Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: talking to therapist in front of child
Created On 3/22/06 1:50 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

bf
Junior Supporter

3/22/06 1:50 AM

I have a little boy and we have just switched therapists. One of the problems we had with the last therapist was that she would talk to me for 1/2 to 3/4 of the session and then go play with my son and work with him. This really frustrated my son. Especially because he knew that she was supposed to help him. I spoke to her about this, but she only continued.

The new therapist we started to see also spoke to me for almost the whole session. I do not like talking about my son and everything that he is going through in front of him. It only upsets him more. He really started acting out and had a much harder time than usual getting to sleep. Do all therapists do this? How do I handle this? I feel that it hurts my son, not helps him. He is 7,
and visitation with his father has recently been drastically changed due to his testing positive in court and acs bringing a neglect case against him.

Do you know of any books to explain addiction and/or abuse to a young child? My son feels that it is all his fault for telling me or that it's all my fault. Actually he blames me for everything, but I realize it's because he feels safe doing that. How can I help him get to sleep? It takes him about 1 to 2 hours each night. I also forgot to mention that all of this took place within the past month and his grandmother also died. I was not allowed to go with him to the funeral, and his father took him to the gravesite.

HELP! I want to be able to help my son.

thank you

Bottom

frumtherapist
Supporter

3/22/06 5:24 PM

You asked a couple of questions. I would recommend you find an outpatient addiction treatment program that has a COSA component (children of substance abusers); they will know how to "coach" you and your family through this issue.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Ask Dr. Lynn < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.