Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Where to go for shabbos?
Created On 8/23/14 9:56 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

ArtYgirl
Supporter

8/23/14 9:56 PM

Ok so I come from a family that's not religious. When I was 14 I started becoming more religious, dressing modest, keeping shabbos, learning Hebrew ECt. Anyway at 18 I stopped. And now I'm starting to become interested again. But the thing is I don't want to be at home. I have family problems but also I just don't like being all alone and bored on shabbos. I have a few religious friends but most I haven't talked to in a while...they got really busy...so I want to know how can I meet more people and meet people who's house I can go to for shabbos? I just want to be able to feel good on shabbos. But the thing is because of my mental illness I don't feel good a lot I have nightmares ECt.

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

8/24/14 7:56 AM

You can call chabad

Bottom

toy123
Senior Supporter

8/25/14 12:42 AM

You can try shabbat.com they have where u can eat the meals and also lodging... good luck!! Let us know what happens...

-------------------------
Sometimes you need to run away just to see who will follow you.

Sometimes when I say "I'm okay", I want someone to look me in the eyes, hug me tight and say "I know you are not".

Just because I'm smiling doesn't mean I'm happy.

Bottom

MoMo
Senior Supporter

8/25/14 8:44 PM

I agree try Shabbat.com

Bottom

ArtYgirl
Supporter

8/25/14 8:56 PM

I only want to go to people I know because of my mental illness and stuff makes it hard for me

Bottom

MoMo
Senior Supporter

8/26/14 12:01 AM

I hear that!

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

8/26/14 9:20 PM

first you wrote:

Originally posted by: ArtYgirl
I have a few religious friends but most I haven't talked to in a while...they got really busy...so I want to know how can I meet more people and meet people who's house I can go to for shabbos?

so people suggested how you can meet new people.

then you wrote:

Originally posted by: ArtYgirl
I only want to go to people I know because of my mental illness and stuff makes it hard for me

so i'm confused. do you want to spend shabbos with new people, or with people you know?

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

8/26/14 9:21 PM

if you want to spend shabbos with people you know, then maybe you can call them up, and ask them if you can come for shabbos.

Bottom

ArtYgirl
Supporter

8/28/14 2:58 PM

I know that's because I am confused. I want new friends but i also am scared because I don't know how they'll act to me because of everything. And I wish I didn't even have to make new friends but usually most of my friends don't seem to care much about me or want to be with me.

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

8/28/14 8:31 PM

Right now it seems very scary to meet new people.

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

8/29/14 4:30 PM

How is it going today?

Hope to hear good news.

Have a good Shabbos

Bottom

Teddybear
Supporter

8/30/14 11:14 PM
User is offline View users profile

You wrote you don't want to go places because of your mental illness. Can I ask what it is about your mental illness that you don't want to interact? Is there any way anyone would be able to tell you have a mental illness? If so (although I can't think of any reason why it would be obvious), is there any possibility that even if people do know, they may have a mental illness themselves or know someone who does? In general I think when people host for Shabbos they are open to meeting all types of people, especially on Shabbat.com. I invite guests to our meals and I realize I have to be open minded (which we are usually) because anyone can walk in our door. That being said as a host I've had a wonderful experience meeting people I never would have before and hearing all sorts of things I thought were interesting. I really liked meeting all of them and I don't see any reason why if you came to my house, for example, you would be rejected in any way.

I think people who are open to hosting are the open minded type, and if they're closed minded you probably wouldn't want to be friends with them anyways right?

Edited: 8/30/14 at 11:16 PM by Teddybear

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

8/31/14 10:28 AM

You make a good point, that hosts are generally receptive and welcoming and understanding.

Still, when a guest feels very self conscious that their behaviour may not be up to par, it can be very challenging to meet new people. No one like to feel that others regard them as strange.

I guess the solution may be to just jump in the water. And even though it's at first cold, eventually we get used to it, and with time the water becomes warmer.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General (Mental Health) < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.