Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Risperdal/Risperdone
Created On 1/12/14 9:16 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

toy123
Senior Supporter

1/12/14 9:16 AM

I used to be on 8mg of Risperdal/Risperdone and in May of 2013 in the hospital they took me off it completely. The past three weeks I've been having really bad urges, so bad that I'm afraid to leave the house for fear of what will happen...... Friday I called my psychiatrist, and begged for help but made it clear to her that I'm NOT going to the hospital..... She prescribed me Risperdal only 1mg and it knocked me out completely. Does it make sense? When I was on 8mg it actually did nothing for me but now 1mg totally knocked me out. Also it's making me sluggish so I'm not as active but the urges are still there. Is the medication supposed to take the urges away? Also will I have urges for the rest of my life?????????

-------------------------
Sometimes you need to run away just to see who will follow you.

Sometimes when I say "I'm okay", I want someone to look me in the eyes, hug me tight and say "I know you are not".

Just because I'm smiling doesn't mean I'm happy.

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

1/12/14 1:18 PM

Could be you became tolerant to the side effects of Risperdal at the higher dose but once you got off of it, you are more sensitive to the sedation at this time. What else are you taking and what else have you tried? What is the diagnosis? Let me know.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

toy123
Senior Supporter

1/12/14 3:58 PM

Diagnosis is bpd and mdd. Taking lithium 600 bid, Wellbutrin 450 am, Valium 10mg tid, Buspar 5mg tid, now Risperdal 1mg am. I tried latuda for urges but instead of helping me it made me more suicidal, and highered my urges so it was stopped immediately. The valium isn't really helping me I built up a tolerance to it. I'm also on Metformin, Januvia, Amaryl, Zocor. I'm also suffering from low blood pressure especially when getting up, and high heart rate which my general doctor is not sure if it is coming from my psych meds or not. Today I didn't feel the tiredness so much.....

Sometimes when I say "I'm okay", I want someone to look me in the eyes, hug me tight and say "I know you are not".

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

1/12/14 7:03 PM

Have you tried Abilify instead of Risperdal? Let me know what else you have tried.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

toy123
Senior Supporter

1/12/14 7:20 PM

Yes I have tried abilify and it was awful. It gave me an awful appetite. I've tried a lot of anti-psychotics.... I'm desperate for something to lessen my urges..... I would love your help!!!!!

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

1/12/14 7:58 PM

Naltrexone? Topirimate? Let me know.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

toy123
Senior Supporter

1/14/14 10:02 PM

Naltrexone - never even heard of it. Toprimate I think I did try. Also can 1mg of Risperdal cause raise in blood sugar?

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

1/15/14 12:40 AM

Risperdal can raise blood sugar. Let me know how you make out.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

toy123
Senior Supporter

1/15/14 2:01 AM

At such a low dose? Also at this low dose 1mg can is make u run to the bathroom a lot? I am having these symptoms. My blood sugar was already elevated and out of control s ok I'm not sure it's the risperdal. What would u recommend as something else but also in this family to help control urges? I already tried latuda and it was a DISASTER!!!!

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

1/15/14 2:07 AM

Blood sugar can be monitored on Risperdal which can affect blood sugar at any dose. Naltrexone and Topimirate should not affect blood sugar like the atypical antipsychotic family which includes Risperdal, Invega, Saphris, Fanapt, Geodon, Latuda, Zyprexa, Seroquel, Seroquel XR, Abilify etc.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

toy123
Senior Supporter

1/16/14 11:31 AM

I did try Latuda and instead of helping it was a DISASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!! It made me very suicidal, and made my urges go up.... so the reason she put me on risperdal was because it helped in the past for this reason. My only problem is that I become tolerant to meds very quickly so I ended up on 8mg. When I was ion the hospital in May they took me off it completely....

Also how do I know whether it's helping me or not?

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

1/16/14 11:48 AM

Sounds like Latuda is not for you.

Bottom

toy123
Senior Supporter

1/16/14 12:10 PM

Thank you for your response but you didn't answer my question, how can I know that it's helping me or not? And also can it make me run to yhe bathroom more often, and dry me up? I am on lithium......

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

1/16/14 12:22 PM

Lithium can affect the kidneys causing you to run to the bathroom more often. One way to tell if medication is helping or not is to be confronted with similar situations with and without the medication and see if your response is improved on the medication or not. If you cannot tell, perhaps others around you notice a positive change? Let me know how you make out.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

toy123
Senior Supporter

1/16/14 12:34 PM

ok thank you. sorry but i have another question. i asked my dr to give me the medication cuz right now going through a VERY difficult time. when this time passes would it be okay to go off the med given that the med did help the urges and i might still get urges even if i'm not going through such a difficult time.....

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

1/16/14 12:37 PM

Best to stay on medication if you might still get urges if you're not going through such a difficult time. Discuss with your doctor risks and benefits of this approach.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Ask the Psychiatrist < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.