Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: depressed
Created On 9/9/14 10:35 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

feelingawful
Supporter

9/9/14 10:35 PM

Hi everyone, I get very depressed whenever it rains, my mood is sooo out of wack when it rains, I feel like crying and just eating and thrn I regret it after I eat it but that's the only thing that makes me happier when it rains. And i'm veryyyyy overweight, and I went on a dietand started exercising and lost 60 pounds in 5 months, and patrified to gain it back help!!!!

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

9/9/14 11:53 PM

why does rain make you feel that way

Bottom

keep climbing
Senior Supporter

9/10/14 5:57 AM

Maybe a light box would help (to imitate the sunlight). I use one in the fall/winter and I think it helps.

Bottom

feelingawful
Supporter

9/10/14 10:11 PM

Not sure why I feel that way, rain is very depressing to me. It just makes me very sad not sure why.

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

9/11/14 3:31 AM

Reminds me of the following story: (I copied it from a site I saw.)

Before she set off to Eretz Yisroel, Rebbetzin Menucha Rochel went to receive a blessing from her brother in law, the Rebbe Tzemach Tzedek. It was a cold and snowy winter, and the Rebbetzin told the Rebbe that she was afraid of catching cold and becoming ill, G-d forbid. The Rebbe brushed away her fears and remarked, "Nu, so what? Travel between the drops!"

The Rebbetzin took his words at face value, and set off on the tedious journey. She hired a wagon that took her and her family from Lubavitch to Shklov, and from there she hired another wagon and the family continued on their way. After letting them off in Shklov, the wagon driver returned to Lubavitch. He reported a wondrous occurrence that he witnessed while taking the Rebbetzin and her family to Shklov: it was raining very hard all the way, the roads turned thick with mud, so thick that travel was almost impossible. But when his wagon made its way on that road, it seemed as if the rains didn?t affect the roads, and the journey went smoothly.

Tradition tells that rains didn?t affect the Rebbetzin, not only on her way to the Holy Land, but throughout the years that she lived in Chevron. Raindrops never fell on her, only on her immediate surroundings. This was a well known fact in Chevron in those times.

Rebbetzin Menucha Rochel lived in Chevron for more than fifty years. She was involved in the Jewish life in Chevron, and her presence was a blessing and a strong positive influence on the city.

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

10/1/14 6:55 PM

I can relate. I do much better when it's sunny. Cloudy skies, even without rain, pull me down. A lightbox, or just lots of bright lights all over your home/workplace should help.

Bottom

MoMo
Senior Supporter

10/2/14 2:04 AM

I get down from sundown. That hour of the day where the sun is almost gone gets me down.

I once read that the stock market does worse on rainy days because people in general are slightly pessimistic then!

I'm not sure what tyke solution is though...

Bottom

toy123
Senior Supporter

10/2/14 12:40 PM

Hopefulmommy when is your book coming out?

-------------------------
Sometimes you need to run away just to see who will follow you.

Sometimes when I say "I'm okay", I want someone to look me in the eyes, hug me tight and say "I know you are not".

Just because I'm smiling doesn't mean I'm happy.

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

10/3/14 1:18 AM

That's what I want to know. It keeps dragging. But the editing is almost finished, and then there is proofreading and typesetting. I guess I'll find out how long that takes.

How are you doing, toy?

And Momo, how are you doing?

Bottom

MoMo
Senior Supporter

10/3/14 7:17 AM

Today, feeling worried about my future. Will I be able to heal?
One top psychologist that I've known for many years believes I need exposure therapy then I met with a top exposure therapist that just told me exposure won't help me!

I'm confused and afraid I'll never get better.

Bottom

keep climbing
Senior Supporter

10/3/14 10:41 AM

Momo, I believe that you will be able to heal.

Bottom

Shver
Supporter

10/3/14 2:43 PM

MoMo, I am sure everyone on this forum are confident that you will heal.
Sometimes when we are depressed we can mis-interpret things that are said.
It is important to have hope.
I will try to daven for you on Yom Kippur.

G'Mar Chasima Tova

Edited: 10/3/14 at 2:44 PM by Shver

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

10/3/14 5:37 PM

That's really frustrating, when you put your hope into something highly recommended by someone you trust and then somebody else tells you it won't help you. What kind of exposure? Can you get a third opinion?

I've given up on healing. That is, until mashiach comes. Until then, it's not about healing, or reaching any kind of goal, because none of it is in our hands. It's about living in the moment, and functioning to the best of our abilities. Which, I'm coming to believe, is not so bad.

Sorry if I'm not very positive. Your case might be different. I got a more specific diagnosis a few months ago, which is mood disorder on the bipolar spectrum, and the doctor clearly said that there is nothing I can about it. That is, I can't get rid of this condition. But I can manage it, in many ways. It's liberating, in a sense. I've spent so many years of my life trying to heal, to be "normal." I can let go of all that now. I don't have to work so hard. I just need to accept myself the way I am and live in the moment, dealing with whatever comes up in the moment, without worrying about the future.

I don't know if I'm making sense, but that's what I've been thinking about over Rosh Hashana. And I've been thinking about all of us here on frum support. IY"H I'll keep everyone in mind when I daven on Yom Kippur. Have an easy fast and gmar chasima tova to everyone!

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

10/4/14 10:45 PM

" But I can manage it...I've spent so many years of my life trying to heal, to be "normal."

I think that trying to manage, is normal for everyone.
It says in rabeinu bachya in breishis, that from the moment a baby is born, it starts to dry. So the process of dying starts immediately. Until the geulah, it's normal to not be 100%

Edited: 10/5/14 at 12:33 AM by gad

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General (Mental Health) < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.