Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: therapist as authority figure
Created On 7/20/06 9:47 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

tulip
Supporter

7/20/06 9:47 PM

I realize my question may be a vague one, still I will ask it.
I understand that psychotherapy is collaborative work. Too, there is the issue of authority. How do you reconcile the two? Am I making sense here....? If my question is unclear I will rethink this and repost. Thank you!

Bottom

tulip
Supporter

7/20/06 9:55 PM

Two of my four children are in weekly counseling. The therapist has asked me to commit to regular parenting sessions. I have met with her 5 times already and I am having a bit of a hard time with her being in the role of an authority figure telling me what to do or what not to do. I feel more in control of the situation when I'm the one asking for the advice, as opposed to her oft unsolicited advice. I have talked to her about it and she says that it is my issue, that I have an issue with control. I just wonder about that. Is she right? And what can I do, letsay some shift in perspective or what, that will allow us to work collaboratively? Or are parenting sessions with one's child's shrink not a collaborative effort? Is it rather therapist in the role of authority figure?
I look forward to your response! Thanks!

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

7/21/06 1:07 AM

If you are going to a competant professional, isn't the advice solicited? I think it is not easy for any of us to be told that what we are doing with our kids is "wrong". I DO think that working with a shrink is supposed to be collaborative, but maybe you and the shrink have different ideas about what her role is.
a lynn

Bottom

tulip
Supporter

7/21/06 6:36 PM

Shrink's idea is that she is the teacher and I am the student. Could that be the reason I'm having a hard time of it?

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

8/1/06 11:49 PM

What's wrong with being the student?
a lynn

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Ask Dr. Lynn < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.