Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Encouragement Wanted for Dec 1st
Created On 11/28/05 10:54 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

striving
Junior Supporter

11/28/05 10:54 PM

Dear Anyone,

I didn't see a forum for anxiety, so I am posting here. I have a big presentation on Thurs, and I am nervous. I am not as prepared as I want to be becasue I had less time than I thought I would to prepare. I am trying to practice "turning it over." I am not in charge of how it goes. I canonly do the best I can do, and whatever it will be it will be.If I do a lousy job it is not the end of the world etc.

In general I have a problem with anxiety especially when I have to speak like on Thurs. I have tools to help me but anysuggestions and encouragementis welcome.

Thank you

-S

Bottom

bubbles
Supporter

11/29/05 9:43 AM

Dear Striving,

I'm not really a "speaking" person.
I do much better on paper.

I was actually very recently I was asked to give a 10 min workshop on the subject of my proffession, and I refused, because I was too anxious to face so many people and "talk"!

Public speaking is a well known cause for anxiety.
There are lectures and workshops given all the time, to help people overcome this kind of anxiety.

I really don't have any helpful hints, except one that I just remembered hearing from someone. I'm just not sure if its appropiate for this forum so I'll PM it to you.

Good luck, and please let us know how it went.

Bottom

ernie55B
Senior Supporter

11/29/05 6:00 PM

Hi Striving!

Here's what I do before I daven for the amud - I am in my 40s and still get tense- I take a deep breath in and slowly exhale. Do this frequently starting about 20 minutes before you start. It works.
if it's not too late, you can even ask your MD for any beta-blocker med. which is usually used for blood pressure control, but is also used for 'stage fright' even by a member of the NY Philharmonic Orchestra!
It's not as extreme as it sounds.

Either way, best of luck- I'm sure you will do well.

Ernie

Oh- also, if you mention to the audience when you begin that you are nervous and they should please bear with you, that is a proven technique that works as well.

Bottom

ernie55B
Senior Supporter

12/3/05 8:30 PM

Hi Striving!

How was your presentation?

Ernie

Bottom

striving
Junior Supporter

12/4/05 2:02 AM

Hey bubbles and ernie,

Thank you so much for writing, especially given you are going through tough times - yourselves.

My presentation was actuallly pushed off until the 3rd week in December, which I am happy about, although it means more work on a related project.

I love this site. It is a great support system. We are not alone.

Hoping G-d gives you lots of chizuk, and healing love.

-Striving

Bottom

ernie55B
Senior Supporter

12/4/05 10:34 AM

Ok Striving,

Thank you. Let us know then how it goes,OK? And try those techniques!

Ernie

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

12/21/05 2:40 PM

when i speak, i just revel in the spotlight and don't think about anything else. maybe this will help you?

atara

-------------------------
what the hecka is a signiature?

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General (Mental Health) < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.