Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: dealing with anxiety
Created On 3/7/10 2:20 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

toy123
Senior Supporter

3/7/10 2:20 PM

How do people deal with their anxiety other than by taking meds? Lately I've been going through a very stressful time and my anxiety is really acting up. I don't seem to have any peace since the anxiety is there most of the time. Anyone have any ideas of how to help my anxiety without just taking medication. I need whatever ideas I can get cuz I'm going crazy!!!!!!!

-------------------------
Sometimes you need to run away just to see who will follow you.

Sometimes when I say "I'm okay", I want someone to look me in the eyes, hug me tight and say "I know you are not".

Just because I'm smiling doesn't mean I'm happy.

Bottom

Achdus
Supporter

3/7/10 11:23 PM

If you have a therapist, try to be as honest as you can about what you are anxious about. If it is a good therapist, they will help you work this out.
Also talking it out with a friend can be really good. D'agah b'lev ish y'sichena.
If you can, try to figure out what you are anxious about. Writing in a journal, usually helps clarify your feelings. Getting it out of your system,makes your load much lighter and you will feel better.

I have tried all of these, since i also suffer from anxiety, and found all of them to be helpful especially trying to pinpoint what you are anxious about. Then it is easier to overcome if not on your own than with the help of a good friend or a trusted therapist.

Bottom

littleengine
Supporter

3/9/10 11:17 PM

I'm sorry that you are having such a hard time. My anxiety also acts up when I go through stressful times (though there is always stress in my life, there are times that it becomes even more stressful).

Braining has some good ideas, including talking to a therapist or friend. And writing in a journal can also be helpful. I do alot of freestyle journal writing and it almost always brings my anxiety level down.

You can also try one (or more) of the following:

guided imagery

meditation

mindfulness

yoga, dance or any other exercise that you find enjoyable.

progressive muscle relaxation

massage

any kind of creative expression including art, drawing, scrapbooking, playing an instrument, acting etc...

If you do decide to try any of these methods, keep in mind that sometimes trying too hard to made your anxiety go away has the opposite effect. Accepting it instead of fighting it is usually more productive than trying to figure out why a certain method is not helping you relax. If one thing doesnt work, try something else.

Also, relaxation is a skill that anyone can learn, but it takes time.

Let me know if you have questions about any of these ideas (I know I didn't explain some of them, but I can when I have more time) .

Bottom

toy123
Senior Supporter

3/10/10 6:18 AM

Thanx littleengine your list is really helpful. I'm gonna try them the next opportunity I have. I have a couple of questions though, 1.what is guided imagery? 2.what is progressive muscle relaxation? Thanks

-------------------------
Sometimes you need to run away just to see who will follow you.

Sometimes when I say "I'm okay", I want someone to look me in the eyes, hug me tight and say "I know you are not".

Just because I'm smiling doesn't mean I'm happy.

Bottom

littleengine
Supporter

3/16/10 11:17 PM

Hi toy,
Sorry it took me a while to respond.
Guided imagery is a little hard to explain but I will try my best. Guided imagery is when words including alot of multisensory descriptions are used to produce images in your mind of a fantasy and you use the fantasy to bring on feelings of peace, safety, comfort etc... If you practice using it , then when you are feeling depressed, anxious or another difficult emotion or are in a difficult situation, you can pull up a desired image and retreat into the safety of a fantasy, regardless of what is going on in your environment.
Some people know how to create their own images and fantasies. But there are also CD's that you can listen to, CD's for many different challenges that a person might have including everything from physical ailments to emotional issues and everything in between. They usually have relaxing music playing in the background. You can order them online.

Progressive Muscle Relaxation is a technique in which you tense each one of the muscles in your body, one at a time, and then slowly release the tension. I think the idea is that you are controlling, sort of forcing the tension and then just letting it go. It helps people who carry alot of tension in their muscles for ex back, neck and shoulders who often arent even aware of which specific muscle is tight.

I hope this was helpful.

How are you feeling?

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General (Mental Health) < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.