Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Blushing-anxiety
Created On 1/22/08 9:32 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

uaa
Junior Supporter

1/22/08 9:32 PM

Hi, I would like to know what I can do if I blush whenever I think about blushing? Do you think it is anxiety? The funny thing is I blushed and then when I realized I blushed too often I started feeling anxious very often because I was nervous I would blush. Do you know someone I can see? Thank you.

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

1/23/08 5:43 PM

I read that one cure is to tell yourself that you are going to blush tremendously, (world's record). (By concentrating on this thought, you don't think about being nervous that you might blush, and you thus relieve that anxiety, which in itself could be a cause for the blushing.)

Hope it works for you.

Bottom

uaa
Junior Supporter

1/24/08 12:29 AM

Thank you for responding- I dont understand because if you tell yourself you will blush tremendously than you probally will.

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

1/24/08 10:40 PM

I don't understand it exactly, and I don't know if it will always work, and it's best to ask a therapist for advice. But if you want, you can try it, and it may work.

I read about this in Viktor Frankl's book "Man's search for meaning."
If someone is worried about something like sweating, then sometimes just worrying about sweating can make him anxious, and sweat. By reversing the thought, and thinking about sweating as much as possible, this replaces the anxious thoughts. And if he has no anxious thoughts, then it can prevent sweating.

Let me know if you want more explanation.

Have a good Shabbos. Hope to hear good news.

Bottom

uaa
Junior Supporter

1/25/08 1:18 AM

so you want me to think about blushing 24/7 so when that it will be a normal though process and no blushing will happen because I am immune to it? Like how often all the time? THANK YOU

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

1/25/08 12:03 PM

Not 24/7

In the case of sweating, where the person was afraid that when he would need to shake hands with people he would sweat, he was advised that, just before he was about to meet people, he should think the opposite (that he was going to sweat tons on purpose).

So perhaps here too, that just before you are about to meet people, where you would normally worry about blushing, to try to have the opposite thoughts, and to tell yourself that you will blush tremendously.

Hope it helps. Have a good Shabbos.

Bottom

uaa
Junior Supporter

1/28/08 8:49 PM

ok it does not hurt to try. Thank you

Bottom

frumsw
Senior Supporter

1/30/08 3:09 PM

Heard a case by a psychologist treating a guy with a compulsive fear that he would have a toileting accident in the car. He told him to imagine doing it in his best suit, even to the point of sitting on a towel. Once he did that, possibly with help from his therapist, he was cured. Other treatments of OCD also are about actually experiencing the worst fear and seeing that nothing happened.

-------------------------
frumsw

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Ask Dr. Lynn < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.