Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Who am i?
Created On 2/6/10 10:24 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

2/6/10 10:24 PM
User is offline View users profile

this has been bothering me for a wihle- Who am i? am i the depressed side of me whos quiet and cant wait to die? or the hyperactive fun loving girl, the class clown, life of the party" am i in between? are my meds making me different person? am i me + my prozac and wellbutrin or are they just helping me be me? but what if deppression is me?? when people say to "just be myself" who am i supposed to be- thers two of me? if i had it my way id be depressed , but thats not what anyone means, they still eexpect me to put up a show.
So who exactly am i?

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

2/6/10 10:49 PM

sorry- i ment to post it in Dr. Price- sorry, i dont know how to delete it
(just cuz its about meds - nothing personal)

Edited: 2/6/10 at 10:49 PM by channafofanna

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

2/11/10 5:50 PM

I don't think your question s just about meds, and would be happy to continue the discussion, if you like. You can also forward Dr. Price's response if you like. Or you can keep it btwn you and him, if you like.
a lynn

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

2/11/10 7:56 PM

This was Dr. Prices answer.
Great questions. You can be all these things at different times, in different situations, in different roles and embrace the full range of all you are, who you are and who who could be. Purim is coming. Time to take off the mask you wear everyday for society and show your true colors through a costume, still in a socially acceptable way. Who am I? I am a father, brother, son, husband, friend, doctor, rabbi, singer, professor, student, conformist, rebel, and on and on. Who is the real me? All of them. It can be fun to be mysterious, elusive. A few cognitive therapy sessions could help you clarify your own multifaceted personality.

Unless you are having a side effect, such as getting manic off of antidepressants, effective medications simply help you feel more like your best, more often. It is still "you."

Certain societal demands require us to constrain our full potential to fulfil a particular role such as at school and at work. But perhaps at home or with friends or certainly in the therapist's office is the chance to just let it all hang out and explore suppressed aspects of your personality and how to give them expression.

I hope this has been helpful to you.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Its really good, no? but can we please continue the discussion.

Bottom

frumsw
Senior Supporter

2/11/10 11:03 PM

What a great question. Dr. Price answers it so beautifully. I find that as a person with a tendency and history of depression, although it's "me", it's the "me" when I'm not thinking straight. But I'm also the "me" when I'm acting silly, serious, angry, happy, irrational, totally logical, and any other possible emotion. We all have different parts of ourselves, some of them operate from an unhealthy place but it's "my" unhealthy place and that's what makes me different from anybody else. We all have our unhealthy places because nobody is perfect but it's really nice now to visit those places occassionally as opposed to living there permenantly.

-------------------------
frumsw

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

2/16/10 10:02 PM

but who do i be when i am told to "just be myself"?

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

2/17/10 2:27 PM

For me, it starts with being authentic in the moment, to the degree that you feel comfortable with the place, people or situation.
a lynn

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

2/25/10 5:38 PM

what does that mean?

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

2/26/10 3:46 PM

and how do i figure out who i really am?

Bottom

frumsw
Senior Supporter

3/3/10 11:43 PM

I think it means saying what I really feel at the moment without trying to impress or imitate somebody else. How do you figure out who you are?

frumsw

Bottom

frumsw
Senior Supporter

3/4/10 10:07 PM

Sorry, I got interrupted and couldn't finish yesterday.
You get to know who you are as you get older-every teenager is struggling to figure out who they are and some people who need extra help with that find therapy to be very effective for "finding yourself".

frumsw

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

3/12/10 2:49 PM

well than, i guess its a good thing im locked in the room with a doc. 45 min a week no? but if i talked to her it would probably help more- but im not doing that

Bottom

frumsw
Senior Supporter

3/15/10 8:57 PM

yeah, I know the feeling...from the other chair
sometimes it feels safer to write or draw or even do some interesting thing like sand tray therapy.

frumsw

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

3/18/10 9:44 PM

well i dont talk to her so make sure you tell her!!! lol
do you ever not like one of your clients?

Bottom

frumsw
Senior Supporter

3/20/10 11:47 PM

It happens sometimes. Not often. I generally feel very close to and like my clients and I find this is mutual. We can really bond if they want to. My most difficult ones are parents who want me to "fix" their kids but they don't want to change the way they act towards them or get them tutoring or speech therapy. It really hurts. It happens very much because I work for agencies and the parents don't pay anything so they aren't invested. If they would come to me privately it would be people who are more committed and we could accomplish more. Kids who don't talk are understandibly hard to help but I wouldn't dislike them for that.

frumsw

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

3/21/10 1:04 PM

so what do you do if you dont like them?
also, whats sand tray therapy?

Bottom

frumsw
Senior Supporter

3/21/10 2:43 PM

If I don't like them I try to figure out why and if it's just personality or mannerisms I just put it aside and continue working with them. If it's my problem...they remind me of somebody who hurt me or make me feel insecure...I take care of it with my own supervision/therapy. Some people I'm going to like better than others 'cuz that's life and it's too bad on me and we could really work great together even if I wouldn't choose them to be a friend or next door neighbor.
Sand tray is a very interesting and fun modality during which you choose from a variety objects and arrange them in a sand table. You do it with somebody who's an experienced therapist and it can be very healing and great for people (and children) who find it difficult to talk/trust.

frumsw

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

3/26/10 9:16 AM

Chana,
Frumsw explained it better than me. "Finding yourself" is a process, and almost inevitably, especially at the beginning, many people don't feel like there is one coherent self, but rather several selves, depending on the company and circumstances. I think it is good to have exercises/strategies like journal writing and therapy to find a consistent self or voice.
a lynn

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

3/26/10 10:07 AM

guess its a good thing im doing both now!!! lol !!

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

3/26/10 10:20 AM

great! it takes a lot of guts to listen for the "small voice inside".
a lynn

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Ask Dr. Lynn < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.