Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: tourette syndrome
Created On 12/25/05 4:20 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

torn
Junior Supporter

12/25/05 4:20 PM

hi.
i just took a 2 week break from dating someone--there are a number of factors at work but among the most central issues of concern to me are:
the person was diagnosed with tourette syndrome as a child. he has been on medication ever since and is highly functioning, very disciplined, accomplished human being.
however, from what i understand, his form of tourette's was severe and although his medications seem to work insofar as controlling tics and the emotional baggage that often comes with tourette's (in his case anxiety and ocd) im worried aobut possible hereditary implications.
i understand that tourette's is genetic and from what the person has told me i know that his father has been diagnosed with bipolar, and his younger brother is clinically depressed.
any information regarding stats on heritability and/or prevention/cure of tourette syndrome would be very much appreciated.

thank you.

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

12/26/05 11:42 PM

Unfortunately I am not well informed about this disorder. However, I would look at the Mayo Clinic and NIMH (National Institute of Mental Health) for research findings.
A Lynn

Bottom

FuturePsyD
Junior Supporter

5/2/06 4:30 PM

Here's a great website with lots of information on TS.
http://www.tsanj.org/
Good luck!

Bottom

div01
Junior Supporter

5/2/06 7:12 PM

My son has tics, his pediatrician said to look into tourette s. and get medical intervention for it, this at age 8-9. My son's father does not have tics, so I wonder about the hereditary factor. After researching my options regarding medication, I opted for nutritional intervention. I began giving him b-complex, calcium, protein shakes, and a multi. There are times when I need to add valerian, but quite infrequently. B''H he has no trouble swallowing these vitamins, and B"H the tics are a thing of the past. But whenever he's off of the vitamins for more than a week or two the tics do return. These supplements are giving his body the materials it needs to support proper functioning As someone has posted elsewhere on this site< it is important to buy a good brand: in fact the first brand we tried did not help much but with the second brand< Shaklee> my son is b"h doing ok

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Ask Dr. Lynn < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.