Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Resources
Created On 7/10/13 2:51 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

7/10/13 2:51 PM

I'm compiling a list of mental health resources in the frum community. I want to put them in an appendix at the end of my book. Any ideas or suggestions? Here's what I have so far:

Books
Avigdor Bonchek, Ph.D. Religious Compulsions and Fears: A Guide to Treatment. Felheim, 2009.
Rabbi Baruch Finkelstein, Michal Finkelstein, RN CNM, with Doreen Winter, MSW. Delivery From Darkness: A Jewish guide to prevention and treatment of postpartum depression. Feldheim, 2009.
Dr. Naftali Fish. Nachas Ruach: Torah-Based Psychotherapy and Tools for Growth and Healing. Targum Press, 2011.
Esther Gross. You Are Not Alone: A Three-Dimentional Torah Approach to Overcoming Anxiety. Feldheim, 2013.
Seymour Hoffman, Ph.D. Mental Health, Psychotherapy and Judaism. Golden Sky, NY, 2011.
Shoshanah Kagan. Waves of Blue. From Turbulence to Tranquility: A Real-Life Experience With Postpartum Depression. Israel Bookshop Publications, 2010.
Rabbi Elimelech Lamdan. Torah Therapy: A Guide to Therapy in the Spirit of Torah. Feldheim, 2006.
Joshua Mark, Ph.D. Returning to Joy: A Jewish self-care guide for overcoming depression. Targum/Feldheim, 2003.
Joshua Mark, Ph.D. The Power of the Positive: Stories, Strategies, and Insights. Targum/Feldheim, 2007.
Rabbi Shais Taub. G-d of our Understanding: Jewish Spirituality and Recovery from Addiction. Ktav Publishing House, Inc., 2011.
Rabbi Abraham J. Twerski, M.D. Getting Up When You’re Down: A mature discussion of an adult malady – depression and related conditions. Shaar Press, 1997.

Jewish organizations that help those dealing with depression and anxiety:
Relief Resources – Mental Health referrals, education, and support
Local phone numbers:
New York: (718) 431-9501
New Jersey: (732) 905-1605
Canada: (416) 789-1600
Israel: (02) 580-8008

Ohel Mental Health Services
Phone number: 1-800-603-OHEL or 718-851-6300

Sparks Center – Serving pre- and post-natal women and families with awareness, relief, knowledge, and support
Phone number: 718-2-SPARKS

Yad Rachel
Phone number: 732-364-4IMA (4462)

Nitza – The Israel Center for Maternal Health
Phone number: 02-5002-824

Resources for finding a frum therapist or psychiatrist:
www.nefesh.org
www.frumtherapist.com

Rabbis who are familiar with mental health:

Rabbi Dovid Cohen

Rabbi Dovid Goldwasser

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

7/10/13 6:52 PM
User is offline View users profile

Dont forget to add Frumsupport!!!!!

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

7/11/13 1:17 PM

Yes, I put it in! Any other frum support groups I should mention?

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

7/11/13 1:46 PM

theres jewswithquestions.com. on the bottom is frumteens and in the "Deep trouble" folder there is some mental health talk. not much though and its rarely chcked.... and theres also the yehiva world coffee room.....

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

7/11/13 2:00 PM

I just looked at it, and it looks like a nice site! Thanks.

What about the yeshiva world coffee room? Is it related to mental health?

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

7/11/13 8:13 PM

sometimes kinda. maybe you should check it out. go to http://www.theyeshivaworld.com/coffeeroom/ and scroll down to the bottom/middle of the page for the topics... there is none explicitly for mental health but.....

Bottom

fattygolucky
Supporter

7/12/13 3:12 AM

for the old frumteens site, before it got added to jewswithquestions, go to classic.frumteens.com the deep trouble section, really all of the sections there are a big help to read through, even though there aren't new posts on there. (sigh. that site was my lifeline until they started the new site, and actually where i heard about frumsupport)
idk about the coffeeroom though... it's not always the best of places for these discussions. but that's just my opinion

-------------------------
ki ayshayv ba'choshech, Hashem ohr li

...somedays i'm still fighting to walk towards the light

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

7/12/13 9:55 AM

I know FattyGoLucky, i agree, they both kinda stink, what would we do without FS? right?

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

7/12/13 1:20 PM

I don't think I'll list the yeshiva world coffee room. It's not specific enough.

Question on frumteens: so is the older website not active anymore?

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

7/12/13 1:25 PM

Another question. Which rabbis are understanding of mental health and should be listed in the book? So far I have Rabbi Goldwasser and Rabbi Cohen, although I still have to double check with both of them if it's OK to put their contact info in the book. Any other suggestions? I would ask them first, before putting them on the list.

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

7/12/13 2:52 PM

nope, its not active anymore. ....
other Rabbbonim? maybe call releif and ask them? or echo or shalom task force or anything like that...

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

7/12/13 3:18 PM

That's a good idea. What's echo?

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

7/12/13 3:56 PM

i dont know... i jsut rember hearing about it on the site once or twice. i think it maybe helps pay for therapy or makes referals? but i dont know!!!

Bottom

wishtobehappy
Senior Supporter

7/12/13 4:39 PM

Echo is a medical referral agency but they also have a mental health department. Rabbi Weitz is the contact person. He's really nice.

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

7/19/13 12:26 PM

I called Echo, but they said they don't do mental health referrals. Do you have Rabbi Weitz's contact info?

Bottom

MoMo
Senior Supporter

7/19/13 12:39 PM

There is something important to note: Relief generally avoids referring to therapists that do psycho dynamic therapy. Rabbi Babad likes the short term therapies like CBT
Some people need the longer term therapies but when they call relief they don't get to the right place...

I've heard this from a few smart people

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

7/19/13 12:46 PM

Thanks for letting me know. I don't know how to say this in the book though. Do you know if there is any other organization that does referrals for long term therapy, so people would have a choice?

Bottom

wishtobehappy
Senior Supporter

7/19/13 12:54 PM

I got referrals from them in the past. Either they don't do it anymore, or they don't want it publicized. I used to ask for Rabbi Weitz directly, and he would call me back. Maybe you can ask to speak to him, and then ask him if he knows of any other organizations.

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

7/19/13 1:14 PM

Is he at the 718 number or at the 845 number?

Bottom

wishtobehappy
Senior Supporter

7/19/13 1:31 PM

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

7/22/13 7:44 PM

Also Sovri hotline. Can't get number right now but if you need it, I'll try to find. Also, Jonah I believe it is called....I disagree with Jonah as a group but maybe they can help someone.

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

Mimi1022
Senior Supporter

7/22/13 7:51 PM

I used to work at Ohel mental health. What services are you suggesting from there?

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

7/22/13 8:16 PM

I googled and found the Sovri hotline. Thanks Munkster! I'm not sure about Jonah. Doesn't seem relevant. What do you guys think?

Mimi, I'm assuming they have many different services. Whoever needs them can look them up, or call them up. What was it like working at Ohel? What did you do there?

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

7/24/13 1:38 PM

Many people dealing with SSA are also dealing with depression and such. It's the only reason I even thought of it.

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

7/24/13 3:24 PM

I just looked through the Jonah website and didn't find anything about depression. I see what you're saying, but I think it's too tangential.

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

7/24/13 8:02 PM

Another is Massachusetts General Hospital (at least if I remember correctly that's where I went) has a psychiatry program that is a good resource if someone wants to be on meds while pregnant. I believe it is called their Perinatal Psychiatry Unit, but I could be wrong. Their website is EXTREMELY helpful and if you can either afford it or get your insurance to pay for it, you can go there and get an evaluation and recommendations for meds while pregnant. For example, at one point in pregnancy they said I could take Adderall with relatively few side effects that could harm the baby. With the written recommendations for my local psychiatrist, I was able to have a relatively sane pregnancy with some medications during differnent intervals of pregnancy.

Bottom

Mimi1022
Senior Supporter

7/24/13 9:08 PM

I worked with individuals diagnosed with severe mental disorders. It was very humbling.

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

7/24/13 10:03 PM

Humbling in what way?

Bottom

MoMo
Senior Supporter

7/25/13 12:52 AM

I have searched for a long time for a frum group therapy since it is one of the most important things for social anxiety I found only one therapist that runs groups for frum people. Do you want his info as a resource?
If yes then email me...

Bottom

Mimi1022
Senior Supporter

7/25/13 9:02 PM

It was a privilege to work with my clients and I got to see the world through a different lens.

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

7/25/13 9:11 PM

That's so interesting. I'd love to hear more, Mimi.

Bottom

chai80
Junior Supporter

8/8/13 6:57 PM

Rabbi who is also a psychologist Dr. Dov Finman 516-350-8564. His website is drdovfinman.com

Bottom

I'mTrying
Senior Supporter

8/12/13 5:04 PM

Edited: 8/12/13 at 11:12 PM by I'mTrying

Bottom

I'mTrying
Senior Supporter

8/12/13 5:05 PM

Originally posted by: Mimi1022
It was a privilege to work with my clients and I got to see the world through a different lens.

I sure hope you did not speak to your clients the way you speak to others here. You have a lot of power to heal and conversely, to hurt others. Not sure why you don't seem to get that.

Edited: 8/12/13 at 11:14 PM by I'mTrying

Bottom

alharro
Supporter

10/21/13 3:36 PM

how about nafshee.org

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General (Mental Health) < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.