Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: SOME ADVICE FROM A THERAPIST:
Created On 11/14/05 2:45 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

frumtherapist
Supporter

11/14/05 2:45 PM

Hi all:
I am licensed social worker, and an addictions therapist. I have just been notifed about this forum, and think it is a tremendously positive thing. However, as I've been skimming through some of the mental health posts, I have noticed a disturbing thing. In response to people who post their questions and dilemmas, people are responding with their own experiences and opinions. MORE THAN ONCE, I CAME ACROSS PEOPLE, WHO, WHILE POSSIBLY HAVING THE BEST OF INTENTIONS, GAVE POTENTIALLY HARMFUL ADVICE AND OPINIONS.
I think it is important therefore for all of us to keep in mind the source of information you read here, and read and think CRITICALLY. If you are unsure as to the veracity of an opinion or advice, CONSULT WITH A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL - WHO IS EXPERT IN THAT PARTICULAR AREA. For example, while someone might be a good therapist, it by NO means makes this therapist an expert in addictions. And so on....

Bottom

bubbles
Supporter

11/14/05 3:56 PM

Hi T,

Thank u for taking the time to read here.

Ahem... I hope u r not MY therapist.

Well even if u r I'd like to offer my opinion.

I think the words "Frum support" are self explanotary.

this is a site for "Support". I don't believe anyone would actually think that an anonymous person on a web site could actually "know" what another persons needs.

Personally, I am happy to read other people's advice, BUT thats as far as it goes. If I choose to go along with what someone else has offered, I will obviously be doing so at my own risk. If it seems like sound advice then I will consult with my doctor, or therapist, or husband or friend for that matter.

I am a member on another site, where literally hundreds of people from all around the world talk to each other. This site is specifically for therapists and anyone else who are victims of abuse.

People are constantly asking for and offering advice on a whole range of topics. Be it medications, or which therapist to go to. It is a site of well informed people where many have had lots of experience in different areas. For example if I were interested in finding "real" information about a new treatment for myself, such as EMDR, I would not hesitate to go on the site and pose my question. Does that mean that I would then immediately start seeing the emdr therapist that "someone" recommended? Of course not! It just gives me hands - on information.

Since we are on the subject, what concerns me more about this website is that the server is down every other week. Mostly on weekends. Let me tell you, THAT is more dangerous than anything else.

People depend on communicating over here.
Sometimes a message is written, and the person waits for a reply.
Sometimes difficult things are introduced here.

And if one has to constantly be waiting and checking to see if the server is back up, it does not make for a very trustworthy place to be.

ps.
I am extremely thankful for this venue in which to communicate my struggles. I am not Chas V'esholom complaining. I understand that it takes lots of time to run a site such as this one.
Constructive critisism is all I offer.

Thanks again T.
Hope this helps.

Bubbles

Bottom

Admin
Administrator

11/14/05 4:10 PM

Hi everyone,

We are very aware of the technical troubles that the site has been experiencing lately and we are looking into many options on ways to upgrade the site. I would also like to take this opportunity and mention that it takes a small fortune to run and advertise this site properly (and lack of funding is partially to blame for the troubles we were having lately). In order to make this site more active it needs to be advertised aggressively and that costs a fortune. There are many thousands of people out there who can benefit greatly from this site if we can only reach them and let them know that it exists. This site was created l'shem mitzvah and can only continue through the constant support of people who care. Any donations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Admin

Bottom

ernie55B
Senior Supporter

11/14/05 8:06 PM

To FrumTherapist:

Couldn't agree more with Bubbles. You must think very little of people on this site if you think someone will immediately take the potentially harmful advice of someone they never met, without considering the source.
Also, if you believe some of the advice may be harmful, maybe you have an obligation to let us know what that might be so we can be wary.

Bottom

bubbles
Supporter

11/14/05 11:13 PM

Hi Admin,

My apologies.
I did not mean to come across sounding so ungrateful.

I fully comprehend the finances which are necessary to keep this site up and running efficiently. (besides the time factor)

Unfortunately I myself am over the top trying to pay therapy bills.

If there is some way I can let people know about the site I would gladly offer to help.

I have benefited enormously from other sites, as I mentioned above, and I was thrilled to find this frum support.

There have been days and months when I completely depended on my communication with others experiencing similar situations on the other secular web site.
Where in our community could I have found constant support on a subject so rejected by our leaders?

I sincereley hope that this site will continue, so that all the thousands of people out there may benefit.

Thanks again,
Bubbles.

Bottom

frumtherapist
Supporter

11/16/05 12:48 PM

Dear all,
Thanks for reading and responding to my post. I am sorry some of you seem slighted by my words. I am happy that at least the people who took the time to respond seem articulate and thoughtful, and know how to use this forum in the way it is meant. My concern lies with people who come here in "crisis mode", not turning to actual agencies or professionals out of concerns of confidentiality, etc. These people are in a vulnerable place, and the information they read on this forum can have an important impact on them. It is to these people who are in need and looking for some assistance that I directed my remarks.
I am in correspondence with the administrator of this forum, and at this point can only say that when I do have a chance to "tune in" here, I will be happy to share advice, thoughts, and responses to the posts here.
It's a pleasure "meeting" you all here.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General (Mental Health) < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.