Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: husband with ocd, depression, no energy
Created On 3/7/06 11:24 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

happy123
Junior Supporter

3/7/06 11:24 AM

Hi, looking for info on support for myself and kids with husband who for days will just sit around and read, do nothing, sleep, not go into work. Then when he does go into work, gets upset at things that have occurred in his absence that didn't go to his liking (perfectionistic liking). Does get up to go exercise in the morning but does not get up to daven when he has no exercise. He does daven but just gets it in a few minutes before noon. He has tried going to psychiatrists for his low energy level, time management issues, low level of participation in family, ocd tendencies, etc. but every time it comes to changing he stops going. He has taken several meds (Ritalin, Paxil, Straterra, Wellbutrin, and another newer one) and nothing seems to work at all. It just seems to make him more edgy. He also turns to more risky areas of recreation like motorcycles, shooting, etc. which get our family very nervous. I'm not sure what to do at this point for my family and myself and also to help him. Any suggestions?

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

3/14/06 11:57 PM

Would he consider psychotherapy?
A Lynn

Bottom

happy123
Junior Supporter

3/22/06 2:43 PM

Perhaps I wasn't clear but he has gone to many professionals and he just doesn't follow through. Even if he sees someone, there are still repercussions to the family. Are there any survival techniques you can recommend?

Bottom

Supporter

3/24/06 3:06 PM

Sometimes people need ultimatums. He needs to see that although he may be "sufferer" his behaviors affect his family. And he needs to be responsible.

You may have to tell him that he follows through with therapy or...whatever the consequence may be, perhaps you'll leave, or go to "beis din" etc.

It's traumatizing for children to witness their father behaving thus.

Chazak ve'ematz.

Raisy

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

3/26/06 11:20 PM

I might suggest family therapy. I have sent some people to the Ackerman Institute 212-879-4900, which is affiliated with NYU, and have heard good feedback. I agree that a depressed father affects the whole family, and that sometimes ultimatums have to be given, but I think they have to be well-timed and well-thought out to really have the desired effect.
A Lynn

Bottom

deborbar4
Junior Supporter

3/30/06 8:32 PM

sorry you're having such a rough life. you must be so lonely. I think you should definately give him the choice: get help continuously or divorce. you deserve better than that. you have a life and your children have a life. you're probably better off lonely and single than lonely and married.

Edited: 3/30/06 at 8:42 PM by deborbar4

Bottom

stillfighting
Supporter

5/3/06 12:30 AM

wow its intereasting to see how fast divorce comes as an ansewer.
very scary.

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

5/4/06 11:41 PM

that is ONE opinion.
a lynn

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Ask Dr. Lynn < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.