Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Havong Emuna makes you strong mental and physical
Created On 2/5/12 2:53 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

profiler
Junior Supporter

2/5/12 2:53 PM

Bottom

profiler
Junior Supporter

2/5/12 2:54 PM

Bottom

toy123
Senior Supporter

2/6/12 3:48 AM

Sorry I don't mean to be rude but this doesn't give me chizuk at all!!!!!! When I'm sad and depressed hearing having emunah makes you stronger mental and physical doesn't help me at all. it actually makes things WORSE!!!!!!! I am not interested to hear all these things that people say, Hashem doesn't give nisyonos to people who can't handle it, you must be special cuz Hashem thinks you can do it.... All these people should GO FLY A KITE!!!!! Attention everyone DISCLAIMER: I DID NOT CHOOSE THIS ILLNESS, i DO NOT MAKE MYSELF FEEL DEPRESSED, AND MOST IMPORTANT I CAN NOT FIX IT ALL MYSELF AND IN ONE SHOT. I NEED YOUR SUPPORT AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT OR DON'T WANNA SUPPORT ME THE DOOR IS OVER THERE..... Sorry I don't mean to be rude and yell it just gets me really upset when people come onto this site and start to write Hashem this Emunah that....

-------------------------
Sometimes you need to run away just to see who will follow you.

Sometimes when I say "I'm okay", I want someone to look me in the eyes, hug me tight and say "I know you are not".

Just because I'm smiling doesn't mean I'm happy.

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

2/6/12 11:20 AM
User is offline View users profile

Thanks toy...i don't think i could say it much more kindly....You weren't rude. the jerk who posted is.

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

star
Senior Supporter

2/6/12 8:25 PM

i couldn't agree with you more, toy and i love the disclaimer .

i read in this really good book called "off the derech" about a pyramid ,

basically that the foundation had to be emotional health,

and only then can you build on it other things( religion.)

don't quote me on that but that's the gist of it, if i understood it right.

there is light at the end of the tunnel

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

2/7/12 6:59 PM

I agree this notion is rather simplistic. Having emunah doesn't cure either mental or physical illnesses. We have other sources, written much before the above links, that don't trivialize pain and suffering. R. Akiva's "chavivin yisurin" comes to mind. Pain and suffering are part of life in galus. Our task is to reach out to Hashem while in pain, rather than deny the pain. "Hashem will scatter you among the peoples, and you will be left few in number among the nations where Hashem will lead you... From there you will seek Hashem, your G-d, and you will find Him, if you search for Him with all your heart and all your soul. When you are in _pain_ and all these things have befallen you, at the end of days, you will return unto Hashem, your G-d, and listen to His voice." (Devarim 4:27-30) I see my task as finding Hashem in my anxiety and depression. They've provided the incentive to work on my relationship with Hashem, and yes, to work on my emunah, but in a real and deep way, without denying my pain. I'd rather not experience any health issues, mental or physical. But while I'm here, I seek Hashem from here, and having been able to find Him and connect to Him is what keeps me going.

Bottom

emunahdoj
Senior Supporter

2/8/12 2:04 AM

In Garden of Emunah Arush says that depression and schizophrenia are not real...it just means you have a lack of emunah.

I cannot begin to tell you how angry this makes you. His books are all over the stores and he is so popular. Someone who is very depressed can read the statement he wrote and this person can acutally kill himself. How dare he say that?? I have been wanting to send him a letter.

As a psychology major and being around other educated people...there is a brain and scientific studies that show that mental illness is a chemical imbalance. Just like there is cancer, there is mental illness.

Bottom

star
Senior Supporter

2/8/12 7:35 AM

you should send him a letter! thats crazy he wrote that!

there is light at the end of the tunnel

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

2/8/12 2:39 PM
User is offline View users profile

some people just don't get....and with all the letters in the world never will. In some ways I say thank G-d, since if they were in our shoes, they'd be lost. In a way, we are much stronger having been "there."

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General (Mental Health) < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.