Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Social Phobia
Created On 10/12/13 9:05 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

MoMo
Senior Supporter

10/12/13 9:05 PM

I am in my mid-upper twenties. I had an emotionally abusive upbringing. I have been in individual therapy for the past 7 years. Many things have improved but my social phobia simply won't get better.

I live alone and have almost no friends. I can't keep down a job and have trouble interacting with people. I am dying for connection and intimacy but i am too self conscious.

My Psychiatrist is Dr. Shalom Feinberg over the years he's prescribed various medications but they haven't helped. He insists that medication simply doesn't work for me.

I have been in group therapy for a few years and that hasn't helped either.

I used to think that over time it will get better but it refuses to. All my peers have moved on but I'm stuck.

This has brought on severe depression.
With my social phobia it seems I am doomed to a life of emotional pain and isolation. I am worried beyond words.

I don't know where to turn.

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

10/13/13 11:13 AM

In vivo therapy comes to mind. Perhaps you could connect with a life coach or behavior therapist who would be willing to go out with you in social settings posing as a "friend?" You would be his "wingman" and learn from him what and what not to do in social situations until you feel comfortable enough to do things on your own. There was a movie with actor Steve Carrell that protrayed a comedic version of this. There are limitations as to what can be accomplished in an office setting. Sometimes you have to "get out of the box." Let me know how you make out.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

MoMo
Senior Supporter

10/13/13 8:30 PM

I usually know how to act (put up a good front) in social situations. My problem is that I fear that people will see that I am afraid and will discover that I am deficient socially which feels very shameful.

Bottom

MoMo
Senior Supporter

10/13/13 11:01 PM

So I don't see the problem as being about knowing how to act. The problem is that I have a fear of being discovered as a weirdo. This fear permeates all my social interactions making them a bad experience.

Do you still think that In Vivo therapy is the way to go?

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

10/14/13 9:37 PM

Practice makes (a little more) perfect. You may learn a lot more about yourself and how to overcome these fears through therapy in vivo more so than in the office.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Ask the Psychiatrist < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.