Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: gluten and anxiety
Created On 3/6/13 10:02 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

thinkgood
Supporter

3/6/13 10:02 PM

Hey,

Anyone out there tried being "gluten free" to lessen anxiety?

So I've been noticing that after Shabbos, I've been having much more anxiety...really bad twists in my brain that I couldn't think normally..my doctor asked me what I eat differently on Shabbos. Turns out that during the week I ate spouted grains...and only on Shabbos I ate regular wheat.

So he told me to go off wheat...and I substituted it for spelt instead. I noticed a change after the first shabbos...the twisty thoughts went away b''h. But still I've been noticing that I was having more anxiety after eating spelt...although less than before...so I decided to go off spelt completely as well. Anyhow I've noticed that my brain feels lighter and my thoughts are more normal b"h My doc says sprouted grains are ok for me although they have gluten cuz they're much easier to digest.

Anyone out there experience the same? I could use some support and ideas with trying to figure out this gluten free diet... my family/friends don't know the real reason I changed my diet..I just said I "discovered" an "allergy" but I'm not comfortable saying the real story...and I don't rly have much support in general. Once a week therapy is wayyy too little but my therapist isn't available to do more.

And maybe some of you can find this helpful...

Bottom

thinkgood
Supporter

3/10/13 7:50 PM

anyone??

I feel so alone in this- trying to discover the root to my anxiety

my new discovery is that dairy is also causing me anxiety- although a different type so I'm going off that as well

any input would be helpful

thanks

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

3/10/13 8:43 PM

Have you ever been diagnosed with IBS? It's somehow related to anxiety. They even prescribe antidepressants for it.

Bottom

wishtobehappy
Senior Supporter

3/10/13 9:06 PM

I personally am not sensitive to gluten so I didn't try it, but I've tried being off wheat because it worsened depression/anxiety for me. It wasn't the complete answer, though, and I had to tackle it from different ends also.

I also tried being off fructose and lactose in the past and it helped too. there's a very strong connection between the brain and the gut and if you happen to be fructose/lactose intolerant it may definitely affect anxiety levels. If fructose/lactose doesn't get absorbed in your intestines the way it should, they then bind to zinc, folic acid and tryptophan in your large intestine, depleting these nutrients which are very important for serotonin production. google fructose/lactose malabsorbtion/intolerance if this strikes a chord with you. g'luck!

Bottom

thinkgood
Supporter

3/12/13 7:54 PM

Thanks for the responses...

No I don't have IBS- I guess I am just sensitive to these things.

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

3/13/13 3:50 PM
User is offline View users profile

I don't think I could go gluten free....even if it did effect my anxiety....kol hakavod!

-------------------------

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

star
Senior Supporter

3/13/13 6:03 PM

it blows my mind that anyone suffering from depression could go on a diet and restrict themselves from one of the very few things somewhat enjoyable when depresed. I've tried dieting and tried oa but I didn't lose much weight so it wasn't worth the deprivation.im scred of gaining more as the years go on but I simply don't have the emotional fortitude to lose this one secure relationship.

-------------------------
there is light at the end of the tunnel

Bottom

thinkgood
Supporter

3/14/13 12:27 AM

I totally understand- when I was seriously depressed I couldn't either diet at all- I just didn't have the strength.

Now it's more anxiety than depression- and it's hard but very motivating when I see that it helps my anxiety a lot. I'm not totally deprived- I eat sprouted wheat bread so that's filling. And the dairy free isn't as hard as I thought- so far

Thanks for the responses

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

3/18/13 4:28 PM

Do you see someone knowledgable about nutrition, allergies, alternative approaches to food?
a lynn

Bottom

thinkgood
Supporter

3/18/13 7:59 PM

yup

Bottom

thinkgood
Supporter

3/18/13 8:00 PM

yup

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

3/20/13 5:37 PM

What do they recommend?
a lynn

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General (Mental Health) < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.