever -- it can be used in a temporary way, but I think you need the right type of psychologist/MD team for this.

Bottom

seven wonders
Junior Supporter

2/21/06 12:24 AM

Hi, I suffered for many years from all of this. B''h I am on the road to recovery.
The best advice I can give you is a combination of Behavioral Cognitive Therapy with Medication (Medication that you eventually go off to become med. free). You can do the therapy alone without medication but that's much harder and usually takes longer. Medication alone without therapy is not the answer according to most proffessionals and definitely according to my research and experience. So these 2 together are a fantastic way to help you overcome this disorder and it makes you emerge stronger and more positive than ever before bezras Hashem. It's so exciting to be coming out of there, you'll be there soon too!!!
I would also recommend a program which really opened my eyes. It's an amazing Cognitive Behavorial Modification program called "Attacking Anxiety and Depression" by Lucinda Bassot. I think this program should be part of every school carriculum since the tools they give are so extremely useful for every person towards a more meaningful, positive way of life. It's about $375 but it pays every penny!!!

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Panic Disorder < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.