Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: bp or depression
Created On 2/23/05 11:30 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

motcha
Supporter

2/23/05 11:30 PM

Hi,
I need to pour my heart out to you. I had depression since being a kid. Ten years ago it was time to date the pressure was terrible. I took my first prescribed Prozak for like 5 days and abruptly stopped due to the shame. Then I had a manic episode. I went back into therapy, meds,... and never had a full blown manic episode again. After going through a few thgerapists and psychiatrists I found a great psychologist and a great psychiatrist. He put me on Trileptal in adition to my old clonazapam, and buspar, and switched me from Paxil to Celexa. The Trileptal really made the difference. I'm not depressed any more. I am getting my ba and student teaching. Everythings good. A little minor blips of depression, nothing serious.
My question is, am I bipolar? Because of the episode, I was labelled bipolar. Now we are wondering if it was medically induced which according to the latest DSM doesn't count. But a psycologists told me over the years I was hypomanic and once told me that I was rapid cycling. remember, she was a psychologists not psychiatrists. I have serious doubts regarding her profesional ability. She didn't help me.
The psychiatrist I am seeing now for 3 years says he has never seen any bipolar but he can't rule it out clearly as he wasn't there ten years ago. He's like 90% depression 10% bp if he had to bet. What do I tell girls on dates? Depression, or slight chance of bipolar. He says I could see a certain bp moomcha in Philly if I want a more definitive answer. My question has no bearing on treatment. For treatment I just keep taking my meds. My question is what is the correct thing to say on dates.
I hope you understand me.
Thanks.

Bottom

Draalynn
Junior Supporter

2/23/05 11:35 PM

If I were you, I would say I was depressed rather than bipolar.

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

2/24/05 12:24 AM

Thank you for replying.
I am curious. You are a psychologist?
I know my worry is mishigas. Its like I am worried I will spend 40 years feeling guilty for decieving my wife. I am going to go to a rov and ask him.
I am just curious why you say depression over bp.
I hope you don't look down at me for being so obsessive about this.

Bottom

Draalynn
Junior Supporter

2/24/05 12:47 AM

Yes, a psychologist. I don't look down at you at all. In fact, I think it's an important question. My preference is depression b/c it is a more benign diagnosis. Bipolar disorder is more associated with being "crazy", and it is known to be highly correlated with genetics, more treatment resistant and more obscure (there are so many types of bipolar, for example), all of which feels more daunting to the layperson and potential mate.

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

2/24/05 11:37 AM

I know. But is it fair to withhold the full picture?

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

2/25/05 6:25 AM

From what you have said in other posts (i.e.- your treating clinicians think you most likely do not have bipolar), then it does not seem to be misleading to tell people you have depression.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Ask Dr. Lynn < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.