Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Medicating child
Created On 11/27/13 6:24 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

mouse
Senior Supporter

11/27/13 6:24 AM
User is offline View users profile

How do I know when a child (11) needs medication for depression? In the past he's been on depression meds (zoloft) but it was mainly due to bullying. He isn't being bullied anymore (new school with kinder kids) but recently over the past several months had become very negative. I suggested to him maybe seeing a therapist or taking meds but he is resistant. (I'm not entirely sure why. I think he believes it is under control.) I just see an unhappy kid coming home from school daily. It's the usual thing of kids getting on his nerves but no targeted bullying from anyone. He seems down in the dumps, but nothing beyond that. His teachers have not noticed this side of him in school. Not sure what to do since he is resistant to medication again.

-------------------------

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

11/27/13 9:00 AM

Would he go to therapy now? How about a "mentor?" What was his response to Zoloft in the past? Would he be open to taking a natural supplement? Does he have hobbies, activities that could be expanded? Let me know.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

11/27/13 3:26 PM

I don't know if he'd go to therapy now. I guess he's 11 and I could force it but I can't force him to talk. I don't think a mentor would be of much use and I don't know where I'd find one. He has a male teacher who is a great role model and he theoretically could talk with but wouldn't. In the past Zoloft worked; however, ultimately what helped him was switching schools away from a bully who was targeting him. (He still spent a year without Zoloft and with the bully so I guess he successfully got off of it. I think he would see a natural supplement the same as a prescription...another pill or whatever he takes that he feels artificially elevates his mood. (Whether that is true or not is a different story.) He does not have after school activites because his school is an hour away and he's tired when he comes home. Even if he wasn't tired, I have severe sleep issues that make night activities impossible. No Sunday activities I know about in this area so I don't know what I could do there.

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

11/27/13 3:36 PM

If no other options and he is in distress, Zoloft comes in a liquid which could be added to a drink. Let me know.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

11/27/13 5:33 PM

Isn't that kind of nasty to sneak him medication without him knowing???

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

11/27/13 10:19 PM

He could be aware of it but may not mind as much as it is not "the pill."

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Ask the Psychiatrist < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.