Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Putting Way too Much Emphasis on *Therapy*
Created On 8/24/07 8:08 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

clarity
Junior Supporter

8/24/07 8:08 AM

There has yet to emerge a psychiatrist or *therapist* who has ever cured anyone from a mental illness. The best any of them can do is write a prescription or lend an ear and some helpful *tips* on how to *overcome* and *get through*, but actual healing is not their forte' as they merely treat symptoms of the soul without the soul, looking to past experiences and cognitive behavior to *correct* *problems* aka *disorders*. In lieu of having a therapeutic Jewish spiritual healer who can see the very roots of the issue, the so-called *therapists* find solutions in pills, restraints, condenscending big brother attitudes which include intimidation and disempowerment, and then the ill wonder what's wrong with them and take the blame for yet another *failure*. And what do I find here on this forum, advocates pushing Jews back into the dysfunctional system of *psychiatry and psychotherapy* calling it *help* and disempowered, helpless ill people continuing to embrace modalities which cannot work but only mask the actual issues of the SOUL at hand.

So what kind of game are we playing here? Is no one able to see through the facade of $100 an hour shrinks who at best offer a script for a pain killer and at worst have specialties in groups, talk therapy, guided imagery, hypnosis, regression and more worthless pastimes that cure no one but the bank account of the therapist. Why are we still brainwashed into believing that a person wearing a white coat knows what is best for us? Why are we not educated in the care of our souls and the remedies when the spiritual illnesses befall us? Why has this eluded us?

And then I read people reaching out for dire help and support getting flip replies to go seek *help*. What kind of *help* exactly do you think is OUT there? Do you actually know how ineffective this *help* is when the neshama is not addressed? Do you?

People are crying out from all over the globe. The people in Israel are suffering so very greatly and the time has truly arrived - but TRULY - to start the healing, not the treating - the REPUI -- the absolute curing of every single illness - body, soul/mind and to begin educating the people in matters of their own neshamas.

Not a moment too soon.-

Bottom

su7kids
Senior Supporter

8/24/07 10:15 AM
User is offline View users profile

Very profound post. How does one go about it?

Getting help doesn't always mean paying $100 an hour. It means also finding someone who can guide you to make better choices, etc. While I do believe that depression and anxiety are physiological, and can be treated medically (medicinally), and in some cases SHOULD be because the sufferer can't SEE beyond the feelings, there definitely are ways of helping one'self by changing one's attitude, and one has to learn how to do that. A GOOD talk-doctor (not a pill prescribing psychiatrist) can guide a person into making good choices.

I believe there ARE many quacks out there who have no clue what they're saying or doing, but there are also many many who can help guide a person in the right direction. One has to do research and find the good ones.

And, a willingness to change also helps!

-------------------------
Proud Mom of 7, MIL to 3, Grandmom of 4!

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

8/25/07 10:50 PM

Therapists and psychiatrists, with Hashem's help, save lives.

The Torah gives permission to a doctor to heal.

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

8/30/07 1:29 AM

Actually, many therapists empower people to take charge of their emotions, their moods, and their lives. But in order to do that, one needs to learn, and learn a lot. We need the therapists to teach us to pay attention to our symptoms and to deal with them in productive ways. Perhaps there people out there who can do it on their own, but most of us can certainly use an objective observer to guide us in taking control.

Bottom

justso
Supporter

12/18/08 11:59 PM

Ultimate healing comes from the Ultimate Healer, but I agree entirely with the other posters. GAD says it succinctly: "Hashem gives doctors permission to heal."

I don't equate a healing from mental illness with the absense of pain or suffering. Suffering is inevitable in his world. Happiness is another subject entirely.

What is mental wellness? Abililty to cope, manage, with one' emotions and thoughts and life's challenges. Sometimes we need medications. Some have a real physiological illness. I have found that talk therapy helps but has its limits and learning skills (which is what I get from the DBT program I'm in) and support groups plus the meds has helped me tremendously, Baruch Hashem.

Nevertheless, common sense must prevail. Therapy does not replace fufilling mitzvot, having a healthy social life and goals in life -- all which make our lives worthwhile and enriching. Therapy helps people remove what's keeping them from fufilling what Hashem wants from them.

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

12/19/08 3:27 AM

So basically we should all quit therapy and enroll in yeshivas/seminaries instead?

Bottom

Debbi
Senior Supporter

12/22/08 9:54 PM

oh my.... might as well dig a mass grave outisde the yeshivas and seminaries.

clarity, what gives u the right to say that mental health professionals are worthless?

Just b/c you havent been helped yourself?
Take a poll on these forums, and ask how many ppl have been saved by either a therapist, psychiatrist,or hospital. i think u should re-evaluate your ideas, and perhaps see things with more clarity...clarity.

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

12/24/08 10:39 PM

Justso,
I like the way you put that. Different modalities for different aspects of the person.
a lynn

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General (Mental Health) < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.