Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Munchausen and Munchausen by Proxy
Created On 8/17/08 8:59 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Abba
Junior Supporter

8/17/08 8:59 AM

Is there anyone out there that has a relative with one of these two syndromes?
My wife has it and I have done my best to protect my kids from her, while letting her enjoy all the attention she craves. When my youngest became too old to cooperate, (she refused to sit in a wheelchair, whenever we went out) my wife had back surgery and as result became a "quadriplegic". I would like to communicate with other's who have to deal with this.

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

8/17/08 4:06 PM

On the following thread
http://frumsupport.com/Forums/messageview.cfm?catid=274&threadid=1640
Dr. Price offered to give insights when you start a new thread.

You started one here, but as far as I remember, he only responds on threads under "ask the psychiatrist" which is on the bottom of the menu page.

So you may want to repeat your post under "ask the psychiatrist."

May your wife have a speedy recovery, and may you have much Yiddishe nachas from your whole family.

Bottom

Debbi
Senior Supporter

8/18/08 5:21 AM

I dont know anyone who suffers from this disorder....it sounds frightening at the very least.

i have 2 suggestions.
1) ask administration if it would be possible to add "munchausen" to the list of subjects, so that it is more noticeable to others.

2) I, as i am sure others on this forum, would very much like to support u in any way possible. If u feel comfortable sharing what u go thru on a daily basis, i would be glad to listen and respond. Personally i actually had some contact with an adult whose mother suffered from Munchausen by proxy. THis contact was via another support forum-online. I learned alot from her about this terrible disorder, and how she finally broke away from her mother, and was able to marry and have a family of her own.

hoping to hear from u soon.

debbi

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

8/20/08 12:51 AM

I don't know anything about it, but if you have to protect your children from her, did you consider divorce?

Bottom

Abba
Junior Supporter

8/21/08 7:25 AM

Gad, thanks, for the advice about a separate thread. I requested it and awaiting admin's decision.
Debbi, do you have the name of teh online furom you mentioned? I would like to check it out. HopefulMommy, as far as divorce, at this point, I consider my wife ill and since I can take steps to protect them and can be sure they are not in danger, divorce is not an option. They are very close to and love there mother deeply, I see no reason to fully separate them. Besides, remember, my wife is sick, even if only mentally & not physically.

Bottom

Supporter

9/9/08 7:20 PM

I don't know. There is something very disturbing about this all. "They lover her deeply" but she is abusive towards them. Either she gets help or you and the kids need to be out of there. Is this not a 'shaila' situation that a Rav should address?

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General (Mental Health) < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.