Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: My story and TMS question
Created On 3/2/13 3:36 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Lasthope
Senior Supporter

3/2/13 3:36 PM

Hi,
Basically, I have been suffering from depression for 14 years since I was 15 (I'm now 29)
I''m not sure what happened but sometime in tenth grade I started getting very moody and sad and confused and things just went downhill from there. I went through a trauma as a child and lived in a single parent home so that definitely contributed to my mental health (or lack thereof). I've been seeing psychiatrists and therapists ever since (probably more that I can count on my fingers) and been taking cocktails of medications. Most of the time I just suffered from the side effects and had to just manage somehow. Being someone who would never give up, I pushed through all the time. i pushed through high school to get good grades, managed to have some good friends, always kept trying and trying to ignore the depression, the beast that would eat away at my brain. I had better times and worse times, but mostly black and grey times. I managed to go to a good seminary and actually experienced for the first time in years a solid four months depression free. I was on Prozac weekly and for some reason that combined with being away from home was amazing. I lost my meds and then as withdrawl set it I fell into a deep dark depression. Throughout all this I met my husband, who has been my companion, my backbone, my suppporter since day one. We are together almost ten years, and four kids later, he's still behind me in trying to find the right treatment.
I am currently suffering from a terrible post partum depression, on top of my usual chronic depression, so life has been pretty insane. During pregnancy I went off of one of my meds (effexor) and had terrible withdrawl symptoms (scary dreams, vomiting, pure hell - dont do it) and since then I've been feeling worse than ever. We tried Celexa and Resperdal after the baby was born and those did nothing , so then we tried Lithium and Ritalin. Ritalin made me crazy so now I'm only on Lithium. waiting for something to happen... my current psychiatrist has diagnosed me with Bipolar II, which is basicaly bipolar without the mania. Instead the mania is like a low version of mania. No crazy shopping sprees or wanting to take over the world, just fast thinking, talking etc. I used to have those but dont' anymore and now it's only depression, and some anxiety two. I decided that depression and anxiety are good friends.
So you may be wondering, how do I do it with four young children and horrible depression....? Believe me, I'm wondering the same thing. It's really really hard. I have anxiety when I go to sleep because I have to wake up to taking care of other human beings and my home where I can barely take care of myself. Every day I feel like I have to climb mount Everest - mentally, if you know what I mean. if you have experienced real depression, you will know what I mean.
I am now looking into a treatment called TMS, which is ridiculously expensive but may be a life saver. I don't know. I just don't have any other options anymore. SO many meds have been tried. I DO NOT want to do ECT. So I am gonna try this expensive ridiculously sounding mangetic brain therapy.
That is my story in a nutshell and in a very sloppy way. I generally write better but my brain isn't workign to well...
I am also trying Cranio Sacral Therapy which seems to be doing nothing so far. ANy input or thoughts would be lovely. Mainly would like to know if you know anyone who did TMS? Does it work?

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

3/2/13 7:30 PM

I have personally treated many people with TMS in Monsey, New York and have seen remarkable results without any major effects. No one ever discontinued treatment before finishing the full 6 weeks. We are the least expensive center in the New York area, about $150 per month interest free over 5 years. I recommend combining the 5 day per week treatment together with brief, intensive psychotherapy while sitting in the chair for the best results. During treatments there is a window of accenuated neural plasticity during which time the brain is more flexible to incorporate lasting effects from psychotherapy. Let me know how you make out.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

star
Senior Supporter

3/2/13 7:41 PM

I think she lives in Israel. Are there places there that do TMS?

-------------------------
there is light at the end of the tunnel

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

3/2/13 7:44 PM

Yes, but I do not know exactly where or the cost over there.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

Lasthope
Senior Supporter

3/3/13 1:41 PM

Yes i do live in israel. Im going to meet with a Professor Greenhouse in Tel Aviv tomorrow. Just the meeting is 1600 shekel! (About $450) i think each treatment after that is about 550shekel ($150). I am curious if he will bring up the psychotherapy idea. I go separately to a therapist but combining the two is quite interesting. I am glad to hear that you see remarkable results. You are the one who actually does the TMS? You administer the electric/magnetic impulses? Why does it treat depression?

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

3/3/13 2:10 PM

It helps Depression 3 ways by targeting the area of the brain (left dorsolateral prefrontal cortex) which is less active in Depression: increases neurotransmitters in that area such as dopamine, increases blood flow to the area; increases neuroplasticy to form new connections. I have seen about 75 percent of people experience improvement. If it helps but you find yourself relapsing 1 or 2 years from now, you can re-awaken the initial effect without having to repeat the 30 treatments. I do booster sessions of 3 per week, 2 per week then 1 per week to get back on track if necessary. Let me know how you make out.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

3/3/13 4:28 PM

Dr. Price,

Have you ever had an experience with TMS where it took care of depression but made the anxiety sky rocket? Because that's what happened to me with only left side stimulation. Then we switched to bilateral, and it helped me go back to where I was before with anxiety, but I'm not sure it improved things. What do you think this means?

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

3/3/13 5:06 PM

Since the left sided, fast treatment stimulates dopamine, it works better for depression than for anxiety and can initially make anxiety worse. For this reason, I add on the right side, slow stimulation treatment which stimulates the release of GABA and helps reduce the anxiety component. Some people only due the ride sided treatment if they are coming in for anxiety and not for depression. The right sided alone treatment is only 2 weeks in duration.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

Lasthope
Senior Supporter

3/4/13 1:39 AM

So now my question is, why does it have to cost so much??

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

3/4/13 11:07 AM

The device itself costs almost 100K. The yearly service contract is 7K. Each time you receive one session, there is a piece of hardware that has to be thrown away which costs $100 so that comes to 3K. Hopefully, insurance will start to cover this FDA approved treatment as they cover medications.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

Lasthope
Senior Supporter

3/4/13 11:35 AM

Thanks for the info! Im on my way to meet the professor in tel aviv...

Bottom

Lasthope
Senior Supporter

3/4/13 3:00 PM

The proffesor said the facts are (by him i guess) 40% success rate. Thats much bleaker than i thought and now im not sure i should do it. Dr price, do ur patients generally go off meds while they do this treatment? Isnt the point to help without needing medication? This doc said i should prob continue with meds while i do the treatment. Im dying to be med free cuz of all the sie effects i get. Im just so confused and duno wat to do

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

3/4/13 4:36 PM

Continue same medications during the treatment then try to taper off thereafter. Let me know how you make out.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

3/4/13 6:10 PM

40%? Really? The TMS place I went to claimed almost 100% success rate. I was the exception.

Bottom

Lasthope
Senior Supporter

3/6/13 2:37 AM

yes only 40%. It's kind of a downer since I feel like its my last hope. And it all costs about 15,000 shekel, of which I have 4000 to pay for it. No insurance covers it in Israel. It's also in Tel Aviv and I would have to travel there every day to do it which is such a shlep and parking in Tel Aviv is insane. I really don't know what to do

Bottom

Mimi1022
Senior Supporter

3/6/13 3:49 AM

Maybe try it once or a couple times and see if you improve so you're not wasting your money?

Bottom

Lasthope
Senior Supporter

3/6/13 4:59 AM

Im probably gonna do that...thanx

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

3/6/13 7:03 AM

TMS rarely works after 1-2 sessions like ECT does. Sometimes people do not respond until 2 to 4 to 6 weeks, just like with anti-depressant medication. Let me know how you make out.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

Lasthope
Senior Supporter

3/11/13 9:21 AM

Started TMS yesterday. When could it/ should it start working?

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

3/12/13 7:02 AM

Anywhere from 1 to 6 weeks.

Bottom

Lasthope
Senior Supporter

3/19/13 3:33 PM

Is it normal to get suicidal while doing this treatment? After day 6 i woke up feeling better then acter day 7 i woke up feeling horrible. Ive had one of the worst days of my life today.

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

3/20/13 12:46 AM

According to the research and my own experience, suicidal ideation is usually not a side effect of TMS like you can see from antidepressant medication. Inform your doctor about how you feeling. Let me know how you make out.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

Lasthope
Senior Supporter

5/19/13 11:33 AM

Hi Dr. Price, i never told u how i made it out. I tried Deep TMS for 20 treatments. It did absolutely nothing for me. I dont have the money to keep trying and i think 20 was a fair enough try so im back on anti deppressants. Just thought id let u know.

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

5/19/13 1:43 PM

I am sorry that it did not work out. I have seen people not respond until the last week of the six week treatment. I understand the cost though and the frustration. The group for which the treatment works best is for those with Major Depressive Disorder who did not respond to only one anti-depressant trial at adequate dose and duration.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

Lasthope
Senior Supporter

5/19/13 2:48 PM

Have you seen people not respond at all?

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

5/19/13 2:56 PM

Yes and it is heartbreaking at various levels. We usually combine intensive psychotherapy during the treatments so at least there is the benefit of the therapy.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Ask the Psychiatrist < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.