Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Depression medication
Created On 8/11/13 12:33 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Mimi1022
Senior Supporter

8/11/13 12:33 PM

I've tried Prozac, Zoloft, remeron, and trazodone. Nothing worked at all- I saw no effects.

What is the likelihood that Antidepressant #5 will work?

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

8/11/13 12:55 PM

Less likely after each one you try unless you have a different diagnosis other than depression like Bipolar spectrum etc.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

Mimi1022
Senior Supporter

8/11/13 1:11 PM

Nope, I don't have bipolar. Just depression.

Besides antidepressants which didn't work and psychotherapy which hardly worked, are there any options you think are good to try? (I don't like TMS. I was looking into electroconvulsive therapy. Have you had any patients do this?)

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

8/11/13 2:24 PM

ECT is the most effective treatment for depression after multiple antidepressants have failed. Let me know how you make out.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

Mimi1022
Senior Supporter

8/11/13 3:09 PM

Great where do I sign up

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

8/11/13 3:17 PM

Call your insurance as to which hospital near you performs ECT. You go Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

I'mTrying
Senior Supporter

8/12/13 11:11 PM

As someone who has done electroconvulsive therapy, I can tell you that it's not something you'd want to jump at impulsively. You may want to spend some time researching the possible benefits and side effects before deciding to do ECT.

Bottom

MoMo
Senior Supporter

8/12/13 11:53 PM

Wish, did it do anything for you?

Bottom

I'mTrying
Senior Supporter

8/13/13 12:38 AM

No, not really.I had tried many many medications beforehand, all without success. ECT was the "last hope".
Unfortunately, the only outcome for me was a month in the hospital and memory loss, difficulty in concentration and other cognitive functions.
I was in a very dark and scary place at the time, and I believe that I was not mentally open to having chemical help (or any help for that matter). But there are many studies proving the efficacy of electroconvulsive therapy, and I think provided a person is willing and ready to have ECT work on them, it can be a lifesaver.
I just want to point out that there's more to it than "great where do i sign up". There are some scary cons to consider, and one has to go under general anesthesia which always carries risks. If doing ECT outpatient, the patient also has to have a very good support system- for driving to appointment and generally being around because one can really be disoriented for the duration of the ECT treatments and even for weeks afterwards. Like any other life-altering decision, think it through.

Edited: 8/13/13 at 12:41 AM by I'mTrying

Bottom

Mimi1022
Senior Supporter

8/13/13 12:47 AM

That is good to know. Thanks.

Bottom

Lasthope
Senior Supporter

8/15/13 4:02 PM

Mimi, what was your childhood like?

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Ask the Psychiatrist < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.