Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: If c/b is so succesful why do we still need meds?
Created On 6/11/06 4:40 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Belly
Supporter

6/11/06 4:40 AM

I got to a point that I feel I can not continue the way I did till now. It's eighter medication or c/b therapy.
My question is: I keep on reading how successful c/b therapy is. Why on all earth are people still taking medication if c/b therapy is so helpful? Why aren't all therapists changing to c/b? Assuming that you have a better overview of the different kinds of therapy and their successrate I would be interested in hearing your opinion about it.
Thank you.

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

6/13/06 7:27 AM

My understanding of the literature is that the greatest success rate for many diagnoses (you didn't specify which we are talking about) is a combination of psychotherapy AND medication. I feel in many cases they are both important. Of course, I have seen many cases where people are over-medicated, under-medicated and mis-medicated, but that is why it is so important to have a good psychiatrist. Just like meds don't solve all problems, cognitive-behavior treatment also doesn't solve all problems.
a lynn

Bottom

Belly
Supporter

6/13/06 10:22 AM

I'm dealing with mild chronic depression. How do I know if I'm with a good phsychatrist? I'm about to find a new one, because the one I went to just never calls back. (Never means it takes about 3 months if she calls back).
I'm so frustrated right now. I see that I really have learned and changed so much since I started treatment and on the other hand I'm suffering. Things are in a way worse then they were before I started therapy. Ok therapy brings out alot of stuff which I didn't deal with, but till now I was able to deal with life without meds. Now I just feel like giving in. I did not expect that things would be so hard.
Belly

Bottom

tulip
Supporter

6/15/06 12:45 AM

Hi belly,

When you say mild chronic depression, are you refering to dysthymia?
I am so sorry that you feel this way nowadays.
Additional stresses have piled up on top of the usual?

If cbt is short--term, what have you got to lose?
Why not try it and see how it goes for you.
You're not obligated to stick through it; if you find it doesn't appeal to you at least you'll know you've tried it. And if it turns out to be helpful to you, you will certainly not regret it.
Hatzlacha Raba to you!

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

6/15/06 11:18 PM

Belly-
A doctor that doesn't call back is not a good doctor in my book. If you are feeling that the work is hard, chances are that you are making positive changes and taking your growth seriously. I often refer to the gym analogy, where progress is often accompanied by pain.
a lynn

Bottom

hodgkinslung
Junior Supporter

10/31/06 10:19 AM

what does c/b stand for?i take meds for depression and am wonderining what else can help

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

10/31/06 11:53 PM

cognitive behavioral therapy.

Bottom

MAZ54
Supporter

11/8/06 11:59 PM
User is offline View users profile

I HAVE A DR. THAT CALLS BACK ROBERT GROSSMAN 101 E 80TH ST 212-848-9858 HE'S GOOD TOO REASONABLE RATES COMPARED TO OTHERS.GIVE HIM A CALL NICE GUY . GOOD LUCK!!!!

-------------------------
I HAVE BIPOLAR DISORDER AND GENERALIZED ANXIETY.

Bottom

MAZ54
Supporter

11/9/06 12:03 AM
User is offline View users profile

P.S HE'S A PSYCHIATRIST.

-------------------------
I HAVE BIPOLAR DISORDER AND GENERALIZED ANXIETY.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Ask Dr. Lynn < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.