Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Dysthimia
Created On 5/16/06 6:02 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Belly
Supporter

5/16/06 6:02 AM

HI Dr. Lynn
I send this to you as a pm, but I guess I can post this here. Maybe someone else can help me too or can be helped by reading this.

I had my thyroid checked a few times withing the last few years. How do I rule out it's PMS? I talked to my therapist about cognitive therapy. She said that it's not her field and she will be happy to help me find someone whenever I'm ready for it. I wish I could combine these things. I guess if I feel that I really tried everything I would go on medication to make it easier for me and my family. Eventhough I did not tell anyone if my family about my probelm I just feel they would critizes me and say why do you need medication why don't you just.... Am I just being weak for taking medication? The psychiatrist I saw said I have a low grade, but chronic depression. Is it so hard to get out of it or am I just to weak to do it without medication?
I know that you can't give me a clear cut answer to my questions. I really apreciate though if you can help me see thigs from different angles and through this help me feel better about any decision I'll make

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

5/24/06 5:19 AM

Belly,
First of all, I do not see it as a sign of weakness to be on medication. I actually see it as a sign of courage and strength for a person to be able to recognize a problem and address it. That is why I think the whole stigma against mental health issues is so rediculous- it is the people who DON'T seek help that are SICK. But, I'll get off my soapbax...

You mentioned having your thyroid checked, but you didn't tell us the results. When it comes to mood problems or anxiety, it is always wise to rule out medical causes. Do you know what causes your felings of depression? Did you try taking medication?
a lynn

Bottom

tulip
Supporter

7/20/06 10:56 PM

Belly, have you followed up with the cbt?
I am very interested to hear from people who have been able to get through dysthymia.
Or is dysthymia something that's here to stay?
I have this idea that when a growing child does not have a supportive figure in her/his life he/she develops a helplessness that becomes a permanent feature of his/her functioning (or malfunctioning...).
That as an adult, as long as the person has the necessary support, nah.... Iduno, you think if a person has the necessary emotional support it kind of fills that hole of helplessness? So we're talking about dependency here?
Or, how about the support of a therapist. To be in therapy for the rest of one's life....? That would be a trusting, safe, therapeutic relationship that would kind of heal the little helpless child within....
So yes, people who contend with dysthymia need long-term support in order to function optimally.
Just thinking aloud. I really would like some answers about dysthymia.

Bottom

Belly
Supporter

7/21/06 1:35 AM

Hi Tulip
I'm asking myself a lot of the questions you brought up. It's scary, but right now I'm at a good point. I just met my pshychiatrist who was impressed on how I'm doing and gave me the ok to lower the dosage (I'm taking Hypericum right now). I do have some major decission coming up so we agreed to wait till I past this time and then I'll go ahead. I feel that now I"m strong enough to work on the things that still need to be worked on without medication. I think that the sense of hopelessness can be replaced by believing in yourself. Giving yourself a pat on the shoulder. It's scary and I don't have the answer of if we sill need therapy for the rest of our lives. Just feeling good about myself is already a step forward. We don't know what the future will bring, so I try to just be happy whith what is going on right now. I'm still with the same therapist, but we had a big argument. Eventhou I did talk to her about it and she appologized, I still have this bad taste left and don't know how to continue from here.
Let me know how you are doing.
Belly

Bottom

tulip
Supporter

7/21/06 6:25 PM

Belly, regarding your argument with your T, you may want to refer to Dr. Lynn's reply (can't recall which topic, if I find it I'll post it), about talking to your T about the three pillars.
Hypericum helps to relieve symptoms of dysthymia? That low-grade depression, sadness, helplessness?
And how does one come to believe in one's self? I understand that through the process of good psychotherapy this comes about, or does it? But what about the therapeutic process or relationship brings about this shift in self-view?

Bottom

tulip
Supporter

7/21/06 6:26 PM

Hey Belly, wanna share with us what the argument was about?

Good for you that right now you are at a good point! Kol Hakovod!

Bottom

ernie55B
Senior Supporter

7/23/06 6:48 PM

Hi Tulip,

You raised some very good questions regarding dysthymia that I have been asking myself for quite some time now.
Will I need my therapist forever as a supportive figure? Will I ever get past this low grade (sometimes severe)
depression, sadness, hopelessness?

My therapist is convinced that I will not need her forever and that while I may never be completely cured of
this, I will be able to live a happy life.

She is so sure that once I enter into a supportive, loving relationship (something I did not have in my marriage),
I will be fine.

I really wonder though, as I have never really experienced happiness. So I cannot imagine it ever being possible
for me.

Hope you are well; you add a lot of insight to the forum.
Keep posting please!

Ernie

Bottom

ernie55B
Senior Supporter

7/23/06 8:07 PM

Sorry Dr. Lynn,

This should be posted elsewhere, I just realized.

Ernie

Bottom

Belly
Supporter

7/25/06 4:40 AM

I answered in the Therapy section to all these questions.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Ask Dr. Lynn < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.