Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: NEURONTIN FOR CHRONIC PAIN
Created On 5/6/05 11:51 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

ernie55B
Senior Supporter

5/6/05 11:51 AM

To all those suffering with pain,

Please ask about NEURONTIN (GABAPENTIN) which is anti-convulsant that is now used for pain control as well. B'H I have relief from Fibromyalgia and severe headaches. It must be taken every day as a preventive but I have hardly any side effects- some hair loss, but it is worth it.

Ernie

Bottom

looch
Junior Supporter

5/10/06 6:20 PM

Ernie: Glad that you have benefited from and have received relief from using Neurontin. Have to tell you, though, that this is not the whole story. I am guessing that you are an older person? My 16 y.o. DD has chronic pain, RSD, and Neurontin is the first line drug of choice in treating this type of pain, neuropathic pain. Neurontin has LOTS of side effects. She had blinding headaches, blurred vision, dizziness. Didn't do a whole lot for her pain, either. What we found out later, is that Neurontin can also act as a mood DEstabilizer. which explains the hostility, hair trigger temper, and emotional outbursts that she experienced. Have since found out that she should never have been on it, given a family history of bipolar disorder (one of her grandparents). Many parents of children with RSD have told me that they have had similar experiences. Just last week, I was shmoozing with someone, a psychiatrist, whose wife had neuropathic pain, and he told me that he davka did NOT put her on Neurontin because of its potential to destabilize mood. B"H we took DD off Neurontin after 8 weeks, had to wean down slowly because interestingly, it can CAUSE seizures when abruptly withdrawn. Yes, Neurontin has its place as a pain management drug, but please, please, please, be aware that any drug has its potential dark side, and is not for everybody. We certainly are very leery of trying more antiseizure medications for DD, including Lyrica which is supposed to be "Neurontin-lite", newer, better, less side effects, but it is newer, which means less track record.....

Bottom

ernie55B
Senior Supporter

5/13/06 10:42 PM

Hello Looch,

First, how do you define 'an older person'? If that means someone in their forties, then that's me.
I'm sorry to hear about all the problems your daughter is having.
B"H in my experience, Neurontin is a life saver as far as chronic pain is concerned.
I suffer from chronic depression as well (which is closely tied to chronic pain), but I haven't found
the Neurontin to cause any problems other than hair loss, which is well worth the price to pay not to
have pain.
When I wrote about the wonders of Neurontin, I assumed anyone trying it would be getting it from a
competent physician who could advise the person about any potential side effects.
Refuah Shalayma and hatzlacha to you and your daughter.

Ernie

Bottom

justso
Supporter

12/22/09 4:20 AM

wow, it amazes me how a drug can have complete polar (pun intended) opposite results for differant people.
It reminds me of the controversy over Prozac. I have had success with it. I have a friend whose relative became suicidal on it.

Ernie, I am happy it works for you.

I wish there was a reliable tool to determine who should not take it. my husband has chronic pain and already has a bad temper (that existed before a car accident he had) It is so hard to say when a symptom is counter indicative or suggestive of a particular medicine.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Chronic Pain < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.