Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: CHESED AS THERAPY
Created On 12/10/06 5:46 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

ernie55B
Senior Supporter

12/10/06 5:46 PM

Hi Guys!

In the spirit of practicing what I preach, namely, that doing chesed for others is the best therapy for depression, I have decided that the absolute best thing in the world that I can do for my own depression is to become a kidney donor.
I have no doubt that if I qualify, this will do more to raise my spirits than all the meds. I ever took.
I spoke to the organization in BP that arranges this, and I was told that my high blood pressure does not necessarily disqualify me.
In fact, he said being that I have a rare blood type, they could really use one like mine now.
I plan on speaking to my doctor tomorrow to see if I can be cleared for this. I will be extremely disappointed if he says no.
When else will I have such a great opportunity to save a fellow Jew's life?
I would finally be able to feel that I did something important in life.

Ernie

Bottom

Holding on
Senior Supporter

12/10/06 11:40 PM

You know what they say, whoever saves one Jewish life...

Edited: 12/11/06 at 10:40 PM by Holding on

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

12/12/06 11:29 PM

You are a brave soul.
a lynn

Bottom

Debbi
Senior Supporter

12/13/06 8:57 AM

Ernie,
I have many thoughts on your announcement. jst dont have time right now to articulate clearly. will be back tho.
debbi.

Bottom

ernie55B
Senior Supporter

12/14/06 2:00 PM

Debbi,

I am curious to know what your thoughts are on this.
Here's what's happened so far.

My Rav and my brother who is a Rav both said if I can get medical clearance, it would be a fantastic thing.
My pdoc. asked if I'm nuts- he said I have too many medical issues to get clearance.
My parents think it's a bad idea for me.
I am still waiting for my internist to return my call.

Dr. Lynn, I don't consider myself brave. I just feel it would be the most wonderful thing I could ever do.

Ernie

Bottom

ernie55B
Senior Supporter

12/14/06 8:26 PM

Okay, just got a pretty encouraging answer from my internist. I cannot be a donor now because I don't weigh enough. But if I were to gain sufficient weight
then maybe yes.
Well, I am going to work hard to gain some weight!

Bottom

ernie55B
Senior Supporter

12/16/06 8:06 PM

Got bad news today. Saw internist who gave it some more thought and said I need to keep both of my kidneys because of my hypertension.
I am really disappointed.
Honestly, I don't believe HKB"H would make my health worse if I helped save someone else's life.
But it is not my call.

Guess, I will have to figure out some other type of chesed I can do.

Bottom

Belly
Supporter

12/17/06 11:13 AM

Hi Ernie
Don"t give up trying to make Chesed. Sometimes the next opportunity is right in front of us.
The other day I helped an old man carry his bags. Believe me he was so happy! and his happyness helped me!
Col Hakavod for searching this way of getting out of depression!
Hanuka Sameach
Belly

Bottom

ernie55B
Senior Supporter

12/17/06 8:41 PM

Hi Belly!

Thanks. I will try to find something else. Hope you are well.

Chag Urim Samayach to you!

Ernie

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General (Mental Health) < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.