Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Trauma
Created On 3/15/05 3:09 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

3/15/05 3:09 PM

Is anyone around here depressed because of something or someone that traumatized them?

Bottom

Vicki
Junior Supporter

3/15/05 6:48 PM

I have panick attacks b/c of trauma. & that's usually the case.

I almost drowned once. I said shma already.....when my therpaist asked me to tell him the stroy I started & said noo! I can't think about it. He smiled & said "I got you" this is the sign that you never got over it.

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

3/15/05 11:19 PM

Vicki and others,
There are some very effective techniques for combatting trauma. One of the treatments I use is EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing), and you can look at EMDR.com. On the EMDR website, there is a link to find a certified clinician near your zip code. Best wishes,
Adam Lynn

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

3/16/05 7:45 PM

Poor Vicki!
That is terrifying! I'm too embarrassed to talk about my "trauma" but I guess since I can talk about it to my friends it's a good sign, rite?

Dr. Lynn, I thought you were a girl!!

Bottom

StrongerEveryDay
Junior Supporter

4/18/05 1:55 AM

yea, i struggle with depression and an eating disorder probably a lot of it as a result of past trauma.

one thing that's very important is that you must deal with it and somehow get past it. i'm in intensive therapy now for having been s abused for 5 yrs. it's sooo tough to relive everything when i really want to just forget it and pretend like it never happened but it's the only way i'll ever be able to move on.

good luck to everyone.

-------------------------
Everything that happens is for the best, even if it may never seem that way.

StrongerEveryDay

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

4/28/05 1:46 AM

Stronger,
In my experience, adjunctive group therapy and EMDR are more efficacious in treating trauma that individual talk therapy alone. Perhaps you could ask about the appropriateness of these forms of therapy for you with your therapist?
A Lynn

Bottom

bubbles
Supporter

6/7/05 1:11 PM

was surfing around and came across the trauma forum.
I have done emdr. It is very powerful and must be done with an experienced therapist.
It has helped me enormously in the painful and lengthy journey of healing from child S abuse.

Every person reacts differently, so be cautious if you do choose emdr.
I found it very valuable in that it gave me a push and allowed access to painful memories that I was trying to avoid.

Stronger, it sounds as though you are really working hard on healing from the horrible trauma you experienced, and yes I heartily agree, the only way beyond the pain is to go through it. (as though we haven't already done that!)

Vicki, I too almost drowned once and now I am an excellent swimmer.
I swim all year long, I enjoy it and its great excersise too. (I think I am almost through with my poolside panick attacks....ugh!! scary too!)

Dr. Lynn could I ask some questions about emdr?
let me know.
thanks.
tc all.
bubbles.

Bottom

bubbles
Supporter

6/9/05 12:55 AM

is anyone there?

oh dear...... can u hear the echos????

hallooooooo....ooooo
doesn't anyone come to the trauma section????
am i the only frum traumatized person???

please answer someone.

Bubbles.

Bottom

Stars N Sky
Supporter

6/9/05 10:09 AM

What exactly is EMDR?

Bottom

bubbles
Supporter

6/9/05 11:26 PM

http://www.emdr.com/briefdes.htm

this website is very helpful, and seems to be written in a simplified and easy manner.

hope it helps. you can just copy and paste it onto your browser.

good luck!

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

6/10/05 12:13 AM

If anyone has a specific question for me, it is best to post it on the board (for others) as well as sending me a private message. This is because I do not check every board everyday, but I do check my private messages almost everyday. Sorry about the delay here. EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) is an excellent technique for overcoming trauma, as well as other problems. When it works, it is like magic- very rapid, sustained results. I agree with Bubbles that going to an experienced and qualified practitioner is important.
a lynn

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

6/12/05 10:51 AM

Sorry Bubbles, I've been away! So happy to hear that EMDR worked for you!!

How are you dealing now?

Have a wonderful Yom Tov!!

Sincerely, LFH

Bottom

bubbles
Supporter

6/15/05 1:04 AM

hi LFH,

well, glad that theres actually someone walking these halls

Yes emdr has worked, although as i was telling Dr L, it is extremely powerful, and tends to "tear" things out of me, in a not so gentle manner.

It does give me a push though, which is what I need. Therapy is taking too long, and I'm getting mighty impatient.

Have u ever tried it LFH?
Have u been a member on this site for a long time?
jst curious if people stay around here much. I have been going to another site which has support for my specific issues (S. abuse) and it has been amazingly helpful.
However I stumbled upon this frum site, and I sincerely hope it will build up.
I am becoming aware that the support I can offer, as well as the support I need, is more helpful if I can relate to others on a spiritual level as well as comprehending others backgrounds.
What I mean is, if I would tell someone here that I have 10 kids, (not that I have) they would understand where I was coming from, and not think I was this "crazy" religious women who has a million children.

anyway Its 1:00am here, and as I write I feel fatigue closing in on me, and i hope i have been making some sense, b/c my eyes are closing.

well if u have read this far, Thanx!
Have a wonderful Wednesday!
B.

Bottom

bubbles
Supporter

6/15/05 11:49 PM

Ernie,

thankx for your good wishes.
Sorry that things are difficult for u.
I have worked extremely hard in therapy. Five years in fact. I have struggled, and fought and struggled some more.
It is a long and difficult process, and I would not wish upon anyone the long and drawn out suffering one enduress while working in therapy on child abuse issues.

At the same time I must clarify that if one works hard, and is motivated and determined to embrace change, (this is where my stubbon streak comes in handy!) the results can be outstanding.
If u are with the right therapist, as a team effort, much can be achieved.

I have come a long way since I first walked into my T's office.
Five long years of tremendous emotional suffering on my husbands and childrens part, as well as my own five years of feeling that there could be no end to my end to my suffreing

and then Lo and Behold! Things suddenly became clear to me,, and I can begin to live the life of hashem.

sorry eyes r closing....zzzzzzzzzzz
oops.......is snoring permitted??
will say more tommorow.

Gnite.

Bottom

bubbles
Supporter

9/18/05 11:55 PM

I'm back after a long and difficult summer.

i am surprised that this "trauma" forum has stayed so empty.

Am I really the only survivor of child abuse?????

I tend to think not.

I wish someone else would have the courage to post, so that we can strengthen each other.

Edited: 9/18/05 at 11:56 PM by bubbles

Bottom

rocky
Junior Supporter

9/19/05 7:32 AM

Edited: 3/18/06 at 8:42 PM by rocky

Bottom

bubbles
Supporter

9/19/05 9:19 AM

? what happened?

Bottom

goforit
Junior Supporter

10/7/05 2:43 PM

care to elaborate so we can help???

Bottom

bubbles
Supporter

10/7/05 3:36 PM

ummm...
what kind of elaboration?
I would like to support others who are suffering from PTSD symptoms, and who understand the consequences of being abused.
The parts which impact one on a daily basis, and the fact that the trauma of S. abuse is so much larger than the general population may understand.

For example:
nightmares
flashbacks
difficulty in trusting
self esteem
suicidal thoughts
depression.......
........just to name a few.

so... can you help?

bubbles

Bottom

goforit
Junior Supporter

10/10/05 11:20 AM

i meant help as in feeling your pain and boy do i feel it its a long process but youll get there trust me i would like to start a support group with you were do you live?

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

12/25/05 6:52 AM

Anyone ever hear of something called FIS or something like that??

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

12/27/05 12:06 AM

Nope.
A Lynn

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General (Mental Health) < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.