Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: therapy at a training institute
Created On 3/6/07 12:24 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

qwerty
Supporter

3/6/07 12:24 AM

Dr. Lynn,
Do you have any thoughts on seeking psychotherapy treatment from a training institute?
My thinking is that it would be financially more feasible than seeing someone in private practice.
The clinic in my neighborhood does not staff any psychologists, only social workers. And I would like to work with someone who has extensive training in clinical psychology. A private therapist is too costly for me. A few years ago I saw an excellent therapist, I went from a borderline to a 'recovered' borderline, thank G-d. We did mostly psychodynamic work; however, I am now unable to see him because he relocated to overseas.
It is my understanding that one of the factors contributing to the success of our work was the quality of his training,
So, I'm entertaining the possibility of treatment at a training institute. I don't know exactly how it works, in terms of admission for treatment, etc. Too, I wonder whether my thought about treatment at a training institute is off the mark, or am I on the right track....and if it isn't, there are so many to choose from, where would I begin? (I'm in NY and within driving distance of Manhattan)
Thank you very much in advance!

Edited: 3/13/07 at 10:25 PM by qwerty

Bottom

qwerty
Supporter

3/21/07 8:52 PM

Does Dr. Lynn still visit this site? I haven't seen him in a while....

Bottom

Psych Doc
Junior Supporter

4/18/07 10:46 PM

I am Dr. Lynn but am using a different screen name to be able to reply to you. Training institutes are an excellent way to get cost effective treatment. I would recommend post-doctoral programs such as Ackerman or White Institute, etc., so that you will get a more experienced clinician.
a lynn

Bottom

qwerty
Supporter

4/19/07 9:34 PM

Welcome back, PsychDoc! First off, I'm glad you're back, I missed your wise input! Second, I think your new sn is more appropriate....boundary-wise... Third, in receiving treatment at a training institute would that mean I get to see someone for a year and then switch to another therapist? I mean, how long does one remain in training at the same place?

Bottom

Dr. Lynn
Supporter

5/3/07 11:55 PM
User is offline View users profile

Sorry to keep changing names. It depends on the Institute and how rapidly they are going through the program (ie- at a place like White, there is a full-time track and a part-time track). Most people are there for at least a couple of years. And, some patients stay with their therapists after they graduate.
a lynn

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Ask Dr. Lynn < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.