Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Age of posters
Created On 4/14/11 6:45 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

yanky
Supporter

4/14/11 6:45 PM

Hello Dr. Lynn,

It seems that most of the posters here are way younger than I am. Two questions. Why do you think there are so many more youngsters who post about mental health issues than "older" people? (Forget the computer literate piece of it). And second, I feel a little weird interacting with people so much younger than me (though it is nonetheless helpful). Is there any reason for me to feel this way?

As always, thank you for putting your time and effort into this site.

Chag Kasher V'sameach!

Yanky

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

4/15/11 4:36 PM
User is offline View users profile

Geeeeee, wondering if I'm one of those "youngsters" you are talking about....i'm in the 40's range even if I don't always sound it. I sometimes feel more protective of the "younger" crowd, but for the most part I don't think we have many teens which means maturity-wise, their brain is there (or not. ) I just try to remmeber that even the younger generations can have words of wisdom (or the spazzes like me. )

-------------------------

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

yanky
Supporter

4/21/11 6:47 PM

Well, I'm glad you shared that with me, Munkster. I really DO feel better now. And btw, I was not disparaging anything the "youngsters" had to say. Mi'kol milamdai hiskalti.....

Enjoy the rest of Yom Tov!

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

4/27/11 1:20 PM

Also, isnt it a modern idea to "come out and embrace your issues"?
I actualy always felt akward that i was so young and imature compared to everyone else....
Plus, depression and stuff make kids matrue a lot faster, just beacuse we deal with teen things and "life and death desciisons" (should i kill myself now or later) simotaniously, while im not saying im mature, as a 17 year old, i can honsetly say, in some ways i am much more mature than my classsmates. Noy that i think im really mature, or even grown up enough, but age isnt everything. Come on, is a 13 year old who cuts daily, and dreams of suicide really compareable to one who is trying to get into the same high school as her friends. its hard, im not denying that, but are they equal?
Scincerley,
A 17 year old with the maturity of an 18 year old (and aparently with an ego the size of the sun)
PS- in no way was i trying to be antagonistic or anything, i was just stating my oppinion that age isnt exactly relevant, and now ill stop interuting and butting in where im not wanted and let the person who the question was asked of get a chance to speak... Im sure Dr. Lynn has something a little more mature and intrusive than i did!!!!!

Bottom

yanky
Supporter

4/27/11 3:52 PM

Channa-

Your thoughts are as mature and informative to me as anyone else's here. Thank you for being part of this forum!

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

4/27/11 7:52 PM

Really? I dont think other peoples posts are that bad!!!!!lol
but yeah, i do see where your coming from....

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

5/2/11 3:33 PM

I like having a variety of people including people of different generations all in dialogue with each other. In general, I think younger people are born with a mouse in their hands, which is why this forum may be drawing younger people. But then again, as Munk pointed out, you may be making a false assmupttion.
a lynn

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

5/4/11 9:33 AM

OOOOOOOOO!!!! I got a nickname...Munk .

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

frumsw
Senior Supporter

5/5/11 3:31 PM

Channafofanna, I agree with you. Teenagers struggling with these issues think about topics that other kids don't and it gives a certain depth that your average teenager doesn't have.
I'm in my low 40s if anybody is interested.

frumsw

Bottom

yanky
Supporter

5/5/11 10:49 PM

Frumsw-

YOU, I did not mistake for a teenager
That doesn't mean I thought you were OLD, btw.
You make a good point about what teens bring to the table here.

Thank You!

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Ask Dr. Lynn < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.