Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: re: psychosis in schizophrenia forum
Created On 9/4/05 10:18 AM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

Sarah
Supporter

9/4/05 10:18 AM

Dear Dr. Lynn,

It is now 3 1/2 months since my daughter became ill and this is her last week in Day Hospital. It is to be followed up by 2 afternoon visits for 3 weeks and then a Rehab. program in the hospital in the mornings for up to 6 months.

My daughter is on 25 mg zyprexa, 112.5 mg effexor, procyclidine and propanolol for 2 types of hand tremors and for her gastritis she is on 40 mg pariet a day and digesta as a digestive aid.

My concern is that my daughter acts like a zombie, is very depressed and anxious that the Day Hospital is ending and that she will have too much spare time on her hands and her trichotillomania (hair pulling of eyebrows in her case) came back full-blast and she is biting her nails.

I asked the psychiatrist to lower the zyprexa to 20 mg as I thought she was doing much better in the hospital on that dosage (she spoke more and was happier) although in the day hospital she was on 25 mg and to raise the amount of effexor as this could help control the trichotillomania and anxiety. The psychiatrist did not agree with me saying that my daughter was going through a transition and that he did not want to tamper with her medication until she was settled in rehab which would be in 5 weeks time. He did not agree with me that the zyprexa was causing the zombie effect on my daughter and said that is the effect of schizophrenia. Also he believes the kemedrin is making her drowsy so that she can't get up in the mornings until 11 a.m. although I wake her up at 8 a.m. to take her meds and then she goes back to sleep.

My daughter does not want to do any exercises as I suggested to her and she has not even been taught how to breathe deeply. The day hospital consisted of doing occupational therapy only. My daughter did not really participate in the discussion groups.

In the rehab program there is a mixed exercise group, a non-kosher cooking class, a work-skills class and a social skills class; the last two are compulsory and I would like my daughter to take the first two as well. What is your opinion on the first two classes being that they are mixed and that the cooking class may use non-kosher ingredients or do I have to ask a Rav for a p'sak?

Also my daughter was not allowed to fast on Tisha B'Av. What do you think will be the case for Yom Kippur?

By answering my questions, you will really set my mind at ease.

Thank you,

Sarah

-------------------------
Daven to Hashem - He always listens to you!

Edited: 9/4/05 at 10:21 AM by Sarah

Bottom

Sarah
Supporter

9/9/05 2:56 PM

Dear Dr. Lynn,

The questions re non-kosher cooking class and mixed exercise group were posed to a Rav and the answers were that for the cooking class my daughter could participate but can not taste any of the cooked or baked products.

For the mixed exercise group which would help my daughter both physically and mentally, she may not touch any man.

I arranged for my daughter to go swimming in the near future.

I still would like to hear from you regarding the rest of my first email.

Thanks

Sarah

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

9/27/05 11:09 PM

Sarah
It has been a few weeks since you have written, and I do not know if she is still on 25mg of Zyprexa, which sounds high to me. I am glad you spoke to a rav regarding the classes. Does the day program "feed into" a continuing day treatment program, which is the next level of outpatient care? Do you have an outside psychiatrist? It is often difficult to distinguish btwn the "negative" symptoms of schizophrenia and side effects of anti-psychotic meds. I think it often takes time to find the right dosage of the right medicine, and one has to be patient and open-minded. As you have said, exercise, structured daily activities and socialization are all essential components of treatment.
a lynn

Bottom

Sarah
Supporter

10/27/05 8:11 PM

Hi Dr. Lynn,

I'm sorry I did not see your post. It is now 7 months since my daughter became ill. Boruch Hashem she is doing much better. Of course there is still a long way to go.

My daughter is in the rehab program which is on Mon. Tues. and Wed. mornings. With the Yomim Tovim she has not been attending. I hope she will be able to get up and continue to attend these sessions although so far she does not enjoy them as they seem to be job-related i.e. putting papers in order. So far she is not in the cooking group or exercise group. The hospital does not want to put too much on her at once although I think it would help her.

She is at the point where she feels that life does not have much to offer. She plays music and does knitting. She also writes poetry and started writing in her diary. I think we have to go through her options again.

My daughter is not seeing a psychologist now. Indeed she still takes 25 mg of zyprexa and the voices are still present when it comes to the late afternoons/evenings but she says that she can give them her attention or tune them out. I read that the toxic dose for zyprexa starts at 15 mg. What effects does that have on the consumer?

Kol Tuv

Sarah

Edited: 10/30/05 at 9:35 AM by Sarah

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

11/19/05 11:38 PM

Sarah-
Zyprexa is a relatively new medication, so I think there is probably little (if any) research on the long-term effects. However, I think a person has to weigh the short-term benefits against the potential long-term detriments. I find that external structure and social activities are very important in one's recovery.
A Lynn

Bottom

Sarah
Supporter

11/20/05 10:12 AM

Dear Dr. Lynn

My daughter has not been able to get up in the mornings until about 11 a.m. and most of the day is spent sleeping. This is very distressing to me. She has become very stubborn and does not want to listen to reason.

Now she has a psychiatrist whom I requested. The psychiatrist is thinking of switching meds as my daughter still hears voices. I want to start my daughter on orthomolecular therapy. At the same time she takes her psych meds and only once orthomolecular starts working can one think of reducing the psych meds. (6 months to a year).

My daughter complains that she has too much time on her hands. I work full-time and right now she goes to a cooking class once a week in the hospital because she couldn't get up in the mornings 3 times a week for workskills rehab. She has a music teacher come to the house once a week for an hour and my daughter goes swimming once a week. She has started reading again - even though her eyesight is affected by the kemedrin she is taking for the side effects of the psych med.

I would like her to learn stress reduction therapy and lifeskills. Is there anything I have overlooked?

Thanks

Sarah

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

11/20/05 11:50 PM

It seems to me that you are doing everything right. This is a very debilitating illness not only for your dtr but for you as well. Did you get involved with a support grp/ therapy? I think the important thing is not to give up, and to try to align yourself with the healthy part of your dtr that knows she has to work hard against the illness and side effects of the meds to get better again. I am not personally familiar with the other therapy you mentioned.
A Lynn

Bottom

Sarah
Supporter

11/21/05 10:46 PM

Dear Dr. Lynn

Thank you for your encouragement! I am taking the 2nd session of a psycho educational group in the hospital once a week for 4 weeks and met another frum couple there. Actually after the first session I was feeling very drained since it brought up all the bottled up feelings that I had forgotten about. It is already 7 months since my daughter became ill and although my daughter does take her medication regularly, she does not think she is sick. What can I do or tell her to make her realize that she "is" sick so that she can work on getting herself better - not just me being the one to look for things that help her condition.

She liked psych therapy "games" that the hospital signed up for, so my daughter took out one month's membership to help her cognitively as she enjoys playing these games on-line and then she goes onto the next level.

The orthomolecular treatment is supposed to take at least 6 mths to a year and is much better to work with first episode psychosis patients. Apparently the sooner one starts treatment the better the outcome and we are to start iy"H next week. I will inform you when we start getting results iy"H.

My daughter is extremely stubborn. I wanted to help her tidy up her closet yesterday and she refused to do it or let me help. She says she knows where everything is. She won't brush her hair and I have to tell her that I am not going out if she doesn't let me fix her hair somewhat.

When she was first sick, she did not even have an opinion on anything and now the stubborness is not founded on any basis. She thinks that I am the difficult one and I should leave her alone.

What do you suggest?

Sarah

Edited: 11/21/05 at 10:48 PM by Sarah

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

11/23/05 10:13 PM

Sarah-
I try to differentiate between the person and the illness. Rather than say "you are sick", I try to say "you are suffering from an illness". That way, you can align yourself with the healthy (real) her. It is not too different from taking the theological position that we ARE souls that are clothed in bodies. We often forget that we are souls, and unfortunately identify ourselves with our bodies. Of course, we do not deny that the body is part of us, but only the tip of the iceberg. With your dtr, schizophrenia is the clothing or the body, which is eclipsing the real her. I hope this analogy helps and I did not confuse you further.

For many of us, it is difficult to see ourselves clearly. One of the important roles of our spouses, family members and friends is to help us see ourselves more clearly. What makes things especially tricky with mental illness is that the faculty of discernment itself is impaired. Therefore, her view of herself is even more distorted than the average person, which explains some of the "negative" symptoms of schizophrenia, manifested, for example, by acceptability of looking disshevelled.

So, where am I going with all this? I think it is key for you to remind your daughter (and yourself) that she is not her illness; she is bezalem elokim. So, my advice is not to leave her alone, but not to nag her either, since that is not so effective. My advice is to get her in touch with the real her. What activities did she used to like? I think creative activities (art, music, writing in journal, etc) are helpful.
A Lynn

Bottom

Sarah
Supporter

12/4/05 9:56 AM

Dear Dr. Lynn,

Following a visit to the psychiatrist we are making a change of medication from zyprexa to resperdol. Is it normal to take as long as 4 months for the total switch? The reason for the switch is because my daughter still hears voices.

My daughter finds that she has too much time on her hands. We are trying to find an activity which she enjoys doing.

Another question is: before cognitive therapy, lifeskills etc. can take place does my daughter have to be able to communicate with the therapist? Meaning - I go with my daughter to the psychiatrist but she won't initiate any questions or needs - she just answers in monosyllables usually.

What can help my daughter express herself?

Thanks

Sarah

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

12/5/05 11:14 PM

Sarah-
Four months sounds like a long time to me, but you should really speak directly to the psychiatrist. As for helping people express themselves, I found that art/music/movement therapy were helpful, because they do not require people to be verbal, yet they are valid forms of self expression.
A Lynn

Bottom

Sarah
Supporter

12/19/05 6:44 PM

Dear Dr. Lynn,

The Resperdal did not work out. It made the voices stronger so we went back to zyprexa. My daughter is also on orthomolecular (vitamin) therapy.

The problem is that her depression is getting really bad. The psychiatrist says that it takes up to 3 weeks to return to how she was before the change of medication.

Is there anything a psychiatrist could do to help my daughter instead of waiting it out?

Thanks

Sarah

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

12/24/05 10:57 PM

Sarah
I am sorry to hear the risperdol did not work. Unfortunately, we are still a bit in the dark ages when it comes to meds, and only know if something works based on whether the symptoms get better or not, which can often mean a long period of experimentation. Is she on anti-depressants?
A Lynn

Bottom

Sarah
Supporter

12/25/05 10:56 PM

Dear Dr. Lynn

Yes, my daughter is on Effexor XR. The depression lasted less than a week. However, my daughter can't think for herself. She would rather be a couch-potato than do a task.

She cannot get up in the mornings. Usually she gets up by 11 a.m. or later. What is the sequence of this behavior - when can I expect her to come back to life? I believe that if she would have scheduled tasks to do each day e.g. starting at 11 a.m. she would do much better. However the hospital does not have such activities to suit her timing and the doctors tell me to find some thing for her to keep herself busy with but they do not want my daughter to go to another program (they think it is too soon for her to be out on her own).

I am quite frustrated over this.

Sarah

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

12/26/05 11:39 PM

Sarah-
We discussed previously the possibility of Continuing Day Treatment vs. a residential program. Where is she now? What is the plan? I agree with you that regular, structured activies are key for recovery. I also recommend art/music/movement therapy. Unfortunately, I cannot predict when you will get your daughter back. I will daven, B"N.
A Lynn

Bottom

Sarah
Supporter

12/27/05 10:24 PM

Dear Dr. Lynn

Thanks for your kind words. My daughter has been through the Day Treatment. She didn't miss a day! This week she is home due to the holidays.

In January she will go to the hospital for a few hours 3 x week. One day she will begin light exercise which she really needs. One day is a social skills group for an hour and one day is cooking for a few hours.

She has a wonderful music teacher come to the house once a week.

Today she woke up at 12 noon but then had a very exciting day. She went to the library by herself. I took off work for an hour and took her to see the Prime Minister of Canada who visited an institution in our neighbourhood and she met her friend at the occasion. Afterwards she had her music lesson of the week.

It would be wonderful if we could find more interesting things for her to do as she really thrives on them. I hope the lethargy will go away soon. What is the norm?

Wishing you all a Happy Chanukah

Sarah

Bottom

Sarah
Supporter

1/1/06 9:45 PM

Dear Dr. Lynn,

Since my daughter's psychosis, I noticed that she does not like to daven in the mornings. She was always very careful about saying her prayers before. She still bentches after her meals. I'm wondering if this will return after she gets well? Is it better that I don't keep telling her what to do? On average how long does it take for someone like my daughter to get back on track even if it is not like she previously was. Does the right medication make the difference?

Thanks

Sarah

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

1/9/06 10:31 PM

I would say six to nine months, but it could be 18 months.
a lynn

Bottom

Sarah
Supporter

3/5/06 6:12 PM

Hi Dr. Lynn,

It is 10 months already since my daughter became ill. Boruch Hashem she does not stay in bed anymore and gets up around 9 a.m. or abit later. She is no longer so tired and the voices have become whispers. It is a very slow process but we try to arrange an activity or two activities in a day. This helps her become more interested in living. I wonder if anyone can recommend a book for recovery in schizophrenia?

Thanks

Sarah

Bottom

Supporter

3/9/06 2:23 PM

Sarah,

I briefly read your posts today. My father suffered from schizophrenia. He has passed away but my life as a child was greatly affected. I think the help available today is more sophisticated and broad.

I watched "A Beautiful Mind" which was based on an economics proffessor's life with schizophrenia (Nash was his name). The book is available--I think by the same name as the movie. I think the most memorable line in the movie is when Nash, who made great progress in managing his symptoms, responds to a question as to whether he still hears voices, says, "I hear them--but I choose not to listen to them". This is not an exact quote but close enough to make the point. He went on to receive a Nobel Prize in economics.

He demonstrated that the sufferer could exert some degree of control over his symptoms. He was largely supported by a loving wife. I think it is important to convey this message to all mental health sufferers.

Raisy

Bottom

Sarah
Supporter

3/12/06 10:30 AM

Dear Raisy

I actually watched this movie. It is very encouraging. A good book for starters is WRAP Wellness Recovery Awareness Program by Mary Ellen Copeland. This encourages a record keeping and looking into how the person was before illness struck.

There are lots of good websites on the net to do one's own research on cognitive therapy, etc. The problem is that the schizophrenic person has to want to play an active role in the recovery which my daughter has not yet gotten to.

In my daughter's case, inositol will help relieve her anxiety and help her eyebrows grow back but she refuses to take it, saying that she doesn't like the taste of it. I wonder if I would make muffins with it, whether it would help her.

Thanks for writing.

Sarah

Bottom

Supporter

3/13/06 2:18 PM

Sarah,

Why won't she participate in her recovery?

Bottom

Sarah
Supporter

3/13/06 9:52 PM

Hi Raisy,

Happy Purim! In answer to your question, my daughter

a) thinks she knows what's good for her (usually we have to show results after a bout of stubborness on her part or
b) she thinks she is well (nothing 'physically' wrong with her, or
c) now she takes the inositol if I prepare it for her.

Kol Tuv,

Sarah

Bottom

Supporter

3/17/06 12:45 PM

Sarah,

Is Inositol an antipsychotic?

It's a fine line to walk for a parent of a child with a mental health disorder. You can't demonstrate that you want her to heal more than she does herself. She has to want mental health badly enough to work to maintain it.

My mother 'co-depended' on my father and there was this sick sort of dynamic between them, with his not complying and her alternately threatening and hovering over him. Ultimately, my father did not take responsibility for his imbalance.

I think, and forgive me for preaching--I don't mean this for you, I'm talking to myself as well, since I have my own issues to deal with, that responsibility is the key word.

If your daughter wants to have a good, normal life, she'll need to work at it. By the way everybody does. Everyone is dealing with some handicap or another. Admittedly, some of us get a bigger 'peckel'.

Raisy

Bottom

Sarah
Supporter

3/17/06 5:31 PM

Hi Raisy,

No, inositol is part of the vitamin B3 which is supposed to help mental illness as well as trichotillomania (pulling of hair).

Raisy you are so right. The thing is the person with mental illness may not realize what a big peckel they have. It's the people around that person who realize it and in my case I try to help and it backfires. I was at the psychiatrist today and I have to go with my daughter as my daughter won't speak up for herself. I am her mouthpiece. Anyway we have planned activities for every day of the week excluding Shabbos of course. I was told to stay out of trying to help my daughter with the WRAP program she is taking. WRAP stands for Wellness Recovery Action Plan and one can look it up on the net.

Have a Good Shabbos.

Sarah

Bottom

Supporter

3/24/06 3:01 PM

Maybe it was mentioned but I didn't get it: how old is your daughter? I thought she might be in high school.

I think mental health needs to be modeled. responsibility for one's health needs modelling. It sounds like your doing all the right things. This sounds trite, but ultimately she'll have to be accountable for her own health. We can cheerlead them on.

Bottom

Sarah
Supporter

3/24/06 5:18 PM

Hi Raisy

My daughter is 20 years young. I think that many people with schizophrenia are stubborn with their thinking and no matter what you suggest to them, they won't listen.

Good shabbos

Sarah

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

3/26/06 12:26 AM

It's helpful to be optimistic that she will soon be completely well; and in the meantime to try one's best to provide a peaceful and loving environment.

Bottom

Sarah
Supporter

9/2/06 11:43 PM

Hi Dr. Lynn

This is an update on my daughter's schizophrenia. It is just over 1 and a quarter years since my daughter developed a psychosis. Until recently she was on 30 mg zyprexa. It is no wonder that she was tired all the time. We are slowly switching her over to risperdal and currently she is on 5 mg zyprexa and 1 and 1/2 mg risperdal.

The hand tremors Boruch Hashem have really improved drastically. I don't know why the psychiatrist took so long to do the switch-over and I am abit upset with myself for not being more forceful.

My daughter currently only has a program to go to on Wednesdays and Thursdays. I feel that if you keep the mind busy with a small amount of learning each day, it exercises the mind and makes the person feel better. What do you think?

Have you ever heard of a document called "Brian Johnston's Enhancing Recovery from Psychosis: a practical guide"

What type of recovery treatment can help get my daughter on track sooner?

Also have you heard of http://www.4yourtype.com dadamo's books on nutrition and blood type.

They say most schizophrenia patients are Blood Type O. Is this true?

Thanks

Sarah

Bottom

Sarah
Supporter

9/16/06 9:01 PM

Dear Dr. Lynn

Now my daughter has made the switch to risperdal and she is on 2 mg risperdal. Can you believe it! - she has been so drowsy and tired for a year and a third and overnight she could only sleep a few hours at a time and she was up at 6 a.m. this morning. This evening her voices became louder. The psychiatrist suggests taking 5 mg zyprexa when she can't sleep.

There is also the problem of not menstruating. The psychiatrist suggests that she see a gynecologist to prescribe some medication for that. Does that mean she will be on the pill?

I hope you see this message.

Sarah

Edited: 9/16/06 at 9:03 PM by Sarah

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

10/4/06 1:07 AM

Sara,
First, I am sorry I did not respond sooner. If you notice a few days pass, please send me a private message, since I check that more frequently.
I do not know whether your dtr will go on the pill- try Dr. Price.
a lynn

Bottom

Sarah
Supporter

6/9/07 11:47 PM

Hi Everyone!

Here is an update! It is just over two years since my daughter suffered from her first and hopefully only psychosis. She was thought to have undifferentiated schizophrenia. She has excelled in taking her medication and vitamins each and every day and throughout the day.

It was suggested that we try a Natural Doctor which we have to pay privately. This natural doctor happens to be a MD too, so at least we do not have to pay for blood tests. I am sorry we did not seek him out before. He suggests that my daughter has hypo-thyroidism. He says she has all the symptoms and even though she was tested for such, it could be below the clinical level and can cause hallucinations and psychosis etc.

I am urging others who have mental illness to find out if their illness is justly named or whether it is just symptoms of another illness which today's conventional doctors do not know how to check for or because they like to prescribe medications which may cause many other problems.

Of course, I must reiterate that my daughter will not go off her medication until the Natural Doctor speaks to her psychiatrist.

She is currently on 4 mg risperdal which does not make much difference from the 2 mg. that she was taking. The hallucinations she has at night are only whispers now. She can ward off the voices during the day. She is keeping herself busier by volunteering in a seniors programming association twice a week. She is doing so much better Boruch Hashem.

The regular MD never put her on the pill because she says there is no harm in not menstruating for even a year!

I am happy to be able to share all this with the group.

Sarah

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

6/10/07 1:24 AM

Glad to hear that your daughter is doing so much better. I hope it continues to go from good to even better, and that you will have only good news to report.

Bottom

Sarah
Supporter

6/10/07 10:45 PM

Thanks for your positive post, Gad.

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

6/14/07 12:15 AM

Thank you for the positive thanks, it really made my day.

Hope to hear good news.

Bottom

Dr. Lynn
Supporter

6/26/07 12:57 AM
User is offline View users profile

I am so happy she is doing better. You make a great point- the rule of thumb is always rule out medical causes when people have psychiatric symptoms. I have unfortunately seen many cases of misdiagnosis. Please keep us posted!
a lynn

Bottom

Sarah
Supporter

8/18/07 9:22 PM

Hi Dr. Lynn and the whole group,

This is a follow-up of my post of the 06/09/07. Indeed my daughter is thought to have hypothyroidism Type 2 as she has many of the symptoms for this illness and she is currently on Lugol's solution of iodine and iodide. This coming week she will iy"H be starting thyroid hormone. I don't expect miracles for right at the beginning but we are really looking forward to very positive results iy"H .

A Gutte Voch! I will keep you posted.

Sarah

Edited: 8/18/07 at 9:29 PM by Sarah

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

8/18/07 11:17 PM

Hope it's successful, and that she has a complete and speedy recovery.

Have a gut voch, and may you and your whole family be inscribed and sealed for a good and sweet year.

Bottom

Sarah
Supporter

8/21/07 2:32 PM

Hi Gad,

Thank you for your positive feedback as always. I hope that you too are well. May you have a k'siva, chasima tova and a healthy New Year.

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

8/21/07 3:41 PM

Omein.

May we hear good news about your daughter and the whole family.

Bottom

bsd
Supporter

8/22/07 3:23 AM

Sarah, just read your update about your daughter's hypo-thyroidism and decided to share my story too. I was a CRAZY teenager. I couldn't understand why i was sooo moody,anxious, depressed for no good reason. I wasn't just a typical teenager. I really gave my parents a hard time (mildly speaking). I went through hell, but couldn't understand why i was acting like that and certainly couldn't help myself. Anyhow, I went to a seminary overseas and nothing improved. I was so irritable and tired all the time, used to sleep through (at my desk in class) most of the lessons. I also didn't get my period for five months. Nobody ever thought of sending me to a general doctor for a regular checkup. While still in sem I got some strech marks on my legs and went to check it out. Doc said it's probably nothing but told me to come back in a week if it didn't go away. In a week I was back and he took a simple blood test. Two days later he got the results, called my parents right away to take me home emergency. My thyroid level was sky rocketing high. Doc couldn't understand how I was able to function and said I was fortunate nothing serious happened to me. I went home right away and started medication but eventually my thryoid was removed with radioactive iodine. I felt like a different person soon after my levels were regulated. I still feel sorry for missing out so much in my high school years and I'm still embarrased of my own self for being such a crazy teen. I've learned a lesson the hard way and now i make sure to take my kids for yearly well visits.

Edited: 8/22/07 at 3:26 AM by bsd

Bottom

Sarah
Supporter

8/22/07 6:29 PM

Hi BSD,

Thank you for sharing your story. Did you also have a psychotic break when you were a teenager? I am reading a paper by Benzion Sorotzkin Psy. D. entitled Chemical Imbalance,Genetic Malfunction and also Understanding and Treating Perfectionism in Frum Adolescents available from http://www.drsorotzkin.com/articles.html#Psychotherapy and it seems to me that he puts the blame of mental illness on the poor parental upbringing of the child. Should this be true and this is what doctors "used" to think, it definitely causes "hatred" for the child and this may have been a cause of the change of thinking. Nowadays, the psychiatrists state that it definitely has nothing to do with the parents and they mention that the brains of schizophrenic patients are different than the average person. He also states that perfectionism is not good for a child to have and neither is too much criticism by the parent of him/her, etc.

My questions are :
1. "If the other children of the family turn out okay, why would the one child who has schizophrenia be parented differently? "
2. "Some people do have a chemical imbalance and require certain vitamins to be healed (but they have to stay on the vitamins)". It can definitely not be compared to taking an aspirin for a headache - the headache may come from stress and Dr. Sorotzkin states the patient is not aspirin-deficient. Of course not, but how can he compare a headache to a mental-illness?
3. "I do believe that anti-psychotics take away many of the Positive and Negative Symptoms although I am uncertain whether they may make the patient have these Negative Symptoms in the first place, such as "bluntness" etc. and also cause many side effects many of them long-term.
4. I personally think that mental illness is genetic. (It tends to run in families - therefore there is so much stigma.)

Let's see what the group thinks.

Sarah

Edited: 8/22/07 at 7:22 PM by Sarah

Bottom

Sarah
Supporter

10/15/07 9:50 PM

It's a pity I did not receive any replies to my post. However BSD it seems you had hyperthyroid #1- too much thyroid hormone. My daughter supposedly has hypothyroidism #2 which cannot be diagnosed by a blood test.

It does show us though that there are other causes of mental illness and that most psychiatrists won't attempt to "cure" mentally sick patients only to "calm" them down and let them go on with their dull lives.

What does the group think?

Kol Tuv

Sarah

Bottom

Sarah
Supporter

10/20/07 11:14 PM

I am happy to report to the group that my daughter is doing very well on the thyroid medication together with iodine. She has been on it for about three months now and I see that she is becoming more independant and that her natural character is making a comeback. The doctor expects that it would take many months (a year) to see much improvement (for her face to be less puffy, etc.)

The natural doctor also told my daughter to take an adrenal gland enhancer and she has taken it for a few days now and I notice that she is talking much more and that she is more social. She went to visit an old friend today who took her to a shiur which she enjoyed.

I hope to share further good news with the group.

Edited: 10/21/07 at 11:58 AM by Sarah

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

10/21/07 1:51 AM

Thank you for the good news. It's really nice to hear it. I hope that with G-d's help it should get better and better. Have a gut voch.

Bottom

Sarah
Supporter

10/21/07 11:55 AM

Hi Gad,

Todah Rabbah, gam lecha b'ezrat Hashem!

Sarah

Bottom

Dr. Lynn
Supporter

10/28/07 9:11 PM
User is offline View users profile

That's wonderful news! Thanks for letting us know.
a lynn

Bottom

Sarah
Supporter

11/28/09 6:16 PM

Dear Gad,

You are so right. It was my mistake.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Sarah

Edited: 11/28/09 at 10:45 PM by Sarah

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

11/28/09 7:38 PM

Gut voch.

I think you are mixing up Dr. Lippa with Dr. Lynn.

They are two different people.

In the past, you were corresponding back and forth with Dr. Lynn as well as Dr. Lippa.
In the letter you just posted, you quote Dr. Lippa. So it sounds like you want to address him.

You may want to paste your letter (editing out Dr. Lynn's name) into the thread you usually use when you write to Dr. Lippa. (He seems to monitor that thread regularly.)

I hope your daughter has a speedy recovery, and that you will have good news to post.

Edited: 11/28/09 at 7:46 PM by gad

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

11/29/09 12:56 AM

Originally posted by: Sarah
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

You're welcome.

I hope that your daughter has a speedy recovery soon, and that you have much Yiddishe nachas from her.

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Ask Dr. Lynn < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.