Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: TBI
Created On 1/31/14 6:16 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Cutiestarr
Senior Supporter

1/31/14 6:16 AM

Do you know any doctors (psychologists, psychiatrists, neurologists, GPs, etc.) who specialize and/or treat TBI?

Thank you

Bottom

MoMo
Senior Supporter

1/31/14 8:11 AM

Did you c"v sustain a TBI?

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

1/31/14 8:18 AM

Contact binausa.org
Let me know how you make out.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

Cutiestarr
Senior Supporter

2/1/14 6:12 PM

Yes. I was hit by a garbage truck on Monday. Came out of the hospital erev Shabbos.
B"h I am alive since I did not have a fatal brain bleed.
Not really functional.

Bottom

I'mTrying
Senior Supporter

2/1/14 10:28 PM

Refuah Shleima, cutiestarr.
Would you be willing to share your Hebrew name? Otherwise I will pray for you without your name as I'm sure Gd will know who I am referring to...

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

2/2/14 12:51 AM

Wow! Refuah sheleima!

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

2/2/14 9:50 AM
User is offline View users profile

wow! Refuah shlaima!!

Bottom

Cutiestarr
Senior Supporter

2/2/14 5:18 PM

Thank you so so much to everyone.

Dr. Price - I am supposed to stay in a dark room for cognitive rest. I'm not supposed to be on the computer either to rest my brain but I wanted to ask you something

I feel traumatized. I am scared to go out of my house because my reaction to things is slow and I had a taxi whiz by me without realizing it until a few seconds later. I am scared I will be hit by a taxi. I am scared of the subway. I'm scared of all forms of transportation.

The accident was only a week ago. I am overwhelmed with doctors visits, police reports...all my doctors say I need a lawyer because the truck was a government vehicle and that they should be reimbursing me for my costs, otherwise I will go bankrupt from the expenses even with health insurance

I am currently dependent on chesed volunteers to help me 24/7 and I feel guilty; I don't want to be a chesed case

Is my anxiety and fear reaction normal?

Edited: 2/2/14 at 5:24 PM by Cutiestarr

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

2/2/14 6:19 PM

Sounds like a severe reaction to trauma which is understandable.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

MoMo
Senior Supporter

2/2/14 7:27 PM

Wow
Refua Shlaima!!!!!!

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

2/2/14 8:00 PM

cutiestarr, refuah shelaima! It sounds like you're going thru a lot. I hope you get better soon.

-------------------------

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

Cutiestarr
Senior Supporter

2/3/14 7:19 AM

"A severe reaction" - meaning, an overreaction? So in these circumstances a typical reaction would be moderate or mild anxiety (or none)? Just wanted to clarify. Thanks!

Bottom

Cutiestarr
Senior Supporter

2/6/14 8:51 AM

Dr. Price, I imagine you must be very busy, but just wanted to follow up on my previous question. Thanks again.

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

2/6/14 9:04 AM

Not over-reaction but a very intense effect from trauma.

Refuah Shelayma,

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

star
Senior Supporter

2/6/14 4:33 PM

i thought its called PTSD?post traumatic stress disorder? refuah shelaima cutie.

there is light at the end of the tunnel

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

2/6/14 4:39 PM

Acute Stress Disorder in the name they give to severe response to trauma that has happened recently such as within the past month. PTSD is diagnosed if the reaction to the trauma persists past 1 month.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

Cutiestarr
Senior Supporter

2/6/14 10:46 PM

Sorry it seems you may have missed my last question

My question was: would a typical reaction after being hit by a truck be mild anxiety, moderate anxiety, or none?

I am currently in a physical rehabilitation hospital and have limited email access but thank you in advance for your response.

Bottom

Cutiestarr
Senior Supporter

2/6/14 10:46 PM

Thank you so much star

Bottom

MoMo
Senior Supporter

2/7/14 12:50 AM

Dr. Price never said that your reaction is atypical. What he said is that it's a very intense response. Anyone exposed to an acute trauma might experience that response.

Anyways, who cares how others would react? You're not others you're you.

Refua Shlaima!!!

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

2/7/14 3:57 AM

Everyone processes trauma differently-mild, moderate and severe emotional responses are all possible. Most important is that you receive proper rehabilitation for mind and body.

Good Shabbos,

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

Cutiestarr
Senior Supporter

2/7/14 9:10 AM

You're right, Momo. Good point.

Bottom

Cutiestarr
Senior Supporter

2/8/14 11:27 PM

Edited: 2/9/14 at 8:32 AM by Cutiestarr

Bottom

Cutiestarr
Senior Supporter

2/18/14 8:17 PM

My frumsupport friends,

Thank you so much for your well wishes.

I wanted to reach out. I am very slow and the doctor said I have moderate-severe cognitive deficits.

I barely understand a conversation so people make fun of me. It is terrible.

I was in the neurologist's office when the secretary asked me to take off my clothes and put on a gown. I said, "oh thank you but I'm just here for my head." She said, "Are you here to see a psychiatrist or a neurologist?" So I said "Is a traumatic brain injury neurology or psychiatry?" She said neurology.

Then I told the doctor what she said. The doctor brought her in and agreed her comments were inappropriate. I asked, "Is there a psychiatrist who works in this practice?" She said no, then I asked her why she would ask me if I was seeing a psychiatrist if there is no psychiatrist in the office. She said I looked confused. I told the doctor she was a great doctor, but because of her abusive office staff I would not be coming back.

I feel like this is a safe place to go. People are so cruel to me.

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

3/3/14 2:33 AM

Cutie, I for one am glad you stuck up for yourself....you have guts. I don't think I would. You should feel good about that.

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

Cutiestarr
Senior Supporter

3/15/14 11:24 PM

Dr Price -

Just to clarify, the diagnosis beyond around 6 weeks after traumatic brain injury regarding symptoms such as these is classified as post-concussive syndrome. This is separate from PTSD, which may occur concurrently but should be differentiated.

In addition, you note the possibility of Acute Stress Disorder in traumatic brain injury. According to the literature, "It is often difficult to accurately determine the presence of anxiety disorders following TBI because clinical presentation in people with TBI is complex. Individuals with TBI frequently have difficulties in cognitive, behavioral, and emotional functioning. These problems frequently overlap with presentation of anxiety symptoms, with the severity of the TBI compounding the level of anxiety." (Psychological treatment for people with anxiety in traumatic brain injury, Soo C and Tate R.) The article touches upon the complex and difficult question of where neurological symptoms begin and psychological causes may be more appropriately accountable.

Much attention on this website has been paid to physical causes of psychological symptoms. I admire your suggestions in other parts of the forum, for example, that blood tests be performed to rule out such causes. I continue to be interested in the mind-body connection, and admire your ability to do the same. I hope this will serve as a prominent example of the complex systems we have, and that attributing my symptoms to a psychological cause is no simple matter, and likely beyond the scope of this online forum.

Thank you for the opportunity to educate you and the frumsupport community about traumatic brain injury. Hope you are well, and a freilichen Purim to you

Edited: 3/16/14 at 12:00 AM by Cutiestarr

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Ask the Psychiatrist < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.