Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: The power of therapy
Created On 7/13/06 12:02 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

bubbles
Supporter

7/13/06 12:02 PM

"Hi Dr. Lynn, I posted the following here by mistake, I have subsequently moved it to the therapy forum where it belongs.
I came back here to delete, but then as an after thought decided to leave it. I thought that perhaps it would give you some Chizuk.
I am sure you have clients who have been struggling over the same issues for inordinate amounts of time?
But you can see that eventually the work pays off, and you ultimately succeed in changing a persons life.
Being a therapist is not easy work, and I think its important for people to give Chizuk to therapists too.
Hope I am not overstepping the boundaries!
thanks for all your kind and careful replies.
take care
debbi"

Just wanted to share this with anyone who is interested.

I have been in therapy for nearly 7 years.
Its been a long and difficult struggle, and now I am just begining to see the fruits of our struggle.
I say "our" because I believe that my therapist shares in this struggle too.

During the years of therapy we have covered many different areas, however quite often we have discussed some issues repetedly.
Over and over again we talked about how some feelings that I experience in the present are often linked to the past.
Logically i kind of got it, and after reading all the literature I could get my hands on, I "understood" on a cognitive level what it meant, and how it affected my life today.

However
just a few days ago, something in my brain clicked.
I suddenly understand on an emotional level what it means to feel strong feelings from the past.

Its so strange to know that although I have been discussing this issue for years and years, I never really "got it"?
Its a weird feeling.

And the best part is, that I feel so much more in control of those frighteningly overpowering feelings, which descend upon me at different times.
Now I can actually talk to myself, and tell myself that I am safe, and that no one will hurt me.
I have done this excersise in the past, following my therapists instruction, but somehow I have never been able to listen to my own voice. So talking to myself never really worked, because I disregarded my own words.

Thanks to all the hard work on the part of my therapist and myself, I am finally begining to listen to myself, and respect my inner voice.
I no longer need to call up my therapist in a panic, and beg her to save me from these horribly debilitating feelings.

All I need to do is tell myself that I am not in danger, and that the terribly overwhelming feelings are but from the past!
Its a wonderful tool, and it really works.

I'm really feeling accomplished with all this advancement, and I am sure my therapist is glad that she (probably) wont be receiving any more emergency phone calls!

Any comments?
would be glad to listen.

Take care all,
debbi TextText

Edited: 7/13/06 at 12:14 PM by bubbles

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

7/21/06 12:58 AM

I am so happy for you! May you go from breakthrough to breakthrough!
a lynn

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Ask Dr. Lynn < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.