Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: How do you feel about frum pharmacists?
Created On 3/14/13 8:52 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

3/14/13 8:52 PM

I went to pick up my Zoloft refill. I usually go to a pharmacy in a big supermarket, and pick up lots of other things along the way. This time, for the first time ever, there was a frum pharmacist there, a guy with a yarmulke. I felt kind of awkward, especially when he kind of looked up at me when he saw I was getting Zoloft. I don't know the guy, he doesn't know me, and there are lots of frum Jews in this neighborhood, B"H, so it's not surprising that a frum guy works there. But it was still weird.

Anyone else feel this way? Where do you go to get your meds? Do you avoid frum places?

Bottom

wannabehappy21
Supporter

3/15/13 3:52 PM

I go to a frum pharmacy to get my meds.
I'm not sure if the pharmacist is frum but everyone
working there is. I don't think that they look at
what it says on the prescription so it doesn't really
bother me. I don't think that it's a big deal if he doesn't
know you.

Bottom

MoMo
Senior Supporter

3/15/13 3:53 PM

Yeah I totally get it! I also avoid Frum Pharmacists

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

3/17/13 2:37 PM
User is offline View users profile

Do they have the same requirements of confidentiality professionally as a doctor or psychologist??? I never thought about it as my pharmacist isn't frum. I've used frum ones in the past but hated it...mainly because the pharmacy stunk though.

-------------------------

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

3/18/13 4:30 PM

Would it help to goto a pharmacy in another neighborhood or have your meds delivered to your doctor's office?
a lynn

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

3/18/13 11:00 PM

I don't think I'm motivated enough to schlep to a different neighborhood. But if the pharmacists don't have the same confidentiality requirements, and the guy knows my last name, can the word really get around??

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

3/19/13 6:38 PM
User is offline View users profile

Does the pharmacist have a life??? Seriously, the dude has to remember you're taking an antidepressant or what not, then have the time and energy (and stupidity) to gossip about you behind your back. Unless this pharmacist is an acquaintance, I wouldn't be too worried. Most pharmacists deal with so many prescriptions a day that it probably doesn't really phase them much what you take. Plus, many medications used to treat depression are used to treat things such as long-term pain or seizures so they don't know what it's for unless your doctor is obnoxious enough to write that it's for long-term depression because you're a total psychotic, drooling weirdo. (Hopefully you get my humor....not meaning to offend .)

-------------------------

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

MoMo
Senior Supporter

3/20/13 9:26 AM

If you take Prozac, or Xanax or any other medication known for Depression/Anxiety the pharmacist will know that you struggle a little. We all know that it's no big deal.

However, in the Frum world where everyone knows everyone why take the chance of being outed?
For all you know your cousin will get engaged to this dudes Uncle and you'll be bumping in to each other at the Simchos.
Why create an uncomfortable situation.....

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

3/20/13 8:39 PM

Munkster, I love your sense of humor!

I'm hoping the pharmacist won't remember me.

Bottom

emunahdoj
Senior Supporter

3/20/13 11:25 PM

It has happened to me before. The pharmacist was frum and he was working there for about a year. I just played it cool...and acted like everything was fine. He is not working there anymore. It was a little akward but i had the attitude (like I did with shidduchim also) ok, yeah, so i'm on medcation..it's not a big deal. Maybe I would feel differently if I knew who he was.

Bottom

wishtobehappy
Senior Supporter

3/21/13 5:55 AM

I used to feel awkward too, until I found out that close to 50% of the prescriptions they filled at my pharmacy, were for antidepressants and tranquilizers... It's unfortunately become an epidemic these day and I don't think it reflects badly on you.

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

3/25/13 9:20 AM

May Hashem remove stigma, so we can focus on what is really important!
a lynn

Bottom

Mimi1022
Senior Supporter

4/12/13 5:36 PM

Hopefulmommy:

I don't mean to sound blunt, but do think the pharmacist is seriously thinking of you when he fills your prescription? He probably fills 1,000 prescriptions per day and could seriously care less. He probably doesn't even remember you. He's too busy thinking about all the other prescriptions he has to fill - like for example, antipsychotics, HIV medication, morphine, and any other medication people are on these days that they may be "embarrassed" about. You're probably one of hundreds of patients filling their Zoloft prescription that day, and the next day he'll be seeing even more. Just part of the job.

At any rate I don't mean to be harsh but just keep in mind anyone in the health profession has seen and heard everything these days. Trust me.

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

4/12/13 5:47 PM

Thanks Mimi. I'm sure you're right. I guess I needed some reassurance.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General (Mental Health) < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.