Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: What now?
Created On 4/12/12 3:40 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

4/12/12 3:40 PM

Taking a break from the kitchen and feeling sorry for myself. Could use some support here. So I did nine (nine!) weeks of TMS, which is supposed to be more effective than medication. I've never tried medication because I've been mostly pregnant or nursing or wanting to get pregnant. TMS gave me so much hope. I thought I finally found something that didn't affect having children and that would help me with my mental health issues. It was really hard. It took so much out of me to keep going, day after day. The TMS itself triggered a lot of anxiety. So I finished around Purim time and seemed to be feeling better. And then the anxiety started coming back. (Not so much depression. Maybe it did help with that.) Yesterday I went on a chol hamoed outing with my family. I was so anxious and felt so dysfunctional. And I wasn't even the one driving. I wasn't even the only responsible adult. My husband was there. And I still felt that I wasn't functioning. I've also been feeling really self-conscious around other people. I'm afraid that they might notice that something is off. I never felt this way before. Is that social anxiety?

What will happen when Pesach is over? I get agoraphobic when I'm anxious. How will I take my kids to their activities? How will I take them to the park even? Where is my life going? Is there hope? Should I start medication and forget about having more kids any time soon? Does medication really help?

Bottom

tryin2behopeful
Supporter

4/15/12 1:04 AM

Why don't you try "Seretin" for depression and "Anxietin" for anxiety from hellolife.net, they are completely natural homeopathic remedies and are gr8

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

4/16/12 12:36 AM

Those look interesting. Have you actually used them? Are they better than the remedies you can get in a health food store?

Bottom

tryin2behopeful
Supporter

4/16/12 12:42 AM

Not sure what remedies you can get in a health food store, but I use these and they are great. I use it together with a combination of vitamins and vitamin b12 injections that were prescribed by a natural doctor. I've struggled with depression for years and B"H these have helped me feel better. Although people are different..for some medication is good..I tried it but had a bad reaction to a few medications. For others, alternative medicine is the way to go...and the good news is that it's completely natural...Good luck, let me know how it's going!

Bottom

tryin2behopeful
Supporter

4/16/12 12:44 AM

and it also helped me with anxiety. I used to be soo anxious and now b"h my anxiety is very low and infrequent

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

4/17/12 1:52 AM

Thanks! Do you have to take it every day or as needed?

Bottom

tryin2behopeful
Supporter

4/17/12 9:43 AM

twice a day..though it's routine by now so now big deal

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

4/20/12 4:54 PM
User is offline View users profile

I hope this isn't too late...but check with your doctor (psyciatrist and regular) before taking any natural medications....They can be dangerous....especially if you become pregnant.

-------------------------

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

4/24/12 12:43 AM

Well, I tried Anxietin, and it made me feel worse. I felt agitated, kept waking up at night, and just weird. Called my psychiatrist. She told me that there is no such thing as an FDA-approved psychiatric natural medicine. The site carefully says that they are FDA-listed, but that doesn't mean anything. My dr thought it was risky to take something like that.

There goes that idea. Back to medication. To take or not to take?

I have been getting out of the house, but still feel very fragile and not fully functional.

Bottom

tryin2behopeful
Supporter

4/24/12 7:12 AM

sorry to hear that

different things work for different people.

good luck finding something that works!

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

5/7/12 4:38 PM

how are you doing hopeful?
a lynn

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

5/8/12 5:59 PM

B"H better. I've been getting out of the house, slowly for more and more time. I guess it counts as exposure, because the more I do it, the less anxious and panicky I feel. But I still don't feel fully functional. Still thinking about medication. Also looking into some nutritional things.

What do you recommend to your patients, Dr. Lynn? When is it time to declare defeat and go on medication?

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

5/9/12 2:57 PM

Hopeful,
First of all, I don't think taking medication is admitting defeat. Meds are not a magic wand nor are they a crutch. The way I see it, they are a tool to help people function more effectively. Unfortunately, it often takes a while before the right medication and/or dosage is determined. Without doing a more thorough evaluation for you, I am not comfortable telling you you should or shouldn't be on meds. I do think getting an evaluation can be helpful. Please forgive me, but I do not remember your history, if you shared it here. As a general rule of thumb, with my patients, I give 3-6 months of therapy alone if the person does not want meds. Of course, if the person is suicidal/homicidal or not functioning at all, sooner. Feel free to private message me if you feel it would be helpful.
a lynn

Bottom

star
Senior Supporter

5/9/12 5:52 PM

Originally posted by: Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Hopeful,
First of all, I don't think taking medication is admitting defeat.

wow, those words make me feel so much better about taking meds.

there is light at the end of the tunnel

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

5/10/12 6:59 PM

Good. It's not something to be ashamed of in my opinion.
a lynn

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

5/11/12 1:43 PM
User is offline View users profile

I agree! ITs not defeat! ITs using resources that are available to you!!

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

5/16/12 2:35 PM

I tell people all the time: "Hashem made meds, too"
a lynn

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

5/30/12 5:04 PM

So I started medication. Wish me luck. I'm feeling anxious and exhausted, but it feels good to know that I'm doing something about it.

Bottom

tryin2behopeful
Supporter

5/30/12 9:11 PM

Good luck! Hope you start feeling better soon!

Bottom

reach4thestars
Senior Supporter

5/30/12 9:27 PM

Good for you!

Bottom

star
Senior Supporter

5/31/12 6:13 PM

wow thats a brave step, hopefulmommy.
im also feeling totally exhausted, i cant deal with anything.

there is light at the end of the tunnel

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

6/3/12 1:19 AM

Thanks for the support! I really need it. It's so hard in the beginning. I've been feeling nauseous on the mornings and having a hard time functioning.

Bottom

toy123
Senior Supporter

6/3/12 9:15 AM

You can do it HopefulMommy!!!! At first the side effects are horrible but then you see how much it helps. Hang in there!!!!!!

Sometimes you need to run away just to see who will follow you.

Sometimes when I say "I'm okay", I want someone to look me in the eyes, hug me tight and say "I know you are not".

Just because I'm smiling doesn't mean I'm happy.

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

6/7/12 2:15 PM

Let us know how it's going
a lynn

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General (Mental Health) < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.