Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Tube Feeding on Shabbos
Created On 2/21/07 8:25 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

shalomflorida
Junior Supporter

2/21/07 8:25 PM

Hi!
Our two-year old has just had a tube inserted and he is supposed to come home after 8-weeks in the hospital in time for Shabbos.

First of all... do you keep it on a timer for Shabbos, and what other recommendations do you have?

I saw some discussions about different models etc.

Please enlighten

Bottom

su7kids
Senior Supporter

2/21/07 8:30 PM
User is offline View users profile

you should probably ask your Rav, but I remember when my friend's son had a feeding tube, we had to feed him manually every 2 hours around the clock. If yours is electric, you'd probably better ask your Rav.

-------------------------
Proud Mom of 7, MIL to 3, Grandmom of 4!

Bottom

specialmom
Junior Supporter

2/24/07 10:41 PM

It's not a problem, but ask your rav his recommendation how to do it. We were basically told just to use a shinui in pushing buttons. I know others who have been told that specifically they should do it (not the child) and without a shinui to teach the children that they had asked a shailoh and were told that pikuach nefesh they should absolutely just go about the feeding in the regular way.

Our son has a enteralite pump, on which we can set it not to beep when a feeding finishes. Other pumps without this feature you may be told that if it is beeping just to tell you a feeding is done you can't turn it off just to make the annoying noise stop; you should just disconnect the pump and put it somewhere out of the way where the beeping won't keep bothering you until either the next feeding or the end of shabbos. This is because the beeping is just an alert that doesn't signify anything medical. However, if the beeping and flashing would wear down the battery so that the pump wouldn't be ready for the next Shabbos feeding, you could probably turn it off. Ask your LOR.

mom to 5 bli ayin hara, with issues including eos enteropathy, bipolar, ACC/SID, LD, dev delay, gtube, etc

Bottom

Light
Junior Supporter

11/22/07 10:11 PM

does anyone know if there is any kind of formula out that is kosher pareve or kosher cholov yisroes for peadiatric use for a child two years old. (as enteral feeding)? do you know maybe where i can find such a thing? if i can? maybe in israel?

Bottom

su7kids
Senior Supporter

11/22/07 10:20 PM
User is offline View users profile

You may want to ask a Rav about it, for the simple reason that something that is fed but doesn't go in the mouth may have a different status than food consumed by mouth.

Also, if this is something that the child needs for survival, I don't think its a question.

But ask your Rav whether you really have to find such a formula. My friend tube fed her child with a 1000% treif formula, and the only complication was the cleaning of the paraphernalia, which she ended up doing in the laundry room. But it saved her child's life (he's having his bar mitzvah in January this year).

Proud Mom of 7, MIL to 3, Grandmom of 4!

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General (Gastroenterology) < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.