Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: reassurance
Created On 6/12/11 4:55 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

bugabuga
Junior Supporter

6/12/11 4:55 PM

i need some advice please.
my previously healthy older brother, late twenties, started acting weird last week.. being paranoid, thinking he was influenced by others, eyes bugging out, constant pacing, etc..
after around a week of on and off out of character behavior, he lost it and hit me once. for no valid reason. he was a quiet, extremely gentle, timid person. i, with hatzalah, convinced him to go to hospital.
overnight they gave him treatment and next day was acting more normally so much so that my mother who flew in to see him does not grasp the extent of his previous behavior and tries to rationalize it.
im confident in my decision to have him hospitalized... but now what? mom wants to get him out of the hospital asap because its like a jail and she feels so bad for him. this is the first time any of us ever dealt with such a mental illness.
what is standard care for a guy that 'loses it', snaps, has nervous breakdown?
they only are keeping him because of what i told doctor about his behavior.
so basically,assuming the medication helped, how long should he be hospitalized before being allowed to be an outpatient? right away? a week? should he go to a special facility first?
my mother doesnt want to keep him in too long, i dont want it to be too short, as i know first hand the craziness he was spewing.
i dont know if my question is even really answerable.. but ANY advice about a situation like this would be helpful.
thanks

Bottom

downandout
Senior Supporter

6/12/11 6:11 PM

Sounds like you're dealing with a difficult situation.

Why don't you re-post your question in the "Ask the psychiatrist" section for Dr. Price to take a look at? I think he may have more by way of response than some of us laymen may have.

Hatzlachah!

-------------------------
I want to love my life. My desire is what counts.

Bottom

bugabuga
Junior Supporter

6/13/11 12:07 PM

good idea. thanks.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General (Mental Health) < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.