Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Celexa side effects?
Created On 5/19/15 9:21 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

TBear
Senior Supporter

5/19/15 9:21 PM

Hi Dr. Price,

So I ended up in the Dr's office with chest pain and unable to breathe with all the stress from my daughter's mental decline. He gave me an anti-inflammatory shot and did an EKG. My heart was doing some extra "cha cha" beats... blood pressure low to normal... meanwhile I had a major panic attack in the office after a triggered flashback. Came back to the present with him yelling at me to breathe. He prescribed - 2 weeks of anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxers, and 6 months of celexa (with follow up visits) saying i needed to reduce my stress. (I had a physical not 4 months ago and all was good including cholesterol, blood pressure, EKG and stress test) He said that emotional stress can cause heart problems to an otherwise healthy unclogged heart....

So the question - I feel more depressed / apathetic than ever - but I am sleeping - which was a problem before.... just have no energy now and I have been on the celexa 3 weeks. Is this a side effect or is this a deepening of the depression/ anxiety from my situation? (the medicine or me?) How long does Celexa take to have an effect?

Today I was having a hard time breathing again... My therapist observed that although I feel blank most of the time - my body is holding the pain.... my daughter is still gone - she does call from time to time... she was oscillating in her mood again, manic - I am very worried, and can do so little about it.... dissociation has been my defense for so long...

Thanks,
TBear

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

5/20/15 7:51 AM

Celexa can cause apathy and fatigue (may be better when taken at night if causing fatigue) and EKG abnormalities above 40mg. Celexa can take 4 to 6 weeks to work at an adequate dose. Let me know how you make out.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

TBear
Senior Supporter

5/20/15 10:57 AM

I am on 20 mg, already taking it at night. The EKG abnormalities were before the celexa was prescribed.

Will ask the doc on my follow up visit....

Thanks!

Bottom

TBear
Senior Supporter

6/22/15 12:13 AM

Rabbi Price,

I have gotten used to the celexa at this point. I can tell my anxiety reactions are definitely better - the heart has steadied out and I continue to sleep better most of the time. But the depressive symptoms seem worse. Also - it seems that the "walled away" memories and DID pieces of me seem to be much closer to the surface and awareness - I am pulled into flashbacks more easily and switching is actually harder, co-consciousness easier -every part of me and memory that was blocked is closer to the surface - more available to awareness and working with..... but with the crisis of my daughter going on I have no energy to deal with the stuff - so have to keep "shelving" it and putting the brakes on the flashbacks.

What does the drug do to the reactions of the brain chemicals? I did some reading and it seems to inhibit some chemicals - why would it make the stuff stored in trauma memory come out more? Is it because the anxiety is dampened - and also the trauma "cut-off" . For instance - I used to be able to just shut off sadness or tears like flipping a switch - I can't seem to do that anymore.

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

6/22/15 12:12 PM

Usually SSRI's like Celexa help with tears, shutting off emotions etc. Therapy can bring more things to the surface until they are dealt with. Speak with your doctor about whether a higher dose or a higher dose of another SSRI would help.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

TBear
Senior Supporter

7/28/15 10:56 PM

I ended up in Urgent care - my blood pressure and heart rate had gotten too low.... totally exhausted and depression was extreme.

Blurry vision, lightheaded... blood work looked OK, no inner ear troubles or dehydration - everything seemed fine so they are saying it is the Celexa - so I am now coming off of it - titrating slowly even though I was only on it 2 months..... UGH

Not sure if it is depression - or mourning because of some stuff I am going through.... before the Celexa I was only mildly depressed and extremely stressed - after taking Celexa I was dangerously depressed and nothing mattered - so there was no panic or anxiety - I just didn't care - not at all like me, I am usually high energy.

Changing from my General Practitioner to a psychiatrist.... because I still am in the middle of some high stress. Anything not as hard on the heart and blood pressure but helps with panic attacks, anxiety? That way I will be informed when I meet this psychiatrist.....

Thanks as always!

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

7/29/15 1:49 AM

There are genetic tests of liver and brain enzymes that can help a practitioner determine which psychotropic medications you may be sensitive to before trying another one. One company that offers this testing is Genesight. It is a simple swap of the inside of your cheek which the doctor then sends to the lab. You do not have to use Genesight but if your doctor contacts them, they can tell you which individual tests are included in the panel of testing, many of which can be ordered individually. Let me know how you make out.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

Shver
Supporter

7/30/15 9:57 AM

Do you know what is the charge for a typical genetic test like this ?
I assume this would be paid out-of-pocket i.e. not covered by insurance.

I looked at the Genesight web site. Tests must be ordered by a physician.
Are there any labs that will perform these tests at the request of the patient.

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

7/30/15 10:15 AM

Genesight works with insurance. All tests require doctor's prescription.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Ask the Psychiatrist < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.