Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Bald at 20!
Created On 7/6/14 5:22 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

7/6/14 5:22 PM
User is offline View users profile

Im not even sure what to ask here. I basically have trichotillomania. I pull out my hair A LOT!!! I used to pull my eyebrows/lashes but I managed to stop. Not I pull from my head and I have huge bald spots. Im not sure what to do.
By now I should probably be wearing a shaitel but since im frum, people can spot one from a mile away, no matter how natrul looking.
Any way you could help me?
Thanks

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

7/6/14 7:22 PM

Cognitive Behavior Therapy and a couple medications can help.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
Www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

7/6/14 9:38 PM

Ok, thanks

Bottom

Leah Anderson
Supporter

7/10/14 1:06 PM

Someone very close to me has trich too. She wore a shaitel. It is a very hard habit to control. You can find out more at http://www.trich.org/
You can message me if you have any questions. Hugs!

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

7/10/14 5:03 PM

Thanks! the only problem is that sheitels are really expensive =(

Bottom

wishtobehappy
Senior Supporter

7/10/14 8:59 PM

Maybe you can try hair extentions. They're way more affordable than shaitels, require almost no maintenance, and look totally natural. I have a sister who wears one, and had she not told me about it, I would never be able to tell.

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

7/11/14 12:04 PM

Thanks for ths suggestion, but I need a place to get them done... And dont you have to have hair to stick the extentions too? And Ihave so much baldness that extensions might be more expenisve...
I was thinking those "Nets" that they stick to your head and lets your hair grow underneath but once again I dont know where to get those...
Its almost the three weeks anyway so I guess Ill have to look weird for at least 3 weeks more...=(

Bottom

wishtobehappy
Senior Supporter

7/11/14 1:20 PM

I don't know anything about the nets.

You'd need to ask a posek, but I believe it's okay to do these things in the three weeks for cosmetic reasons.

From what I know, you don't need to get extentions done. You can buy them, and they're not expensive. I think they range between $30-$70 a piece. I have no clue what your hair looks like, but you don't need that much hair to hold it in place.

In any case, Dr Price's suggestions above will probably be a better solution long-term. I Hope things improve for you soon!

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

7/16/14 11:25 AM

Ok, thanks for the help!!!

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Ask the Psychiatrist < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.