Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Pinworms
Created On 7/6/05 2:10 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

smile
Junior Supporter

7/6/05 2:10 PM

My 3 year old daughter is having pinworms for the 4th time this year. I have always treated it with vermox, but don't know why it keeps coming back. It bothers her immensely, and causes both of us sleepless nights. I would appreciate if anybody can share thier advice. Thanks.

Bottom

smile
Junior Supporter

2/12/06 9:16 PM

Help! My daughter has had pinworms an additional 2 times since my last post. I am treating her with vermox. Any suggestions? My doctor has recommended giving 3 doses of vermox, 3 weeks apart, instead of the usual 2 doses. Any experiences?

Bottom

downsyndrome
Supporter

2/15/06 8:39 PM
User is offline View users profile

I know many mothers in Eretz Yisroel who use cloves of fresh garlic to ward off pinworms. I'm not sure whether they insert it rectally (slightly only - I imagine so) or just put it into the child's underwear. Please inquire.

Bottom

ImaD
Supporter

2/16/06 5:04 PM

In such I case I would suggest several things

consider "cleaning out"other members of the family, since repeated instances may indicate that there are others infected as well

take her off of sugar- the worms seem to thrive on it-I can't tell you the science of it, but many say that it works

make an extra effort to keep her nails trimmed, and wash her hands carefully after she has been playing outside in dirt or sand

b'hatzlacha!!!

Bottom

smile
Junior Supporter

2/20/06 1:54 PM

Downsyndrome, thanks! A clove of garlic in her underwear does relieve her symptons, but it doesn't cure it. But it's sometimes a life saver.

ImaD, thanks for your advice.
Should I clean out the other members of the family even if they don't have any symtoms of pinworms?

Taking her off sugar would be very very difficult. I can reduce her sugar intake. How can a 4 yr old manage otherwise? She gets sugar in school, sweets by Grandma?? Has anyone found that taking off sugar really gets them out of pinworms?

Bottom

eema2four
Junior Supporter

2/27/06 6:03 PM

I was under the impression that most family docs will put the entire family on Vermox.
Also, it was suggested by a pharmacist (please, check with your doctor first) to give 2 doses 10-12 hours apart, and then follow-up with a third dosage on day 10.
It is imperative to keep nails short, discourage thumb/finger-sucking and encourage good hygiene (I know how hard it can be with little ones) be careful when changing the sheets-eggs in the sheets can enter the air, and then be inhaled....also, don't allow the kids to put each others' items in everyone else's mouths....
Regarding garlic--you can coat fresh garlic with vaseline, or ask about using garlic capsules (they may dissolve internally, so I'm not sure how that would work.)
you may want to check out

http://familydoctor.org/139.xml

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/pinworm/factsht_pinworm.htm

good luck!

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General (Gastroenterology) < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.