Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: I need Help
Created On 7/17/08 4:48 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

saftaof8
Junior Supporter

7/17/08 4:48 PM

I am very obese I need to loose at least 100 pounds. I have diabetes, I have lost a little bit of weight but I seem to be taking for ever because I am very upset about my life and even if I am not hungary I still want to eat. I am very careful not to eat anything with sugar but I just dont seem to be able to get my life in order. I have grown children and they really dont have much to do with me. One of my children said that I make them very nervous and they try to stay away from me. I have grandchildren and I dont know some of them at all. I am living alone and I work. Can anyone give me advise.

Bottom

su7kids
Senior Supporter

7/17/08 5:38 PM
User is offline View users profile

Have you spoken to your family physician? Are you a candidate for the bariatric surgery?

Maybe also some counseling to get to the bottom of the issues you're dealing with, and maybe find that you're "eating your feelings" and if you get it straightened out, the weight will go, too.

-------------------------
Proud Mom of 7, MIL to 3, Grandmom of 4!

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

7/17/08 5:54 PM
User is offline View users profile

I'm not sure I can help much beyond what has been said before me. All I can say is that I have had gastric bypass surgery. If that is an option for you that is considered safe, you may want to consider it to reduce the weight. HOWEVER, don't think that will solve all your problems. It will solve the weight problem, but only the weight problem. I admit it did change family dynamics for me because my mom is happier with me thinner, but that is her problem or lack thereof, not mine. I guess what I'm trying to get is that sometimes people will relate to you differently once the weight issues are under control and sometimes (my case included) one's personal view of themselves changes the way they relate to others (positively or negatively, depending.) If you have questions related to gastric bypass or banding, I am more than willing to answer. There is a section under Surgery for bariatric surgery; however, there isn't much information there. (At least, not in my opinion.) Oh well, I'll stop rambling now.

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

7/17/08 8:01 PM

It sounds like you need to work on your relationships with your children. It could be that if you resolve the major issues in your life, the eating issue will also get resolved. It seems to be connected to your general unhappiness.

Bottom

saftaof8
Junior Supporter

7/18/08 7:54 AM

Thanks for answering, I am really afraid to have the surgery done. As far as seeing someone I really cant afford to see a therapist my insurance at work does not cover it, do you have any suggestions.

Bottom

saftaof8
Junior Supporter

7/18/08 7:56 AM

Thanks for ansering me i am happy for you that things are working out, but to be honest i am afraid of having the surgery. any other suggestions

Bottom

bubbs96
Supporter

7/18/08 8:15 AM

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say something that might get a lot of negative feedback, but....what you describe, in the little that you do, sounds like compulsive overeating, which is an eating disorder. you could try OA (free) or a therapy or program for eating disorders, which would combine helping you deal with your food issues (using food to numb feelings, teaching you about your nutritional needs, healthy weight loss), AND work on family dynamics (family therapy is part of eating disorder treatment).....i know the stereotype of ED's is anorexia and bulimia and skinny teenage girls, but I've been in treatment with many who are overweight, compulsive overeaters, older women, etc....the symptoms may be different, but the issues are the same.....AND many insurance plans cover ED treatment.....just a thought.....

if that's not something you think applies to you, you should ask your insurance company if they cover a nutritionist for your diabetes--many do. a good nutritionist can be almost like a therapist, and is a good place to start....

good luck!!

"Recovery is a process, not an event."
Even when it doesn't look like it, I am trying, and I'm doing my best in the moment.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General (Mental Health) < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.