Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Touch Sensitivity=??
Created On 5/21/09 10:59 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

fgg
Junior Supporter

5/21/09 10:59 PM

K. This is hard to write because i don't understand it too well myself, but I'll try:

I have major issues with touch. Im hesitant about calling them "sensory" issues because I dont know if thats exactly it. I'm sensitive to all kinds of touch- taps on shoulders to hugs. I even get extremely uncomfortable when people are too close to me. If anyone walks near me or accidentaly brushes my arm or something, i jerk back- REFLEXIVELY.
All thoughts of touch as well as watching other people touch (regular hugs or one friend giving "chills" to the other) cause me to feel all...tingly...uncomfrtable...like i shrink into myself. Do I make sense?

I have not been s*xually abused, but i do have an Eating Disorder. I'm not married...but would love to be one day, iy''h! Anyone have any idea of what may be the cause of this ultra weird thing? and how to deal with it? Besides the obviouse need to fix it (marriage) I'm percieved as rude and anti-social since i jerk back and refuse to join in on certain activities that would involve physicality...dancing, games...I also get tense and uptight in situations where there are many people in a crowd and I'm in the midst of it...such as leaving a production or something...

Please, suggestions and advice!

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

5/22/09 3:06 AM
User is offline View users profile

I can't diagnose it, but geeeee, you sound like most of my family. One approach to dealing with it is through OT, BUT, I've only heard of that being dealt with in little kids. As an adult ppl. usually just learn to deal with it and adapt. It sucks when parents don't get their kids help for the obvious probs.

-------------------------

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

fgg
Junior Supporter

5/22/09 11:20 AM

Little kids went to oan OT? Under what "diagnosis?"

I'm a bit wary of taking the "learn to deal withit approach" in lieu of the fact that other things that I know others have been hypothesised that they'll learn to deal with-just manifested itself later on in either the same way, or in different forms. I'm determined to deal with it in a manner of actively doing somehing about it.

What is it that your famil members have? Are there succesful marriages with such issues? Thats what frightens me a lot...skip the anti-social behaviors. that i can sorta deal with. But marriage...?

Bottom

Supporter

5/22/09 12:54 PM

Touch is an essential human need. It's a crucial part of marriage--and parenting and is implicated in good mental and emotional health. Please get help--try whatever is available! A good OT is beneficial. Did you read the Out of Sync Child by Carol Kranowitz? It's about sensory disorder. She also has The Out of Sync Child has Fun which has activities that everyone can benefit from.

Massage? Reflexology? Chiroproctic?

You can even have fun with this.

Bottom

downandout
Senior Supporter

5/22/09 12:59 PM

I'm just going to reiterate what 470... said. Touch is an extremely important function in family - both between spouses and between parents and children.
I've always been very sensitive to touch - somewhat like what you've described - and I have to say that my marriage has been extremely difficult from the start. I couldn't handle a lot of things that are integral parts of marriage. It's been tough. Only now am I starting to deal with the issues I have.
Please, please get help. It's really important. I don't want other people to have to go through what I've gone through.

-------------------------
I want to love my life. My desire is what counts.

Bottom

fgg
Junior Supporter

5/22/09 2:14 PM

Thanks for your responses.

I will check out that book. The one thing that keeps me back is that most of what people have mentioned are geared for children- hence my suspicion that my issues are not under the diagnostic "sensory disorder". Nevertheless, it can't hurt to try.

I guess that the best way about it would be through desensitizing therapy- as 470... mentioned, massage, chiro, etc.

I really do hope to resolve this- its a major hindrence to a functioning and stable life!
Thanks again and Good Shabbos

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General (Mental Health) < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.