Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: nightmares
Created On 3/18/06 10:16 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Debbi
Senior Supporter

3/18/06 10:16 PM

I suffer from nightmares.
I have had nightmares my whole life.
Even as a young child from age four or five I recall waking up terrified in the middle of the night.
The curious thing is that I have had dreams which repeat themselves. Perhaps the details vary, but the essence of the dream has remained the same for years.

I have had times in the last couple of years when I have slept for a few months without experiencing any bad dreams.
Lately though I have been having really horrible ones at least 4 or 5 times a week.
It is so disturbing.
I can sleep for ten hours and still wake up feeling lethargic and lacking energy.
Sometimes the effects of the dreams carry with me throughout the day, often seeming real, as though the nightmare actually occured.

Its really difficult to live with, and I was wondering whether anyone has any ideas about how to get rid of nightmares?

debbi

Bottom

silent
Supporter

3/19/06 12:41 AM

Hi Debi!

At times, I too suffer from nightmares. I have found that I avoid going to sleep at night in order to avoid the nightmares and nighttime memories. For no good reason, I end up going to sleep at 1, 2 or 3 in the morning, even when I know that my next day starts at 5:30 the next morning when my baby wakes up. No matter how much I plan to go to bed early each night, it doesn't happen. My body is avoiding the bed, the night, the fears, the memories, the pain, the quiet, the helplessness, the unknown, and not being in control.

I have found, though, that sometimes it helps to concentrate on a good thought, a good memory, a happy picture, or a holy thought, and fall asleep to that. I have found myself fall asleep with a smile or able to wake up without a startle or a sweat. Give it a try.

Let me know if it works.
Good night. (to us all)

Bottom

Debbi
Senior Supporter

3/19/06 12:35 PM

Hi Silent,

Sorry that you too suffer from nightmares.

You have enlightened me. I hadn't realised that my late nights are perhaps avoidance. Because I too can be ready for bed at a reasonable hour, and then find myself doing all kinds of unimportant things, such as giving myself a manicure, finding more laundry to put in the machine, going on - line, and then before I know it, the time is 1:00 or 2:00am!

So yes, I believe it must be some sort of procrastination, and not wanting to be in that state of fear upon waking up afterwards.

The truth is though, as I think about it more, just lying in bed and trying to fall asleep has a lot of connotations for me.
The implication that the bedroom, the bed, and its surroundings are unsafe.
My bedroom feels as though it is unsafe place to be.
I feel vulnerable and exposed while lying in my bed.
And if I am lucky to relax enough to fall asleep, I suppose my mind and its unconcious continues to feel the fear and the danger.
Hence the nightmares.
Sounds plausible.
I think.

Therefore I imagine Silent that the reason your deploy works is because you are training or kind of tricking your mind into believing that your bed is safe, and that you can fall asleep and wake up unharmed.

Sounds crazy.
But true.

Hope u had a good night last night.
I went to bed so late (3:00am) that I fell asleep pretty quickly, although even at that late hour I still delayed the actual getting into bed and switching off the light.
No nightmares thank goodness.

tc
debbi

Bottom

SaraSmith
Supporter

8/7/06 4:51 AM

I have terrible nightmares too. They are not recurring at all, but they come and go and always shock me. I never know what will provoke them. Sometimes I will read something and I am sure that I will have a nightmare that night, and I don't and then other times they seem to just come out of the blue. I find them very very debilitating!

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General (Mental Health) < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.