Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: dissociating
Created On 8/12/11 8:10 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

hugs
Senior Supporter

8/12/11 8:10 AM

Hi.
I was just told by someone that I might be dissociating to forget that something horrible is happening or has happened to me in the past. Does anyone know anything about this? I googled it but a lot of the stuff they said didn't make much sense to me. What does it mean to dissociate? How does one feel when doing it?
Really I'd appreciate any info that anyone has.
Thanks!

Bottom

addspouse
Junior Supporter

8/15/11 12:47 PM

Hi, I think disassociating means when you sort of see yourself out of body...
Like when you don't really feel yourself so much... It depends on the level that you would be feeling the disassociation.

-------------------------
Trust in Hashem

Bottom

Aba
Senior Supporter

8/25/11 4:31 PM
User is offline View users profile

I think one way of describing or looking at dissociating is separating "yourself" from what is happening to yourself or body. It's like denying the event is happening to you but to someone else and you are just watching from the side.

Hope this makes sense.
Dr. Lynn and/or Dr. Price's forums may be a good place to ask.

Kol Tuv.

"Success is peace of mind, which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to do your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming." - Coach John Wooden

Bottom

frumsw
Senior Supporter

8/25/11 9:13 PM

It's like you're in a bubble and you can see and hear everybody going around their business around you but you are removed from it all. Did it once after going through a painful time, felt wierd.

frumsw

Bottom

Ineedspace
Supporter

8/30/11 8:40 AM

Dissociation is a survival mechanism, when the pain is so difficult the person learns to just leave himself and "dissociates" and so doesn't feel the pain. Its like whatever is happening is as if it's happening in a movie and you're watching. Makes sense that you wouldn't remember episodes of your life for when you "dissociate" it's like it never happened to you for you did not experience it. Makes sense?

Bottom

hugs
Senior Supporter

8/30/11 8:39 PM

Thanks everyone for answering.
I definitely dissociate but never really realized that I was doing it. A lot of the time I feel like my whole life is just an out of body experience. Things are happening around me and I hear them going on but it's not really processing. I don't know if this makes any sense.
I guess this is something I should be telling my therapist about.
Missed therapy this past week because we were evacuated and this week she's on vacation so gotta wait til next wk to speak about it with her

Bottom

Ineedspace
Supporter

8/31/11 10:42 PM

It totally makes sense. The amount of pain is probable too severe and so your mind knows to automatically dissociate, and when you dissociate you don't have to feel the pain anymore. With the help of your Therapist you can now learn to stay with your pain, a little bit at a time, and slowly slowly you'll get emotionally stronger and you won't have to dissociate any more. Dissociation is one of those gifts that God grants sufferers to survive their pain, and now that you're aware of your dissociation it's the first step in the road to recovery. Makes sense?

Bottom

yisrael
Supporter

9/1/11 2:26 PM

dissociation is mentally vacating yourself so you dont have to experience anything

Bottom

chocnpeanutbutter
Supporter

9/8/11 3:42 PM

You're right it's a gift - sometimes I wish I could do it, but no such luck.

Don't judge me, and I won't judge you.

Bottom

wishtobehappy
Senior Supporter

9/8/11 9:04 PM

as much as it's a gift it can also be very disconcerting, makes you feel real weird and cut off from the rest of the world, and quite lonely too.

Bottom

Aba
Senior Supporter

9/8/11 9:26 PM
User is offline View users profile

I think it can also lead to may other problems. Maye Dr. Price or Dr Lynn can chime in.

"Success is peace of mind, which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to do your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming." - Coach John Wooden

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General (Mental Health) < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.