Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Do i need help?
Created On 1/9/05 8:44 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Vicki
Junior Supporter

1/9/05 8:44 PM

I am basically fine, but when something sad or bad comes up I totally lose it & I feel faint & I just have this need to run! I feel faint kind of often & I know that its in my head & nothing physical wrong with me. I also cant handle huge crowds or visiting someone in a hospital. If I talk to myself right then & there I can sometimes overcome it. Is this soemthing I need to get meds for? Or should i go see a therapist? anyone has this symptoms?

Bottom

rainbow
Supporter

1/9/05 10:09 PM
User is offline View users profile

I understand how you feel. I went through all of this a few years ago. Meds dont cure you . I like to compare it to tylenol. If you have
a headache,It just masks the symptoms so you can function. Same with meds. But it is not a solution! therapy helped me overcome my
uneasiness in a crowd. I also learned how to keep a stressfull situation from giving me a full attack.(out of control crying,and yes wanting to run) It is so interesting that you are dscribing it exactly as I would.

I got help. There is no need to suffer. Sure many people will tell you how bad meds are. But then again... when I have a headache I take
tylenol.Same here. Ask around find a dr. you are comfortable with ,I saw 3 dr.s till I found one that I felt comfortable with.1st dr. i went to listened to me for 5 min. and wrote aprescription.He didnt even review the side effects with me. To make avery long story short I now have a wonderful dr. who has changed my meds countless times due to side effects. And boruch hashem I am coping.

I wish you loads and loads of good luck. I t is not easy, But there IS a light at the end of the tunnel

Bottom

Vicki
Junior Supporter

1/9/05 10:29 PM

Thank u for replying! you say meds wont cure me but then you said that your dr changed your meds countless of times due to side affects. so are you on meds or no?

does this condition have a name ? is this called depression?? & I also want to know if I can have children while I am on meds?

Bottom

Vicki
Junior Supporter

1/9/05 10:32 PM

Sorry, I read your post too quickly before I replied. can I know a name of your dr?

Bottom

EK
Junior Supporter

1/11/05 7:43 PM

It sounds like you are experiencing anxiety/panic symptoms. Sometimes the problem is chemical (although there really is no way to prove it), and sometimes your symptoms are more psychological. Medication can be used to treat both, though they may not always work if the issue is psychological. If you want to try mediaction go for it, however from what you are describing you may be able to work things out with the right therapist. Some medications are safe to use while pregnant and you'll have to speak with a doctor about that.

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

1/11/05 8:02 PM

Hi,
Why don't you speak to your doctor about your symptoms. he or she might be able to advise you if you should see a psychologist and or psychiatrist. If they do, there's nothing to be embaressed about. You'd be in good company (me :-) )

Bottom

rainbow
Supporter

1/11/05 10:05 PM

I was on meds while pregnant, But had to switch to a different one right after my baby was born so I could breastfeed. I was also on 5 months bedrest.(don't ask how I survived it,Cause with 5 little kids needing a mommy,but B"H I managed) Bedrest surely aggravATED
MY deppression. Additionally my OB. treated me like some nebby woman. But I went for therapy and learned to take control of my life.
But with therapy you also need to find a therapist that you feel totally comfortable with. And additionally make sure she(or he) is not
from the old school that blames everything on your childhood,parents,environment,subconscios issues,etc. Those things may be factors, But dwelling on them wont make you better. You need to learn coping skills. Also meds make you calmer so you can actually learn the
best ways for YOU to overcome this.

My dr.is in Manhattan.PM me if yo want the name.

LOADS AND LOADS OF LUCK!!

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

1/12/05 12:28 AM

Sorry your familly doesn't understand you. When I started taking meds I hid it from my sibblings so I know what its like. Eventually they came around though.

Bottom

rainbow
Supporter

1/12/05 5:27 AM

My siblings also accepted the fact of my taking meds. But they still believe I should "just snap out of it" or "do excercize" or "you are to spoiled,taking the easy way out. And many more such veeerry helpful comments. But B"H My husband is very understanding. I also have one friend that I can talk to when I'm in a rut. Talking to my sisters about how I feel usually makes me even more depressed. But B"H
after a year of therapy, I don't take them to seriously, I know it is just from all the misinformation about mental illness-(like most people).

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

1/12/05 6:01 PM

I wish I could even tell my parents I'm depressed!!

Bottom

Draalynn
Junior Supporter

2/18/05 12:35 AM

I keep forgetting I have to write first, then press reply...da. Anyway, I think "Lucky" has some great suggestions, and perhaps the name of someone who could help. It sounds like you get panic attacks. I usually suggest that unless the person is really not able to cope, that they try a therapist and create a "relaxation regimen" both to preempt and cope with panic attacks. When it comes to panic and anxiety, it can be very empowering to be able to "take control" through relaxation techniques. However, very often medication is also required, and it is important not to feel ashamed or like a failure if this is the case. Hatzlacha!

Bottom

bubbles
Supporter

6/7/05 10:29 PM

Lucky,
I read with intetrest your comment about "old school therapists".
Could you explain more?
What happens if someone has suffered a trauma as a child, don't you think that the symptoms cannot be resolved until the cause has been worked through?

i ask because I have been in therapy for 5 years, just trying to heal from past traumas and live a normal life. As a mother of 6, it is easier said than done.
I am constantly questioning if I am on the right track. If I "need" to re- live the past in order to live in the present.
If you know of another way, please share it?
I would be eternally grateful. (and so would H+kids)

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

6/10/05 12:05 AM

Bubbles-
My first line treatment for PTSD is EMDR. You can view the website at emdr.com to learn more about the technique.
a lynn

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

6/12/05 10:52 AM

How are you doing Bubbles?

Bottom

bubbles
Supporter

6/15/05 1:16 AM

Thank u LFH for asking.

had a pleasant yomtov.

and you?
tc
B.
(ps check the trauma forum, i wrote to u there)

Bottom

az
Supporter

4/27/06 2:28 AM

Bubbles, I read your posts with interest. I have also been in therapy a long time, 7 years, to heal past trauma and the resulting challenges (self-hatred, persistent anger, feeling controlled by others/children, low self esteem, and more) I sometimes get impatient as another year and another year and another go by and I still haven't repaired my relationship with the abuser,can't look the abuser in the face, am anxious prior to family gatherings,etc. By the way, abuser has been good to me for the past few -many years. Interestingly, I've noticed a shift in my nightmares. Firstly, they're less frequent. Second, although I still have some terrifying nightmares, in other dreams I am able to stop the abuse. Still, I feel like therapy is "taking too long". Many times in therapy I've had the experience of reliving the emotional experience and it has brought about release and relief. Other emotional experiences remain suppressed and from time to time I feel strong enough to handle one (knowing I will not be flooded) but more often issues of transference/resistance keep me in a stuck position. On the one hand I want to rush the process, I'm impatient with myself for still being immature, for still being passive, for still having anger issues with people in my life. On the other hand, my therapist says it's a slow process, and at my own pace.
Any support and sharing of your similar experiences will be most appreciated!
Kol Tuv,
az

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

4/30/06 2:10 AM

AZ-
You might want to explore the option of trying emdr (eye-movement desensitization and reprocessing) treatment for your traumatic experiences. Let me know what happens- they have a website- emdr.com.
a lynn

Bottom

az
Supporter

4/30/06 2:52 PM

Dr. Lynn and other members,

I got onto the emdr website, got some info, and am considering giving emdr a try. Has anyone ever done emdr and had success? In fact, I'm interested to hear from anyone who's tried it, whether positive or negative results. Any recommendations for an experienced and competent clinician in NY (NYC or surrounding neighborhoods) with a high success rate?
Please share your experiences so that I can learn from yours.
Thanks to you all,
az

Bottom

silent
Supporter

4/30/06 5:58 PM

Hi Az,

I have a little bit of experience with emdr. First of all, its very important to use someone who really has experience with emdr (and like other therapy, a good relationship with you.) I found emdr to be very very strong. It is very triggering and can be very disruptive if it is not done within the proper framework.

Sometimes when living with past trauma, I feel like I am living two lives: the ripped up life inside of me, and the seemingly normal life outside of myself. I find it very frustrating to be living this fake life and I look for and welcome opportunities to get in touch with my real life - my inside life. From my experience with emdr it addresses this issue, as with emdr just a small window is needed to open the flood gates of memories and emotions. The important part, though, is the processing. In my experience with emdr, unfortunately, it opened up the gates to the inside life, but the processing was missing.

I've discussed emdr with a variety of therapists and the majority consensus seems to be that the result is not necessarily much different or stronger than other types of therapy such as psychothertapy or "talk therapy". It really seems to depend mainly on the skill of the pdoc and the effort of the patient. Apparently no therapy can guarantee that down the line there will not be anything that will trigger the resurgence of experiences/emotions... Hopefully, though, the emdr or other therapy will be successful at least at dulling it all for when there is a trigger.

I am also interested to hear what others think and know about this.

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

5/5/06 12:05 AM

My experience with emdr is that when it works, it is like magic! People who have been suffering with traumatic memories feel relief very soon, and their perspective of what happened often changes to a more healthy one. Among the people who have not responded to the technique, I have not seen anyone's symptoms get worse (B"H). Furthermore, since trauma often contains some non-verbal components, I think that talk therapy (and meds) are both limited in curing the problem. When people are traumatized there is often a "disconnect" btwn what people know to be true intellectually and what people FEEL to be true emotionally. The goal of the treatment is to reintegrate these two realities. T\I know this sounds like a paid advertisement for emdr, I just hate to see people suffer for years when they don't have to.
A Lynn

Bottom

az
Supporter

5/5/06 12:16 AM

Dr. Lynn,

Thanks for your input on emdr. I have some questions:

1. Approx. what is the time frame for emdr treatment? Is it a short term thing, or as long term as traditional psychotherapy?
In the range of a few weeks, months, or years?

2. Can I continue to see my current shrink while seeing someone else for the emdr thing? Or are the two mutually exclusive?

3. Can you make a referral to a top-notch emdr practitioner? NY area

4. Has anyone tried emdr? Would you be so kind and share your experiences so that we can gain from each others? Would you
recommend the person who treated you? What's his/her name?

Thanks,
az

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

5/24/06 6:02 AM

AZ
1) You should start to see results in the first few sessions, if not the first one.
2) Yes.
3) I will look into it.
a lynn

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

5/24/06 6:07 AM

AZ-
I sent you a private message with a name. many people use emdr as an adjunctive therapy and continue with their "regular" therapists.
a lynn

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General (Mental Health) < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.