Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: "OVERWEIGHT" AND MISERABLE
Created On 12/26/04 4:05 PM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

LOOKINGFORAFRIEND
Junior Supporter

12/26/04 4:05 PM
User is offline View users profile

How many of you have tried every single diet and have absolutely no sucess, so you just keep on eating even though you are not hungrry...just fat and fed up like me?

Edited: 12/26/04 at 4:11 PM by FrumSupport Moderator

Bottom

stayhomemommy
Junior Supporter

12/26/04 8:15 PM

I am so there with you. I find this a terrible circle. I'm tired and bored so I eat and then I have ne energy to get up and move. I am also at a loss over what to do to shed these pounds. Maybe we can start a support system for each other.

Bottom

downsyndrome
Supporter

12/26/04 9:44 PM

Many women (and men too!) are opting for the lap-band (did I spell it correctly?), which is a surgical procedure where a 'rubber band' is laprascopically tied around a part of your stomach, thus not enabling you to fill up your tummy with large amounts of food. People are really happy and very successful at losing substantial amounts of weight. Along with the surgery comes behavior modification. What you have both described above will have to stop, and it will, cuz' your new stomach sizes will not be able to handle the abuse. I know how difficult weight losss is: I am always struggling too, but with smaller amounts of weight, therefore I am not a candidate for this procedure. People who are considered obese and don't have the motivation and personal strength and perseverence that it takes to lose large amounts of weight, do well with the 'lap band' procedure. Look into it! Good luck to both of you! Sarah S.

Bottom

LOOKINGFORAFRIEND
Junior Supporter

12/27/04 1:26 PM

I think that would be a great idea!! Maybe we can motivate each other........I am really down in the dumps dealing with so many issues at this time I could really use a buddy

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

12/28/04 10:11 AM

The only problem is, because the lap-band is relatively new, the long-term consequences are still unknown. I work in a hospital and have researched this method myself (as I have a good 50 pounds to lose), and the doctors I spoke to said not to do it, for safety/health reasons. As hard as dieting and excerising may be, it is the only way to get rid of those excess pounds. Trust me, I know.

Bottom

helpless mom
Junior Supporter

12/28/04 4:06 PM

Join the club! I am heavier now than I was in my ninth month of any pregnancy. I have tried many diets over the past few years and tend to give up if I don't see results fast enough. The moment I am under any stress (and when am I not) I start to eat again. I would be too afraid to attempt gastric banding, so I am open to any other suggestions

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

12/28/04 4:41 PM

As hard as it is to get moving, I highly recommend walking. Even just 3 or 4 times a week for 45 minutes is enough to get your metabolism running. This way, in the begining you will be burning the extra calories you eat when you're nervous... and then after a few weeks you'll understand how hard you have to work to burn the calories and maybe, just maybe, you'll want to watch what you eat. I find that when I walk consistently I can eat "normal" and not gain weight. But you need to find a walking partner to motivate you!

Bottom

Booster
Junior Supporter

12/30/04 3:37 PM

I found "Curves" 30 minute fitness program to be the solution. It is hard at first, but is so rewarding afterwards; it gives you so much energy and boosts up not only your metabolism but your spirits! It is worth all the money and efforts. Keep going, Good Luck!

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

12/30/04 4:35 PM

Yeah, I agree! Curves is a great place. Only, it's a kinda expensive...

Bottom

Booster
Junior Supporter

12/30/04 4:42 PM

What wouldn't you do for your health? Money shouldn't be a question! It's surely worth it! Guaranteed.

Bottom

TopStar
Junior Supporter

1/10/05 10:06 PM

Hello! I've been on this problem since i know myself...how's your weight loss going? how about we do a race? i have a 40 pounds to lose... it's a good thing to share and compare... i do exercise almost every day for at least 45 minutes, and it really makes a difference. let's see who can lose more in less time! but don't get me wrong... we need to do it only not to gain it back too soon... keep on posting here! Good Luck!

Bottom

Rachel
Junior Supporter

1/11/05 11:05 PM

Over six months ago I have figured out the answer. STOP DIETING! It is really bad for your self esteem and doesn't work. We need to look at the reasons why we are fat instead of just focusing on the externals. If anyone would like to talk to me about this I would be more than happy to.

Bottom

stayhomemommy
Junior Supporter

1/11/05 11:22 PM

what do yo mean? How else do you expect to drop those unwanted pounds?

Bottom

Rachel
Junior Supporter

1/11/05 11:54 PM

When you learn how to eat only in response to your body's needs and your true hunger you will not overeat and and you will eat mostly healthy foods.

Bottom

rainbow
Supporter

1/12/05 5:37 AM

Eating slowly can sometimes help, 'cause it gives time for the message that you're full-- to reach the brain. Also in the news this week
researchers say people who don't sleep enough gain weight.

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

1/12/05 7:45 AM

"Also in the news this week researchers say people who don't sleep enough gain weight"
I would watch what you believe... they'll be negating this by next week... it's always something else...

Bottom

Mevakeish
Junior Supporter

1/23/05 3:25 PM

How do you overcome the urge to overeat? I am not really overweight, but I'm afraid it's like I'm addicted to pizza, chips, chocolate and I eat even if I'm full.

Bottom

shosh860
Junior Supporter

1/25/05 10:54 PM

I've been overweight and miserable most of my life. Stress causes me to binge like crazy!! I finally went on Prozac to curb my anxiety, and boy did it ever help curb my appetite as well!! I also joined a 30 min. exercise program. I'm now on a roll...down 25 pounds with another 40 to go. I also have type 2 Diabetes which I'm controlling with meds and diet. I used to also go back to sleep once the kids left for school. I now put on my walking shoes and walk around the local mall (without my wallet!!) I used to live to eat...I now eat to live!!

Bottom

Draalynn
Junior Supporter

2/24/05 12:17 AM

One of the things I do professionally is gastric bypass surgery evaluations. For some people, the surgery is extremely helpful, and it gives people a new lease on life. Most of the people I see are 200-400 lbs, and their obesity is coupled with multiple chronic medical problems including diabetes, sleep apnea, hypertension, cardiac problems, pulminary problems, digestive problems, and the like. I have personally seen people go from 364 lbs to 190 lbs, and get off about 8 medications in less than 2 years. However, even though the surgery can be a good aid to losing weight, one pitfall that I see people fall into is the idea that the surgery is like a "magic wand". What I mean is that many people think a) since they are having the surgery, they will not have to put much effort into it post-op, and/or b) once they lose the weight, all their problems will evaporate. As many people on the post previously stated, a healthy mental and physical lifestyle are critical. Positive attitude, diet, etc.. As for eating habits, I find that many people who overeat generally fit into two categories; anxious eaters and depressed eaters. I think it is important to try to identify which category best fits, so that you can manage the problem most effectively. For example, for anxious eaters, I focus on issues like portion control, slowing down, relaxation exercises, while for depressive eaters I encourage people to keep feeling journals. These are just a few examples. I also agree that having a buddy system can be very helpful. I think what makes tackling food issues so difficult is that as opposed to alcohol or narcotics, a person HAS to eat everyday just to survive. Best wishes and success to everyone!

Bottom

BH613
Supporter

2/24/05 6:05 PM

I would love to form a support group as there are issues that just affect us frum like shabbos and yom tov. I have been working on weight since the age of 11 and am on weight watchers. I would love to have your support. We can create a group right here and report daily or it can be looser. WHat would you like?

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

2/25/05 6:20 AM

This message board is a kind of support group. Did you have something else in mind?

Bottom

BH613
Supporter

3/1/05 12:13 PM

Perhaps if we discuss our situaton and the things that we find to be difficult and trade not only our ideas, but recipes etc. I know that for women, we do better with support. I would love to be able to post a few times a week with what I have been successful in and areas that I did things that I am proud of i.e. exercise, and a place to ask questions, i.e. I am going to visit my parents and will go out to eat (in Milwaukee we have no kosher restaurants so it is not an issue) and what are some good menu items to order, etc.
Is that what this is for?
Miriam

Bottom

UCY
Junior Supporter

3/1/05 5:32 PM

I did gastric bypass which is not gastric banding you are all misinformed you must be a 100 pounds overweight to do either you all just are overweight not morbidly obese meaning havIng a body mass index that is very high I think 35 for men and 30 for women. I strongly advocate for the surgery even though i almost died from complications from a genetic disease i had. im proud to say to my personal knowldge because of me three people have done it and they all thank me. If yOUR intrested on info about he surgery you can email me and i can point you in the right direction there are many web sites and support groups my email is
HAJUSEF1@AOL.COM FELL FREE TO CONTACT ME PUT FRUM SUPPORT IN SUBJECT IF NOT ILL PROBALLY DELETE IT

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

3/6/05 12:10 AM

Miriam,
All of your suggestions sound great to me!

Bottom

StrongerEveryDay
Junior Supporter

3/6/05 11:31 AM

i think Rachel is right when it comes to eating in response to your body. I really believe that's the way to do it. if you eat according to the triangle, 3 balanced meals a day, and maybe a little snack before bed to take you through the night, your body will naturally find it's set-point weight. it may not be as quickly as you might like but it will instill in you a healthy way of eating that will stick with you because you've made it part of you, you've done it for so long. i'm copying an essay i had to write for school about how the non-diet paradigm is much more effective in the long run:

Crash and fad diets can be extremely harmful to the body, metabolism, and overall health, and therefore shouldn’t be encouraged. Instead, people should be taught to rely on the natural cues from their body which tells them when they’re hungry and when they are full. Statistically, 98% of all diets do not work. As soon as the person goes off of the diet, he gains back all the weight and sometimes more, because the metabolism is slowed down from being deprived. This causes him to begin a new diet in hopes that a different one will work. This becomes a cycle commonly referred to as “yo-yo dieting.” This way of eating can permanently mess with the metabolism and cause someone’s natural set-point weight to be higher than it originally is.
Some people then want to know, “what is healthy eating?” Jaime Levy, a registered dietician, explains that healthy eating means choosing a variety of foods from among and within the five food groups: grain, vegetable, fruit, dairy, and meat; with additional foods from the “others” category. Jaime goes on to explain that it is important to eat from within each food group since different foods sometimes provide different vitamins and minerals, but more often supply very different levels of the same nutrient. The Food Guide Pyramid recommends a range of servings from each food group. In order to determine how much one should eat, one needs to be able to cue into his physical body signals and learn to recognize hunger and satiety. Some people have difficulty recognizing these feelings because they have been either dieting or eating in response to other feelings such as sadness or anger or both. However, when you are able to recognize hunger and satiety and eat accordingly most of the time, you will be eating the amount of food your body needs. When a person eats a healthful diet, according to his physical appetite, his weight stabilizes within a small range. This is called natural or set-point weight. Set-point weight is mostly determined by genetic factors such as bone structure, musculature and number of fat cells a person is born with. Set-point weight for any given height can vary so greatly that none of the current height-weight charts are valid.
When a person has a healthy relationship with food, he should view all food in a neutralized way; all food is acceptable. Quantity, quality, and frequency are determined by individual exploring and responding to physical cues, sense of well-being, taste and medical values i.e., blood glucose levels. Food should be self-regulated, internally cued, and non-restrained. Following the non-diet paradigm will lead to an increase in self-esteem/personal power from self-determined eating style and movement. Bodies come in all sizes and are naturally beautiful. Cultural standards are hazardous; pursuit of these standards can interfere with the quality of life. Trust develops in self and body by discerning physical cues and freely responding to them without judgment or criticism.

-------------------------
Everything that happens is for the best, even if it may never seem that way.

StrongerEveryDay

Bottom

YennerEckVelt
Junior Supporter

3/6/05 8:10 PM

Another important part of weight loss is psychological therapy. Quite often instead of dealing with a painful emotion we drown it out with food. I have been told this and I think that there is some merit to it. Of course, a bad metabolism can affect it too. I tried the atkins diet which can be expensive and impractical and I tried herbalife which is expensive but more practical. After leaving those diets I gained back the weight with another 10 or 15 pounds added.

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

3/7/05 5:47 AM

Not just "some merit" to it, it is sooooo true!! Just a few days ago I was very down and just wanted some comfort food to cheer me up... So I finished a whol tub of ice cream!! It just helps you forget everything else going on around you ...

Bottom

BH613
Supporter

3/7/05 7:23 PM

I have been working with weight watchers and feel proud of the fact that I have viewed it as life changes not a diet. I eat healthy, and allow myself little snacks mostly on shabbos. I know that I am setting good habits for myself, but also for my husband and children. I find that the thought of Purim coming is a little scary as I will have a busy week with food. I am going to a dinner where my parents are being honored, and staying with them for 2 days. I live in a community with no place to eat out, but they have restaurants and I will probably eat 3 meals out. This is the Sunday before Purim. Of course, Purimg is followed by Shabbos. I will try to plan as much as possible and make good decisions for my body. ANy suggestions?

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

1/1/06 10:09 PM

i'm overweight too. food. yum.

atara

what the hecka is a signiature?

Bottom

Packeteers
Junior Supporter

2/27/06 5:19 PM

About 5 years ago, I got scared when my unfit 40 year old friend had a heart attach, so I read the first 100 pages of the South Beach Diet Book which inspired me to lose from 210 to 180 in one year (as a 6' male). Since then I keep myself between 175-180. The basic premise of the book was to completely cut out ALL sugars and starches for 3 weeks in order for your blood sugar and Metabolism to "reset" itself out of the cycle you may currently be in that makes you eat more than you need, and crave the carbs.

After that, you may slowly and in very low measure have some sugars and starches, but as you wean yourself away from them, and change your subconscious habits of buying all that junk to begin with, you slowly don't need all those carbs anymore, and lower the volume of food you consume. You educate yourself about all the foods you can eat that are higher in fiber, protein, and nutrients, and lowest in carbs from sugars and starches, then adjust your eating habits accordingly. If you fall off the wagon, South Beach "punishes" you by demanding you start all over again with another 3 weeks of carb abstinence, which helps motivate you not to ever fall off the wagon again...

I also found that Hoodia makes a great appetite suppressant, and Xenical helps reduce fat ingested during those times when it's hard not to cheat, such as attending a wedding. The most important thing is to not feel defeated and condemned to a life of obesity. You CAN change your fatal eating habits, but you have to REALLY want to; then just get out there and DO IT ! The very best line I ever heard - to help one stick to their diet was;

Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!

After having to buy a whole new wardrobe 4 years ago, I can certainly testify to that statements truth.

Edited: 2/27/06 at 6:29 PM by Packeteers

Bottom

Debbi
Senior Supporter

2/27/06 9:54 PM

Is there anyone who has a problem with "forgetting" to eat?
I often don't recognise my body's signals that I need food. Sometimes my blood sugar goes so low, that I almost pass out.

Sometimes I forget to eat and I only remember that I need food, when I hear an advertisement on the radio about food, or I see an appetising picture of food in a magazine. Its wierd.

Was wondering if anyone else has this problem?

debbi

Bottom

ernie55B
Senior Supporter

2/27/06 10:46 PM

Hello??? Debbi??? It's me, Ernie the Anorexic. Of course I forget to eat. I have totally forgotten how to eat. And just like you, I will be close to passing out at times, when my body tells me to get something into it quick.

Very,very, hard thing to cure in adults, but I am working on it. My T feels that with this change in my 'situation', I will begin to improve with time, as I should not need to use food as a control issue.

How are you doing?
E

Bottom

ernie55B
Senior Supporter

2/27/06 10:50 PM

To Packateers,

Being thin doesn't ALWAYS feel that great, especially when your MD is threatening to hospitalize you, but I know what you are trying to convey.

Ernie

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

2/28/06 1:44 PM

k people just eat to feel good. works for me! i actually have to go get something to eat. i'm at school and it's lnchtime! yess....

atara

what the hecka is a signiature?

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

3/21/06 10:03 AM

Packeteers,

Just yesterday I picked up the South Beach Diet book. It looks interesting, but I didn't know if it was actually do-able and if a person could keep it off. It sounds though like you highly recommend it.

Any eitza for someone looking to start it?

Thanks, LFH

Bottom

Packeteers
Junior Supporter

3/21/06 10:05 PM

forgive my frankness LFH, but if you didn't already find many "eitza"s
from my original post, then reading any book is not going to help get
you started on a diet of any lasting benefit as your attitude is all wrong.

Any diet is simply a prelude to a complete lifestyle change
with regard to food, drink, physical activity and your
attitude toward maintaining your own good health.

If after reading South Beach Diet you have any questions, or interest
in additional information beyond what is touched on in that book,
then I will be all too happy to point you further in the right direction.

Good Luck.

Bottom

Packeteers
Junior Supporter

3/21/06 10:20 PM

to ernie55B and debbi,

I have no knowledge of Anorexia {BH}; perhaps the habits of a non-anorexic may be of use to you both;

Since losing my weight and managing to keep it off all these year, I do find myself forgetting to eat simply because I require a much lower volume of food then I once consumed on a regular basis. There are two things I make sure to do that keep me from literally fainting before I realize I forgot to have a meal that day.

Hydration: I drink a lot, 1% milk or sugar free ice teas from Arizona beverage. I prefer their powder version that I can mix myself because it's cheaper and has much less citric acid than the bottle/canned version.

Snacking: I keep a variety of healthy, tasty and often expensive snacks laying around my home and office which I lightly consume throughout the day more from my taste buds getting bored, then actual hunger.

Edited: 3/21/06 at 11:19 PM by Packeteers

Bottom

molly P.
Supporter

7/11/06 10:08 PM

To the people who were talking about the South Beach Diet. I can say it really helped me lose weight, when i stuck to it. Let me tell you the gist of it. For two weeks you can only eat vegetables and proteins. I'll give you ideas-chicken, chicken cutlets, salmon, tuna, lima beans, chic peas, nuts, red pepper and cottage cheese, veg. cheese omelletes, yogurts, salads. (It's advisable to read the book for exact details) It sounds murder-but it's doable and the plus side is that after two weeks, fruits will be such a treat that you will not even want to go near junk sugar and you wont feel like you're depriving yourself when you start eating whole wheat. After two weeks you can add on 1 serving of starch a day-you can choose to have it at breakfat or supper-and you can add on fruits. The starches is limited to whole wheat only and no potatoes, sweet potatoes might be o.k. but that is counted as your starch.

Bottom

molly P.
Supporter

7/11/06 10:13 PM

Another thing, I forgot to say SPLENDA is allowed as a subtitute for sugar. I welcome any questions. I have a good way to make chicken cutlets, the South Beach way if anyone is int. just ask

Bottom

molly P.
Supporter

7/17/07 10:40 PM

It's a year later now and I see this forum never continued, well I have what to add now, meds can cause weight gain so if any of you who complained about

being overweight and are on anti-depressants or any other medicine, it may (doesn't have to) be causing the weight gain. Well I have a good doctor (if you

didnt realize by now that I'm on meds) who was monitoring my weight. I was about 200 lbs and I was on South beach and xenical, maybe I lost but nothing

compares to what I lost recently. Since the xenical wasn't working well we tried Diethylpropiane and its working wonders. It curbs your appetite (since

meds can increase appetite) and I am much less hungry and I eat much less. I do excercise 3-4 times a week and I lost approx 30 lbs, I feel great! I hope I

can keep off the weight gain and I hope this was beneficial.

Bottom

su7kids
Senior Supporter

7/17/07 10:50 PM

Great going! I wish I could lose, and I'm NOT on any meds. I am craving chocolates and sweets all the time, and of course, I tend to give in to my cravings, which is major then I look in the mirror and I can't stand it.

Proud Mom of 7, MIL to 3, Grandmom of 4!

Bottom

avious101
Senior Supporter

7/18/07 8:29 PM

Su7kids - i never thought the day would come when id be giving u advice about dieting and food- but ha ha its here
ok so i read in a magazine once that if u try to stop eating sweets completley then itl never work ul stop eating them for a week or so but thing ull splurge
its kinda like when every day your haging in their but when friday night comes ur just so tired u pass out kinda like a slingshot
ok so i dont no if this will work for u but if you let urself have like one ice cream cone a day or a like five choclates ur probably not gonna binge that much also i dont no if u have snacks during the day but it helps to have filling snacks like granola bars or crackers for snacks so that ur not hungry so u dont just nosh on junk food also if ur craving s/t sweet u can have straberrys or some sweet fruit or vegi or lo cal food
also when u got to a 7 eleven or quickcheck and crave a smothie or a slurpie u can use ur blender blend ice and put in a diet soda or for a smothie milk fruit and splenda
also get active w/ s/t u injoy- join a dance class at your shull ,and if ur in school join a team even playing a game with ur kids can work it will make u heltheir and make ur kids happier
and Molly im glad thats working for u

Bottom

yaldatova613
Supporter

7/19/07 6:07 PM

molly -
are the meds you are talking about steroids?
i've gained 40 pounds on it, and i hate that! I'm told it's a combo of making you really hungry and making you retain water, or something like that.
any other steroid users out there? any tips?

Bottom

frumsw
Senior Supporter

7/21/07 11:47 PM

I know people who have success with Overeaters Anonymous.

frumsw

Bottom

Belly
Supporter

8/3/07 12:52 AM

HI Su
I feel that I'm in the same boat as you. I believe that we are missing something like Minerals, Vitamins... in our body and that's why we have these cravings.
My PDr. said that my cravings for sugar can be due to a lack of seretonin.
So maybe taking food supplements can help. I was doing much better when I was taking food supplements.
For me it's also a struggle....
Good luck and let me know how you are doing.
Belly

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

10/19/07 7:48 AM

Depending how overweight you are and your insurance coverage gastric bypass may be an option. I did it and am so so glad. It saved my life both mentally and physically.

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

10/21/07 5:59 PM

Btw, there is a bariatric surgery section somewhere in the frum support site....i forgot which section it's in but look around if you are interested

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

seb613
Supporter

10/25/07 6:14 PM

I attend OA meetings, but a lot of people at the meetings said their weight yo-yo'd.

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

1/14/08 9:37 PM

what are OA meetings like? i tried one of the online ones but it was just so boring. i never realized that you can't ask questions and stuff. all you're allowed to do is like congratulate the person when they're finished talking or we. is that how the actual meetings are too? i want something where you can ask questions and learn stuff.

Bottom

rivk24
Junior Supporter

11/25/08 2:13 PM

I'm in the oa program- it is great . besides having a food plan that works for me . i have a great sponsor who i call every day and she guides me along- oa teaches us why we overeat and it helps me greatly their website is www.oa.org before doing any surgery i suggest to try oa. its free and it really works. if you have any questions you can call me at 845-362-2255

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General (Mental Health) < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.