Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: New here -- looking for support
Created On 11/17/05 2:44 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

11/17/05 2:44 PM

I am so excited that I found this site! I don't know where to start. Let's see. I've had panic disorder for a few years. After I had my first child, I got so agoraphobic I couldn't go anywhere. I had cognitive-behavioral therapy, and it really helped. I've never been on medication, because I've been pregnant or nursing. Pregnancies seem to set me back. I had a very hard time with my third, who is now 3 months. It's not only panic attacks any more. I don't even know what it is. In the last month of pregnancy I was so anxious I began losing weight. It was scary. I couldn't relax, my muscles hurt because they were so tense all the time. After I gave birth, I felt great in the beginning, but then I was so down -- anxious about being alive, not looking forward to anything, wishing I had never been born. I also had to deal with agoraphobia all over again. B"H, bli ayin hara, I am doing much better now, functioning well. Almost nobody knows that I have this problem. But it would be nice to meet other people going through the same thing. I'd like to have more children, but I'm scared. I can barely deal with my life as it is. So many things I want to say, but I think I'll stop here for now. And if I can be of help to anybody suffering from panic disorder feel free to ask me about it.

Bottom

downsyndrome
Supporter

11/17/05 9:36 PM
User is offline View users profile

Hi Hopeful Mommy -
I sent you a private message; do you know how to retrieve it?

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

11/21/05 12:59 AM

Hopeful Mommy,
First, Mazel Tov! Is is possible your symptoms are post-partum? Is your baseline (ie- when you are not pg or recently given birth) anxious and/or depressed? Do tell your ob about your symptoms? If not, I suggest you do. What you are experienceing is fairly common.
A Lynn

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

11/21/05 8:11 PM

Thank you! My symptoms are definitely affected by hormonal changes. Most of my panic attacks happen when I have a period, or when I'm pregnant or nursing. I told my midwife about it. She gave an herbal tea recipe. It helped a little. What can an OB do, other than refer to a psychiatrist? Which I would rather avoid, because I'm nursing and don't want to take drugs.

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

11/24/05 12:08 AM

Ask the ob what they can do other than see a psychiatrist? By the way, I have seen women nurse and successfully take certain psych meds for anxiety/depression. My general rule of thumb is to communicate with your MD's- they may surprise you.
A Lynn

Bottom

analia
Junior Supporter

2/12/06 11:27 PM

dr lynn is right i personaly know many women who take prozac during pregnancy, and after delivery. and they do great!
one of my friends tall me *i really don't know why doctors didn't recomend me this medication w/my first baby¨
i my self prefer to take homeopathy , but you know waht? sometime medication is necesary , and i find that taking medication(w/ doctor advise of course) gives as a result ....a happy mamy , happy baby and why not... happy husband!
hope you feel good very soon .

ps:sorry for the mistakes my ingles is not that good

Bottom

rainbow
Supporter

2/14/06 9:27 AM
User is offline View users profile

Hi hopeful mommy, Been there, done that. I understand you soo well. You can PM me. 7 yrs of suffering has taught me a lot. I have taken medication during pregnancy, and nursing.
People around me would never guess what I am going through. My family does know.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General (Mental Health) < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.