Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: How to get meds for depression
Created On 4/10/05 5:12 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

bitlate
Junior Supporter

4/10/05 5:12 PM

I'm pretty sure that my condition can be diagnosed as depression, although I haven't been to a psychiatrist yet. For years I told people 'I'm just a serious person', but I know it's much more than that, and if I don't get concrete help soon I won't be going too far in life. I already forfeited some good chances for no reason at all, and I'm in my 20's.

My main issue now is 1. How to see a doctor 2. How to pay for medication.

I was broke for some time and now started working again, but while I don't qualify for Medicaid, I still can't afford health insurance. I haven't been to a doctor in a couple of years- any kind of doctor, though my priority now is getting help for depression.

Is there any way around the financial issue? I have enough of a hard time trying to pay rent and eat normally.

Thanks M. for recommending this site, and thanks in advance for the replies.

Edited: 4/10/05 at 5:13 PM by bitlate

Bottom

Draalynn
Junior Supporter

4/11/05 1:30 AM

My recommendation is 1) make sure you do not qualify form a form of medicaid insurance- there are people who do not receive public assistance, but do receive a form of medicaid health insurance. 2) See if you can obtain health insurance through your new job. If these options are not possible, 3) perhaps you can go to your primary medical doctor, and see if they will write you a prescription you could fill at a public hospital. Also, often your primary doctor has free samples of medication they can recommend and give to you. #3 is really a last resort; it is important as soon as possible to see a psychiatrist and/or therapist to assess and treat depression. Hatzlacha and refuah shelayma!
A Lynn

Bottom

bitlate
Junior Supporter

4/11/05 7:14 AM

Thanks for your reply. I think I mentioned though that I do NOT have a primary doctor, and no health insurance through work.

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

4/12/05 11:02 PM

Have you tried going to a public hospital to register for medicaid medical insurance and a prescription?
A Lynn

Bottom

bitlate
Junior Supporter

8/7/05 1:33 PM

Have you tried going to a public hospital to register for medicaid medical insurance and a prescription?
A Lynn

How is that done? I have a free day coming up and would love to try that. Which hospital in NYC would be my best bet?

I've mentioned that I haven't seen a doctor in years. I also don't know how hospitals work. How do I get someone to prescribe meds?

It seems like most people on this site alre already getting some kind of help. What I need is a step by step how to.
I'm on my own, do people understand that?

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

8/10/05 12:12 AM

I know that at least in the past, people used to go to the ER and request medication at the public hospitals such as Jacobi in the Bronx, or Queens Hospital on Union Turnpike. I don't know if that still works. You may be eligible for public health insurance (Medicaid) even though you work- you can start with Healthfirst, a type of medicaid insurance. The number for UBA, which manages Healthfirst for the Montefiore catchment area is 800-401-4822. If you do not live in the Bronx, call UBA and ask them to give you the healthfirst number, call Healthfirst, and see if you qualify.
I hope this helps. If not, write your questions to me directly.
a lynn

Bottom

frumsw
Senior Supporter

2/9/06 3:40 PM

The problem is that hospital emergency rooms also charge money -a lot more than a doctor would and would any of those insurances cover medication? Incidentally, hospital pharmacies charge a lot more than a regular one so if you are paying cash, avoid them.

-------------------------
frumsw

Bottom

molly P.
Supporter

6/13/06 10:38 PM

The Boro Park Jewish Community Council Multi Service Center located at 4608 13th Ave. Brooklyn NY 11219 can help you find free or low cost insurance. They will help you choose the right one. It would be best to visit them at their center at office hours. They can be reached at 718-972-6600. Please let me know if they were able to help you!

Bottom

tulip
Supporter

6/13/06 11:55 PM

In many communities such as those in New York you may be able to get financial help from the local Bikur Cholim societies. They can help you cover the cost of at least a first appointment, possibly a second, possibly some medication. A list of Bikur Cholims is listed in the Jewish Business Directory, probably also in the Consumer Advisor, both phone books being heavily distributed in Boro Park, Williamsburg, Flatbush, Monsey, Sea Gate, and more. If you need more details, post again.
Hatzlacha!

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Ask Dr. Lynn < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.